PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard - POS

ted s
October 22nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Anyone tried it out yet ?
I upgraded last week, wished I didn't. Hiccups with keynote, quicktime, other media viewers. Cocktail utility won't run, video clips won't play inside mail messages as before.
Imac seems to run slower as well.

What say you other Macheads ?

sunvalleylaw
October 22nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
Haven't done it yet. First I heard of problems but sorry to hear you are having them.

Robert
October 22nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
I haven't upgraded yet, but I have been thinking about it. What system do you have? How old is it?

ted s
October 22nd, 2009, 04:48 PM
It's an iMac, about 3-4 years old.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version (system): 1.8f2

Doing a backup right now to prep. for an UP grade back down to 5.1.

vroomery
October 22nd, 2009, 07:20 PM
I upgraded yesterday and the only problem I had was with multiclutch which controls multitouch functions (3 finger swipe) in other programs such as firefox and safari. Everything else works well. Looks a little cleaner and feels quicker too. At some point in the future I'm gonna do a fresh install. Hopefully that'll be easy and painless.

ted s
October 22nd, 2009, 08:05 PM
Interesting... Thanks Vroomery.

ted s
October 23rd, 2009, 09:07 PM
I did a time machine bakup, reloaded 10.5, updated, tried to restore my mail and address book.... Not compatible... Pi$$ me off! Now it's back to loading snowleopard.
Surprised and disappointed.

rylanmartin
October 24th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I have a buddy that upgraded. We both use Presonus Firepods, and I guess snow leopard removed the drivers, rendering the Firepods useless....so much for recording. I'll be sticking with 10.5.8.

I HOWEVER just ordered Logic Studio 9 and am quite looking forward to the goodies inside...

SuperSwede
October 24th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I updated to snow leopard on the release day and havent had any problems (yet).... it seems a bit quicker :)

ted s
October 24th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I have upgraded back to snow leopard and cannot get my address book mail contact etc back from time machine. It gets better all the time.
SS, you wanna pop in over here and fix this for me ?

SuperSwede
October 25th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I have upgraded back to snow leopard and cannot get my address book mail contact etc back from time machine. It gets better all the time.
SS, you wanna pop in over here and fix this for me ?

Sure thing :)

I dont use time machine at the moment but I usually export the contacts to a file (easily done in the menus) and then import them back after a re-install.

Have you tried to repair file permissions on the snow machine / os x drive?

ibanezjunkie
October 25th, 2009, 08:12 AM
my friend upgraded to snow leopard. then almost immediately regretted it.

ted s
October 25th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Got it all back on SL platform, seems ok so far.
There is some enhanced Quicktime player that doesn't play Windows media attachments.
SS, do you still use flipformac on those ?

SuperSwede
October 25th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Got it all back on SL platform, seems ok so far.
There is some enhanced Quicktime player that doesn't play Windows media attachments.
SS, do you still use flipformac on those ?

I havent had any troubles playing videos, I still have flip4mac installed since I didnt do a "fresh install" and opted to upgrade my old 10.5 system instead.. perhaps that is why I have less problems than other 106 users?

ted s
October 25th, 2009, 10:33 AM
It seems fine after a fresh install the long way. Flip work proper now. It must have been operator issues.

marnold
October 25th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Seldom is it easier/better/wiser to upgrade an OS. Dust and reinstall is my motto. That's doubly true of a Windows variant, if for no other reason than to get all of the cruft out of the registry.

SuperSwede
October 25th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Marnold, thats often true for mac systems as well.

ibanezjunkie
October 29th, 2009, 05:18 PM
can you still get 10.5?

im on 10.4 here, and i notice alot of downloads dont support Tiger, Leopard is the minimum.

SuperSwede
October 30th, 2009, 02:09 AM
can you still get 10.5?

im on 10.4 here, and i notice alot of downloads dont support Tiger, Leopard is the minimum.

Most dealers still have boxed 10.5´s and I imagine you could find a used copy very cheap too.

So you have a mac with a G4/G5 processor?