PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7?

ibanezjunkie
October 25th, 2009, 08:19 AM
waste of money or worth the upgrade? i get on fine with Vista, but i do use 4GB of ram to get it to run smooth.

the professional computer engineers in the area (my dad one of them) say its a useless operating system and are going to stick to XP. i know there are a few PC enthusiasts here, thought it worth the ask.

p.s. the windows 7 tv commercial is the worst ive seen from any company in a while.

Kodiak3D
October 25th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I know several people who are using Windows 7 (and have been for a while) and they all love it. It's definitely an upgrade from Vista, which was a downgrade from XP.

Of course, it all depends on what you do with your computer. If you're fine with Vista, then there's no real NEED to upgrade right now. However, if you do some memory-intensive tasks, then Windows 7 will be a help.

Tig
October 25th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I played around with a beta version back in the Spring and loved it. It installed smoothly, boots quickly, and was by far the quickest Windows I've ever used, even after loading up anti-virus, various tools, and Office ap's, which usually slow everything down.

I haven't used the full release yet, so I can offer no opinion. I've supported PC and server O/S's since 1985, and have had to deal with all of Microsoft's greatest and most lame O/S's in that role. This is the first one they got right, right out of the box. XP (w/SP3) is in second place.

deeaa
October 25th, 2009, 11:59 AM
waste of money or worth the upgrade? i get on fine with Vista, but i do use 4GB of ram to get it to run smooth.

the professional computer engineers in the area (my dad one of them) say its a useless operating system and are going to stick to XP. i know there are a few PC enthusiasts here, thought it worth the ask.

p.s. the windows 7 tv commercial is the worst ive seen from any company in a while.

So you have 64-bit Vista? Because a 32-bit OS can only use about 3G of RAM, and is typically slower with 3 than 2 due to memory channeling issues, except with some AMD CPU's which have a triple memory channel.

I'm ordering the 64-bit Win 7 Pro OEM in a couple of days, but I don't know if I'll install it yet. Luckily I can get it wholesale, so it's much cheaper than stock. I want to get an SSD drive as well, a couple more gigs of mem and right now is not the best time to buy one; new technology just emerging and in a few months we should get cheaper/faster SSD drives. The current ones are hardly faster than conventional disks anyway, some even slower. I want a 64 gig _fast_ SSD for the OS; then I have regular disks, such as a terabyte RAID-0 array for working files, games and music data/programs and then a half a gigger for backups, downloads and such.

Anyway.

Win 7, yeah definitely. HUGE improvement over Vista. I ran Vista for a year on one machine, and Win7 beta also for a few months. Much much better, although I could live with Vista quite well once it was upgraded properly etc.

BUT I get what your dad is saying...for now, my machines are Xp Pro...although for instance this machine I'm writing on came with Vista, it's been replaced with XP pro. It'll stay that way too, but on the main desktop W7 will find its way soon enough, just need to get the harddrives sorted.

So...my 'breadwinner' work machine will stay XP. For several years still, I believe. I don't even want to think about getting all the Cisco VPN etc. stuff to work with W7, all the configs, network drives and remote access and whatnot...no, win seven will come on the work machine only much later. There is no interest in our workplace to even think of the transition yet. With Vista they tested it on a few machines, found it to be way too much problems, so all machines stay Xp for a while still.

However, if I had Vista on some of my machines, I'd change to win 7 in a heartbeat.

Currently we have a Core 2 machine I run with a 1066MHz bus dualchannel at 3,33 gigahertz, a Siemens 'pro' x-series laptop with a core2, a Samsung NC-10 minimachine, all these with XP Pro, and an Ubuntu box with a P4 plus of course my Mobile win PDA. All the laptops have internal 3,6mbit HSPDA cellular networks and I use my workplace Win2003 server programs over VPN from them.

ibanezjunkie
October 25th, 2009, 12:22 PM
thanks guys.

ill probably get it in a bit when any bugs it has are out in the open. I just got my new laptop last week and feel slightly screwed-over by Microsoft's promise of a 'free' windows 7 upgrade, that is actually going to cost me about £40. and i can get windows 7 home premium 32-bit for about £70 wholesale anyway.

deeaa
October 25th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Yeah...here the 64-bit Pro was 96 in pounds in the wholeseller list today...probably much the same everywhere. And in the stores they're asking 2,5 times that. Nice profit, LOL.

Perfect Stranger
October 25th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Windows 7 is definitely worth the upgrade. It is what Vista should have been!

ibanezjunkie
October 25th, 2009, 04:14 PM
hey guys, slightly off topic question here, but this involves my desktop PC instead of my laptop.

anybody know what this version/display of linux is called? looks a bit like Mac OS X.

http://studiotwentyone.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/screen2.jpg

marnold
October 25th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Looks like KDE 4.x desktop.

ibanezjunkie
October 25th, 2009, 04:53 PM
thought it would be a version of KDE, just didnt know which. GNOME and KWin are a little more greyish looking.

marnold
October 25th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I take that back, it's KDE 3.x since the date says 2007. I don't think 4.x was out yet at that point (although I can't remember for sure). A quick check of the original release date tells me that if it was 4.x it was a pre-release version.