PDA

View Full Version : Mack GEM review and demo here!

Robert
October 24th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Here is my first demo of the Mack GEM. I am excited about this little amp - it looks so cool and has lots of BIG tones in it.

Pricing info and more details at - http://www.mackamps.com/gem-head-combo/

The video below depicts me playing it for the first time. I fiddled with the knobs on the amp quite a bit, to see what different sounds I could come up with.

My initial thoughts are that is that 4 watt / 0.4 watt switch is awesome. I can really loud tones on the 4 watt setting, with the gain selector activated. With that selector of and the amp in 0.4 watt mode, it is low volume but still good tone.

The gain selector switch make the tone dirtier and louder, and it is cool for getting amp distortion at whisper volume. Never had that opportunity in a tube amp before!

The amp is Class A design with one EL84 power tube. The type of gain you get with this type of design is a gritty, growly type - not thick like a Marshall or similar. The video gives you an idea.

I used the Mack 1x10 cabinet here, which has an Eminence Ragin' Cajun in it. It seems like a good little cab. I have never played a 1x10 cabinet before. I later tried the amp through my 2x12, and of course, the sound was much bigger, and that's to expected.

I find I can get tones similar to my Heatseeker, but at lower volume. That's my favourite sound I think. That glassy, dynamic, half clean/half dirty tone with sustain and a responsive attack to one's playing.

Playing this amp is fun! It's dynamic and touch sensitive, even at low volume. It responds well to rolling off the guitars volume knob a bit for a more mellow sound. I can get good blues tone easily, and country twangy tones can be had with no problems either.

Enough talk, have a listen to me play the amp for the first time and see what you think.

gvNzNFd72sQ

tunghaichuan
October 24th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Excellent tones and playing out of that amp. :applause

The clean tones are very nice as well as the medium grit tones.

Have you had a chance to plug in some dirt pedals to see how the high gain tones are? I'd be curious to see how well the Gem takes pedals.

I looked up the data for the 6AC10 tube, very interesting. All the triodes have a theoretical gain of 62, so that tube is in the 12AT7 area in terms of gain.

Since that tube is long out of production and not likely to ever be manufactured again, you may want to stock up on some extras. The good news is that they were never used in a guitar amp, or hifi for that matter, so they are fairly cheap. AES (http://www.tubesandmore.com/) has them for $6.20US.

duhvoodooman
October 24th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I had the same reaction as Tung--impressed by both the clean & crunch tones that little box puts out. Very nice! It even makes up for your bullsh*t wanking! :poke :rollover

Robert
October 24th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks guys!

Yes, I tried with my gain pedals after I shut off the camera, and I get KILLER gain tones at low volume with this amph with pedals! Sounds awesome with my DD-20 delay too of course.

mrmudcat
October 24th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Robert how much are the head and cab??? Guess I can google it!:french

Robert
October 24th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Mud - see http://www.mackamps.com/gem-head-combo/

Spudman
October 24th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Does the tone knob have an effect on the volume?

duhvoodooman
October 24th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Mud - see http://www.mackamps.com/gem-head-combo/
"Mack Endorsing Artist", eh? Pretty slick there, RR! :AOK :dude :applause

oldguy
October 24th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Robert, that little Mack has a wide range of great sounds.
Both the clean and crunch sounds you noodled on were neat-o-mosquito!:happy

Robert
October 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks guys, Don loved the video and put it on his website right away.

The tone knob doesn't affect the overall volume that much, if my memory serves me right.

bigG
October 24th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Outstanding, Robert! To quote some veiny, administrator-type guy from a while back: "Nice tone!" :cool:

Kudos to Don and Mack Amps, and to your demo! :applause

(VERY cool to be on Mack's page as an Endorsing Artist, demoing the GEM!)

G

SuperSwede
October 25th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Awesome video Robert! ThereĀ“s some killer tones coming out of that amp, I really dig the clean sounds.

street music
October 25th, 2009, 06:44 AM
It sounded very nice Robert, tone was excellent in the clean settings and it is amzing at such small size.

amphead
October 25th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Hey everyone,

Just a quick note about the NOS 6AC10 power tube. They were originally used in televisions and the like and there are thousands of them in circulation.

That's why we decided to base a production amp on a NOS tube - lots of supply and, as noted above, they're inexpensive - less expensive than a JJ 12AX7!

Thanks for the all the kind words about the Gem!

Great playing Robert!

Radioboy950
October 25th, 2009, 09:32 AM
You did a great job of showing the range of tonal possibilities in that little toaster. Cleans are very clear, and the dirt is "hair with clarity".
Good job!

msteeln
October 25th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Again, it's great to have company reps abord to Q&A with.
Can't wait to try one of these.

Who's gonna carry them on Oahu?