PDA

View Full Version : Hello from abroad (from abloke!)

Hercy B. Goode
October 25th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Well, hello geezers and geezettes!*

My name is Hercules (no, really), and I've been playing 6 years or so. A super-cool friend of mine (Barre Fly) reccommended the site to me and I liked what I saw, so, here I am.

My equipment at the mo' is pretty bog standard considering it's been 6 years, but all I have is the Squier Strat I got from Argos, a standard Marshall amp (50W, methinks, as I killed the original Marshall that came with the guitar, in a moment of trying-to-annoy-a-flatmate feedback-universe-imploding-in-on-itself madness), a Wah pedal, and a phaser.

Have been chucking round the idea of changing things up, but Plankton have convinced me you can do anything with a Strat and a Marshall, so I may just save up for really nice ones of both.

Anyway, fell in love with the guitar when I first heard Don't Fear The Reaper, Buck Dharma was my first guitar hero and I used to spend 8 hours a day trying to play his stuff. I like my guitar playing to have tasteful flashiness (panachiness?). A fair amount of notes and layers and bits sweeping in and out and all around, but not so much to the point of indulgence or wankery or to the point where it just sounds all whiddly-wheedly-widdledooh.

My lead playing is very good, my chords less so, and since discovering Plankton, I have been filled with a crazy desire to make the most of my playing. Wanna take things to the next level, get rid of bad habits, and get a bit of direction. This forum seems super-good for that kind of thing.

So, I guess that should do for now. Hello, and pleased to be here!

*i understand 'geezer' in the US means 'old guy', but in the UK, it's a term of respect

oldguy
October 25th, 2009, 05:11 PM
*i understand 'geezer' in the US means 'old guy', but in the UK, it's a term of respect

Yup, that'd be me.............
Welcome to TheFret!:happy

evenkeel
October 25th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the group. :applause :happy

peachhead
October 25th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Welcome, to both you and your whiddly-wheedly-widdledooh! :D

sunvalleylaw
October 25th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Welcome Herc! Glad you joined the party!

Rampant
October 26th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Greetings Hercules (though I guess we should call you Johnny:) )

Welcome to the Fret. Where in the UK?

Mark H

Robert
October 26th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Welcome Hercules. Good to see people from all corners!

Tig
October 26th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Oi! from Texas, Herc. :beer:
(usually it's "Howdy from Texas") :D

Algonquin
October 26th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Welcome to the Fret Hercy!
Cheers :beer:

Monkus
October 26th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Welcome! :cool:

Hercy B. Goode
October 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks all for the warm welcome!

And Mark, I am a Lahndahner!

bigG
October 27th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Whoops, missed this one somehow. :thwap

Welcome aboard, Hercules! :beer:

markb
October 27th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Hi there from an expat London boy (and I use that loosely).

mrmudcat
October 27th, 2009, 11:03 PM
WELCOME:cool:

Rampant
October 28th, 2009, 03:52 AM

Ahhh.

Oh well, my sympathy matey - I guess we all have a cross to bear! lol

:D

'My location' says Lincoln, but I s'pose you could label me an immigrant from jock-land...

(. )( .)

Hercy B. Goode
October 28th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah, the touristy bits can be a bit much. Way too many people, walking way too slow around the Tottenham Court Road / Picadilly Circus area, but a 5 minute walk away can take you to nicer, cooler parts of the city.
Plus, I'm never more than 20 minutes away from Tin Pan Alley. Pure look-shamefully-at-your-wallet eye candy!

Brian Krashpad
October 28th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Oi welcome Herc.

ibanezjunkie
October 29th, 2009, 12:35 PM
yay another brit.

hows it going fella?

deeaa
October 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Hi there from an expat London boy (and I use that loosely).

I thought it was s'posed to be said 'Lon'n boy'? ;-) maybe it's a variant of some neighborhood...seemed to me any londoner I ever met kinda left their d's unpronounced pretty much.

And hey, welcome Hercules from a rather noob here meself. Not Poirot, I assume BTW? ;-)

Hercy B. Goode
October 30th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Well, he said he's an expat. When you leave Lahndahn, they return the d's they confiscated.

Heh, not Poirot. I was always more of a Columbo lad, anyway.

luvmyshiner
October 30th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Welcome aboard Herc.

NWBasser
October 30th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Welcome from another BOC fan and noob to here.

I'm sort of opposite you on guitar as I don't play much lead, but do enjoy chordwork. Sort of funny, but whenever I make an attempt at lead it's usually based around some sort of bassline idea I have.

Sometimes that works....sort of.

Hercy B. Goode
November 2nd, 2009, 02:39 PM
NWBasser, always nice to meet another BOC fan :cool:

I used to jam with some guys, but I could never convince them to play anything which had more than three chords in it. The most complex song we ever played was Aqualung (which was so much fun), so how would you feel about collaborating on a couple of BOC covers?

Barre Fly
November 4th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Herc :luvit

duhvoodooman
November 11th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Catching up on my w-a-a-a-a-y overdue welcomes, so WELCOME to The Fret, Herc! :dude

FrankenFretter
November 11th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Greetings, Hercules. I had the pleasure of seeing BOC at a small club in Bellingham, Washington (USA) some years ago. I was able to get about 15 feet from the stage, so it was a pretty close look at Mr. Dharma and friends. He really is great...and short!

Welcome to The Fret!

-Sean