PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Bigsby on a LP

Johnny Z
October 24th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Ok, I sold my Strat because I came to the conclusion, I like my LP better and need to size down, you might say I ran out of GAS. The thing is I would love to put a Bigiby on my LP. I've been looking and see the B5 can be put on with an adaptor (Vibramate) so there is no screw holes into the body of the guitar. Has anyone done this? Any advice.

markb
October 24th, 2009, 05:16 PM
A long plate Bigsby like a B7 looks much better on a Lester for my money.
The Vibramate only saves you drillng holes in the top. The holes are small if you go back.

This video shows how to install a a B700 (OK, it's a semi in the vid, but the procedure is the same, B7, B70 use the same process).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23DH-uFn6A8

The licensed Bigsby's (B50, B70) are functionally the same but a fair bit cheaper than the US made models. They're better finished too IMO.

Tig
October 24th, 2009, 05:16 PM
you might say I ran out of GAS.
:eek:
Take two asprin and call me in the morning!

I've seen the retrofit kits that avoid drilling, and am interested as well for down the road.

kiteman
October 26th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Wasn't there a kind that bolts on to the butt end of the guitar?

You know, where the strap button is.

Duff
October 27th, 2009, 11:28 AM
There is one for the LP that uses the stock posts or post holes on the LP. I have seen one and talked to the guy that has it on a Gibson LP Special. He says it bolts right up and he is a professional guitar tech that handles the Harrisburg, Pa. hinterland. Major pros utilize his shop, Full Custom Music, Leymoyne, Pa., no affltn.

A correctly mounted one of these on an LP would definitely be fun to have.

Let me know how the project went if it went.

Thanks,

msteeln
October 27th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Do a search on these vibramate and other styles to get experienced opinions. There are some negative comments about them to the point I've decided drilling and flush mounting is the way to go. Probably translates to better tone as well.