PDA

View Full Version : Songs that I helped produce/record with my daughter

jpfeifer
October 23rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Hi Everyone,

My daughter who is now in college, has been writing songs over the past year or so. I started recording them with her over the past few months, helping her with the production ideas and playing guitar, mandolin, and bass parts on the various tunes. I'm really happy how they have turned out so far.

I wanted to share them with you to get some feedback on them.
Tune called "Just a Little Sad" was the hardest one to put together. I played a lot of mandolin on it and it really challenged me to get the right feel, etc. I used my Variax to get the dobro and banjo sounds.

It's been fun and we're going to be recording more as she writes brings them to me. Thanks for listening! Here is her page on SoundClick:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1002211

--Jim

Algonquin
October 23rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
Sounds great Jim :AOK Amanda has a wonderful singing voice, and the arrangement on 'Just a Little Sad' is very well done! The new mandolin has a great sound and vibe to it... it must be rewarding to complete a project like this and have it turn out so well.

Now to listen to the other 2 tunes.
Cheers,
David

bigG
October 23rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
Man, Jim (and Amanda), that is simply outstanding! Her writing and voice, the playing, the production; really very very good! Kudos! :applause :AOK

Algonquin
October 24th, 2009, 08:46 AM
All great tunes Jim... are you and your daughter working on any more?

David

jpfeifer
October 24th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the nice comments guys!
Yes, we're working on more songs. She wrote several over the Summer and we work on them when she comes home from college. For each one of them we start by having her play it for me on her guitar and then we just work out production ideas together, which instruments to use, what kind of feel for the drums, etc.

I've been using this drum plugin called EZDrummer that I really like. It helps to capture a decent drum part much faster that it used to be when I had to program a drum machine or something.

We record the tracks one-by-one since I only have a closet in my office for a recording booth.

-- Jim

helliott
October 24th, 2009, 10:31 AM
These songs are terrific. Already e-mailed your daughter on Soundclick. The song structure, vocals, production, lyrics are just a delight to me. Love the production quality, and your instrumentation is top notch.
I also love the Beatle-esque chord changes and harmonies, and the lyric "Memories melting like butter on toast" is terrific -- what great imagery, You must be very proud. :applause :applause :applause :applause

sunvalleylaw
October 24th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I am just blown away. May I please purchase these to put on my iPod/home computer? They are great and I know my wife will really enjoy them as well.

jpfeifer
October 24th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Wow, thanks everyone! I really appreciate the comments. I will forward these to Amanda also.

I am very proud of her. She writes great lyrics and has very good song ideas. She was crazy about the Beatles from a young age, as I started playing their songs for her when she was little. I can hear their influence in her song writing. I'm always telling her that the song ideas and overall vision is the most important part. Without a good song first, there's no amount of production that can make it better.

I'm hoping that she continues writing and recording her songs. Music is not her main passion like it is for me, but she really enjoys it. It's very rewarding for me to help her with these projects.

--Jim