PDA

View Full Version : ZYS MkII - Squier Telecaster - Reverend Hellhound

Robert
October 22nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Blaze's comment about me having gear that is "too good" (Suhr, Marshall) made me think. I decided to give it a go with my cheap old Squier Standard Tele (with DiMarzio pickups).

I used my Reverend Hellhound, which is no boutique amp. Similar to Fender Deluxe Reverbs perhaps (but I think the Fenders sound better). The Reverend is set to have a little bit of grit - it's not completely clean, as you can hear in the beginning. I like to set my amps with a little bit of breakup. At one point in the video, I play with just the boost, and you can tell it makes the amp go into overdrive tone itself. A clean, hotter signal into an amp like this generates an overdrive sound from the amp itself. Hope this makes sense.

I tried to show some different styles and approaches and tones, and as a result, it's long! I apologize for the bull**** wanking again... it's 18:52 of guitar wankage noodling.

This guitar is cheap and doesn't stay in tune so well either, so I apologize in advance for the out of tune playing here and there...

But how does it sound? I would have no problem doing gigs with this simple rig... I get great lead tones as well as for rhythm playing, at least for my style of playing.

p1cenDDWfgQ

piebaldpython
October 22nd, 2009, 11:21 AM
Some interesting noodling there Robert. That being said....that ain't a cheap git you have there solely by virtue of having DiMarzio pups in it and not the stock ones.

Good pups, cheap git, super pedal, damn good amp.

Robert
October 22nd, 2009, 11:26 AM
Pretty cheap guitar though... those 2 pickups cost me $100, and the guitar was around $200... :)

Tone2TheBone
October 22nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
Nice slippers Robby.

Nicer pedal.

Video cam ain't bad either. Good vid.

Robert
October 22nd, 2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks Tone! Did you spot my eczema patch on my right hand? :D

helliott
October 22nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Pretty great playing and tone. It's the player, not the gear. Love that yellow screamer. Off to investigate now.

Kazz
October 22nd, 2009, 04:21 PM
Helliot....no need to investigate just say ZYS ZYS ZYS and before you know it...DuhVoodooMan will apppear :-)

Robert....man that sound is sick dude.....sick in a good way of course....

Kazz
October 22nd, 2009, 04:24 PM
I dont see any pictures of that Tele in your album Robert?

duhvoodooman
October 23rd, 2009, 07:40 AM
Love that yellow screamer. Off to investigate now.
All the gory details available here:

http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/zys_mkII.htm

Current price is $165 + shipping, for anyone interested....

Robert
October 23rd, 2009, 07:50 AM
Kazz, man you have a long signature! You should try and tighten that one up a bit...

The Tele I've had for a long time. It's just a low end Squier but it sounds good. Not sure what album you are referring to.

Kazz
October 23rd, 2009, 08:18 AM
Kazz, man you have a long signature! You should try and tighten that one up a bit...

The Tele I've had for a long time. It's just a low end Squier but it sounds good. Not sure what album you are referring to.

Your photos :-) Yeah I will clean it up probably Monday...I have the day off then.

Robert
October 23rd, 2009, 09:05 AM
Your photos :-) Yeah I will clean it up probably Monday...I have the day off then.

Photos where? I have photos in a lot of place online... :)

Tig
October 23rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Wow, you really put the OD side of the pedal through it's paces. Nice demo, and yes, the Squier Tele sounds great in the right hands.

As usual, my gear never has that magical sound. Everything must be defective, 'cause it sure ain't me! :crazyguy

Until my skills improve, I might as well upgrade my BYOC boxes with fancy new knobs. Besides, they are easier to adjust with my toes when my creaky knees don't like me bending down! (I'm sure I'm not the only one here, eh?)

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/92254ae1c7f0452af.jpg

Robert
October 23rd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks Tig!

The blue knobs look good!

duhvoodooman
October 23rd, 2009, 09:56 AM
Until my skills improve, I might as well upgrade my BYOC boxes with fancy new knobs. Besides, they are easier to adjust with my toes when my creaky knees don't like me bending down! (I'm sure I'm not the only one here, eh?)

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/92254ae1c7f0452af.jpg
Cool blue knobs, Tig! But we gotta get you up to speed on full-face waterslide decalin' there, bro'....

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6235

I'll warn ya though--doesn't make the pedal or your playing sound any better! ;)

Eric
October 24th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Nice slippers Robby.

Too funny. My first question was actually going to be whether he was wearing clogs or slippers.

street music
October 25th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Robert very nice demo again. I don't think the squier could sound any better if said USA Fender on it. My Squier Tele might sound that good if it was in your hands instead of mine. I wish that I had enough experience to just wing it and goof off like you were and still have it make since.