PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Guitars vs. Flying with Guitars

djmcconnell
October 26th, 2009, 11:03 PM
My son is moving to Alaska (from Minnesota) this week, and we're sorting out how to get his acoustic guitar -- a Seagull with a TRIC case -- to him in one piece.

I'd appreciate some guidance from the community on what's worked best for you.

The recent video about United Breaking guitars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo) doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the airline route.

Spudman
October 27th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Ship to a business location and insure it well. The shippers seem to be able to get packages to businesses quicker and cheaper than to residences for some reason.

wingsdad
October 27th, 2009, 08:00 AM
This prob'ly goes without saying, but detune the strings a 1/2 or full step, tuck bubble wrap or such to fill gaps in the case, and box it. I scrounged guitar boxes from the local music store...just big enough. Tape it securely on all ends, as well as 'longways' and around the middle, at least twice in each direction.

To avoid mishandling by airlines, I've shipped ensured FedEx Ground, 3 guitars - 1 acoustic, 2 electrics - to fellow fretters here, and 4-5 others to others. Takes as much as 4-5 days to get cross-country, but never had a problem. To residence or business.

djmcconnell
October 27th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Great points, all. I'll ask our local shop if I can get a box from them.

Geraint Jones
October 27th, 2009, 05:30 PM
They don`t call the baggage handlers chuckers for nothing .

ibanezjunkie
October 28th, 2009, 02:41 AM
my guitars have all been shipped by courier in the past. They seem to do a fine job.

find a reputable long-distance courier. in the US, maybe Federal express.