PDA

View Full Version : Question about my free video lessons

Robert
October 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Question for those of you who enjoy my free video lessons on www.dolphinstreet.com.

Currently, it works best for me to create shorter lessons, because I have little time to plan out bigger, more complete lessons. This will change this winter, when I plan to start a beginner guitar lesson program.

Anyway, my question is, if I make 3-5 minute free video lessons, what kind of lesson would you be most interested in? Blues licks, inversion of chords, practice ideas, scale/chord demonstrations, tips for improvising, music theory, getting good tone, chicken picking, jazz licks, country licks, funk grooves, what guitar to buy, tapping, sweep picking, alternate picking, finger picking, simple songs, licks from famous players, effect pedal usage, etc. The list could go on and on - there is so much to choose from! There were just from the top of my head, feel free to suggest other topics.

One thing I will avoid is demonstrating how to play certain songs, due to copyright issues.

Let me know and perhaps you can help me make better videos as a result.

Kodiak3D
October 23rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
I'd say your answers will be different for each person. Personally, I'd be interested in the music theory lessons for now.

mrmudcat
October 23rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
blues,scale chord progressions,practice lessons/ideas lastly theory..............this is for my boys of course:happy

Also make it fun brother:happy

sunvalleylaw
October 23rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
For me, just keep keeping on with the licks, improv techniques, theory etc. that build and fill our bag of tools for playing in blues, and blues rock, maybe with some jazz elements thrown in.

Robert
October 23rd, 2009, 01:53 PM
Music theory - in what kind of depth are you thinking? Give some examples.

How do I make it fun, Mud?

sunvalleylaw
October 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
Hmm, well, I would say stick to quicker tips that use a bit of theory, say ways to expand a pentatonic lick with a chromatic move, or different ways to vary and phrase typical licks. Tools that use theory to break people out of the typical box or patterns, and if you have time, mention what theory you are using and how you got there. That would work better than trying to get deeply into theory in your shorter vids. You have done it before with your chromatic lick lesson.

I always enjoy your stuff, and you already do a good job. Just reinforcing these are the things I am interested in. Tools to put in my bag to develop as a player.

Eric
October 23rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
The things I would like to know most are not just an overview of scales, but a practical guide to when to use what scale for a fill or solo in typical I-IV-V songs and how to use them.

For instance, I know where to base the pentatonic scale, and I have a firm grasp of the first-position major scale, but that doesn't mean I know how to make them sound good. I often stumble into stuff that sounds OK, but it's largely by accident. Bends are pure chance most of the time.

This would include stuff like different modes, non-major-scale stuff like how to know when to use a harmonic or melodic minor scale, and how arpeggios along the fretboard can help in a song.

I have a few tricks and bends that I use a lot, but I get sick of doing them, and I don't know how to jump around effectively within a scale, either major or pentatonic.

I like blues, but I play them very rarely, so if it was rooted in rock/pop, it would be more useful for me.

I'm also interested in how to use double-stops, little circular patterns (e.g. 3, hammer 5, up a string to 3, back down to 3, hammer 5, etc.), and other techniques, but first I need to know what NOTES to play so that it sounds good. Maybe more specifically, WHEN to play the notes and in what order so that it sounds like something I would want to listen to.

Spudman
October 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
I think a really valuable lesson would be to teach the number system (1-4-5 etc). That would allow more new players to start sitting in with more experienced players who can usually call out the number changes. That would up the level of the game a bit.

sumitomo
October 23rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
I was gunna sound off with Mud on chord progressions,which would also go along with Eric's and Spuds replies.You could start a 1,4,5 groove on your looper and show some simple solo ideas and the changes ect.Sumi:D

Robert
October 23rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
Good thoughts, guys! 1, 4, 5 progressions (especially 12 bar blues) are a must to know. I could do that.

I could probably talk for hours about ideas for soloing over these things... better figure out a way to keep it short!

Eric
October 23rd, 2009, 04:02 PM
Good thoughts, guys! 1, 4, 5 progressions (especially 12 bar blues) are a must to know. I could do that.

I could probably talk for hours about ideas for soloing over these things... better figure out a way to keep it short!

If you could say what you are doing when you play the solos and how you figured out what to do, that would be the key IMO. Outline the scale, then show which notes you're playing.

Without this, the viewer is just memorizing someone else's solo, not figuring out how to develop his or her own.

Spudman
October 23rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
What I had in mind was to teach how to know where the 4 or 3 or 5 or flat 6 is in any progression relative to the 1. That way no matter what key someone is in they can play along if somebody feeds them the numbers.

Robert
October 23rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
What I had in mind was to teach how to know where the 4 or 3 or 5 or flat 6 is in any progression relative to the 1. That way no matter what key someone is in they can play along if somebody feeds them the numbers.

You mean the song is in E, and someone shouts "go to the 4" and we play A? Or they call out "go to the 6" and we play C#?

bigG
October 23rd, 2009, 07:11 PM
Robert, this thread poses a tough question. You can't be all things to all people. I think you're gonna have to assume that viewers are at least somewhat accomplished beginners, and go from there, in a natural progression (pun intended). Pepper in a bit of theory, licks, styles just to mix it up as you go. No matter what you do, it's gonna please some and bore others. Relative newbs will be thrilled, more experienced players will appreciate the effort. But, then again, the more experienced players are not your target audience (from what I understand).

My 2 cents...

Robert
October 23rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
My target audience is a little bit of everybody, actually! I want to keep things interesting for both beginners and experienced players, but I can only produce so much (read: not a whole lot) due that other thing called "life"... but it still helps my thought process to get feedback from you guys, so thank you all for adding your 2 cents - they all help!

deeaa
October 24th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I don't even understand what do you guys mean with numbers etc, LOL...I never understood one bit of theory. I have to think hard just to remember what are the open string notes called...I don't know diddlysquat about music theory, notes or scales or anything, I just play by the ear.

But I've played along a couple of your lessons, Robert, the last was the rock thing four bars or what was it, very nice...I just played along with it by ear and it gave me some ideas how to make a simple riff sound very fast and interesting and there was also this jump to a position I hadn't thought of could be handy, as well as different and better phrasing/location of a bend/vibrato. You know how it's so easy to stick to your standard patterns in lead bits etc. and examples like that one always give great ideas.

As a rule I just glean one or two ideas per each lesson I look at, even if there would be more to gain...I watch such lessons very rarely...but that was a very good clip, if I have the time and chance I'll keep checking out your clips.

My main problem seems to be I tend to overplay stuff, I'm always amazed how people play these ultra-fast sounding runs but when I find out how they are played, they aren't even very fast to pick or anything, but cleverly incorporate string changes and pull-offs almost arpeggio-style and the result is a fluid, fast movement with relatively slow picking and finger movement.

rylanmartin
October 24th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I think you need a series of lessons that dissects the brilliant guitar licks of the one and only Nigel Tufnel.

This is greatest guitar lesson of all time and has revolutionized the way I play guitar. I also have this original guitar magazine with this article.

Nigel Tufnel Guitar Lesson (http://www.spinaltapfan.com/articles/guitarworld2.html)

tjcurtin1
October 24th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for that link, Rylan - that was classical (as Nigel might say?)