PDA

View Full Version : Sony or Apple?

ibanezjunkie
October 22nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
theres a bunch of new ipods out now, but Sony are a pretty renound name in Audio in the UK anyway. iPod or Sony Walkman?

Robert
October 22nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
iPod of course.

Kodiak3D
October 22nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
iPod.

If for any reason: iTunes.

Eric
October 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
theres a bunch of new ipods out now, but Sony are a pretty renound name in Audio in the UK anyway. iPod or Sony Walkman?

Neither -- I hate proprietary technology in computers.

ibanezjunkie
October 22nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
way i see it is you have to sync ipods and loose anything on there thats not still in your library. with the sony you just put additional tracks on when you feel like it.

im bidding on a G3 nano on ebay, if i loose ill probably get a shuffle, or a walkman.

markb
October 22nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
Creative Zen? I've had a couple of smaller ones and they're good as just a music player apart from the basic menu system. Don't install the included software, it sucks.

sunvalleylaw
October 22nd, 2009, 08:59 PM
I have an iPhone and an old iPod. I like things to work without my fiddling. I have no experience with Sonys, but have a lot of not happy experience with a Sansa that we got for my daughter because we did not want the 6 year old to lose an iPod.

Eric
October 22nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
we did not want the 6 year old to lose an iPod.

I will refrain from my proprietary Apple product diatribe. There's a reason I use Linux.

R_of_G
October 23rd, 2009, 02:50 AM
way i see it is you have to sync ipods and loose anything on there thats not still in your library. with the sony you just put additional tracks on when you feel like it..

with a single click in your iTunes preferences, you can put an iPod on manual sync instead of auto sync and thus do not lose anything that's not in your library when you plug it in. you can add or delete anything you want whenever you want.

@nthony
October 23rd, 2009, 02:54 AM
I've had a creative zen... I liked it very much...it died after 2 years... I've now got a Ipod Shufdfle (1GB) and it's just perfect for what I need. I use it to commute to work, and it's small enough to tag to my shorts when I go out for a run.

I wouldn't touch the Sony's I've heard very bad things about them in terms of reliability and audio quality. They use to eat your memory capacity quite quickly I've heard.

deeaa
October 23rd, 2009, 04:14 AM
iPod, no question. Can't beat Apple's usability and quality.
I have two, an old 40-gigger that's like 10 years old soon, and a 120 gigger.

I've also had a creative player and some others, not as handy. Ipods rule.

...but I hate Macs as computers, go figure.

p.s. you don't have to use iTunes with the pod...I use Yamipod more often for instance. Many loathe iTunes and it IS a buggy and not exactly the best made program out there...but there are alternatives.

Rampant
October 23rd, 2009, 05:51 AM
Hi matey

It all depends what you want it for and what you intend to store on it and use it for...

For my needs, I use classic iPods (1 x 60Gb & 1 x 80Gb). Sync with iTunes (on Vista PC). Although iTunes syncing is easy I really LOATHE apple iTunes (PC) in particular and apple in general... I use Mediaplayer for all ripping to MP3 format at maximum bitrate and download ALL of my music library on the iPod. (I have to point iTunes at the new files before syncing.)

I also have a 250Gb Archos 5 media device - but I don't "sync" this, instead copying all music manually - and what a royal pain in the anus that is :(

Really, for anyone to give meaningful advice, you need to know exactly what you intend to use it for.

Cheerz

Mark H

marnold
October 23rd, 2009, 09:00 AM
I will refrain from my proprietary Apple product diatribe. There's a reason I use Linux.
I hear you. I'm in the same boat.

FWIW, I use my PDA as an MP3 player using PocketTunes. When I buy stuff, I get it from Amazon since they have plain old MP3s with no DRM.

sunvalleylaw
October 23rd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys for not getting into an OS war like on some forums that begin with HC. I was worried when I saw the thread that it might go there. It is almost like a political/religious discussion sometimes. My personal experience is that the proprietary, top of line to bottom of line controlling Apple way works for me, based on how I like to use computers. I am glad that choice is available in the marketplace and that there are options. I realize the majority of the world has purchased otherwise, but Apple hangs in there, and the various OS's push one another. That is what the marketplace is about, and we all makes our choices! :AOK :AOK

BTW, although I like iTunes, and the store, I often purchase my music from Amazon rather than iTunes, if the iTunes version is more, or is not in DRMless form. Again, the market needs to push Apple just like anyone else.

Algonquin
October 23rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
The Ipod Touch is an outstanding little device :AOK Definately worth having a look at!

aeolian
October 23rd, 2009, 09:54 AM
My wife and my daughter both have iPods and I don't like them solely because of the clunky way iTunes work on a Windows PC. Half of the time it won't bring up iTunes properly and recognize the iPod. And I have no idea what I have to do if I want to start using a different computer to plug the iPod into, how it is going to know your library of songs?

I have a Sensa and I like it because my computer just sees it as a regular drive and I can copy and delete easily from it. SVL, what is the problem you are having with your daughter's Sensa?

sunvalleylaw
October 23rd, 2009, 11:44 AM
It is not recognized at all on the machine as a drive, either in Windows or in OSX. I have tried all the re-set tricks I can find online, but nothing seems to re-set it and make it show up. And then it won't turn on and play.

mrmudcat
October 23rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
Apple ,,,,,,nuff said!!!!

ibanezjunkie
October 25th, 2009, 08:15 AM
i need a driver (which i cant find) to add and remove files from my phone. could be a similar problem with the Sensa.

i just put the memory card into my card reader.

anyone tried the new ipod shuffle 4GB? the whole remote-on-the-earphones thing seems abit weird. and the lack of a display.

Jipes
October 26th, 2009, 03:51 AM
way i see it is you have to sync ipods and loose anything on there thats not still in your library. with the sony you just put additional tracks on when you feel like it.

im bidding on a G3 nano on ebay, if i loose ill probably get a shuffle, or a walkman.

It's not necessary to erase what's already on your iPod you can perfectly just add new files :AOK