PDA

View Full Version : I like Big Muff ;)

thekiwidisciple
October 26th, 2009, 12:58 AM
How are we all? Recently bought a Sovtek Big Muff off a member of another guitar forum. It is freaking awesome! Why do people say it sounds crap at low levels? I'm boosting it with a MI Audio Blues Pro in front of it and it's amazing. I can get some really nice Gilmourish tones, and it's even inspired me to learn some of his "The Final Cut" work...

Anyone else have one?

markb
October 26th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I had a Russian Muff in the wooden crate with the Cyrillic script years ago. I now use an Ibanez Soundtank 60s fuzz, a nice cheap Muff type. To be honest they're a bit over the top for me.

Rampant
October 26th, 2009, 05:50 AM
One cannot help but snigger at your thread title.

hehehe

Well done,sir :D

thekiwidisciple
October 26th, 2009, 08:32 AM
LOL! The box arrived, I opened it and found a note saying: "Hi Ben, hope this muff is big enough for your liking. Hope you enjoy it!"

I've always found it rather amazing that BYOC would actually call their clone the "Large Beaver".

duhvoodooman
October 26th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I've always found it rather amazing that BYOC would actually call their clone the "Large Beaver".
Questionable name or not, that BYOC kit makes one mean Muff!! I love mine (http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/megamuff.htm). I modded the kit, which already has a 4-position EQ control, with a 3-way switch for different clipping combos. Lots of tonal flexibility!

As you referenced, Kiwi, I really don't understand the bad press the BMP gets at all. For warm, smooth, endless sustain, it's very tough to beat. And if you find the commercial versions too mid-scooped, the EQ settings available on the BYOC version will get around that limitation nicely....

kiteman
October 26th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I like mine trimmed. :D

thekiwidisciple
October 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I like mine trimmed. :D
Goodness me. *shakes head*

Ro3b
October 26th, 2009, 07:08 PM
And then of course there's the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. :dude

I love my NYC Big Muff. Stacked with my OCD it's a mighty sound. One of these days I'll build the BYOC kit, though.

duhvoodooman
October 26th, 2009, 08:14 PM
...One of these days I'll build the BYOC kit, though.
You should, indeed. And though the parts aren't included, they give you a bill of materials for a WH Swollen Pickle modification and the PCB is all set up for it. They refer to it as the "Pickled Beaver". Haven't tried it myself, though....