PDA

View Full Version : Stopping String Talk

Kodiak3D
October 22nd, 2009, 08:58 PM
My guitar teacher has me working on "Enter Sandman" by Metallica which is the fastest song I've tried to play so far (still very much a beginner). While I'm getting the basic groove down fairly well, I'm getting a lot of string talk when I pull my fingers off to switch to the next note (which would be great if I were working on pull-offs, but I'm not). I'm using Finger Ease to help, but it's mostly due to my technique.

While I know the simple solution is just "practice pulling your fingers off cleanly," do any of you have any specific suggestions on how to improve my technique to get rid of this problem? It's really annoying, especially with the overdrive on, which is kinda crucial to Enter Sandman...

Plank_Spanker
October 27th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Are you talking about hearing the unwanted open string(s) when you pull your finger(s) off?

Use the palm of your picking hand to mute the strings selectively a bit while you pick with some authority. It's much more of a feel thing than it is expainable technique.

I do it without even thinking about it.........................but I can't really explain it well.........................sorry................ ...

Kodiak3D
October 27th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Yes, that's what I'm talking about.

Thanks for trying to explain your solution:D I'll try it.