PDA

View Full Version : Some guitar players you should hear, if you haven't already!

Perfect Stranger
October 27th, 2009, 11:46 AM
How about a list of guitar players that you feel might be a little overlooked but should be sought out and listened to? Don't list the Super Stars, everybody already knows them. Bring some new.....or old....music to the table.

I'll start off with a small list to get ya'll started...

Jonny Lang - DayCrQWJXuI

Sonny Landreth - 4oNFRWXDSA8

Buddy Guy - xuRhaDrnlWo

Warren Haynes - Gov't Mule - n4s4hW-oGZ0

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - tADpgP4Nh2U

Roy Buchanan - lLhdS-8-YS8

Derek Trucks - Vuadh1o0yC8

Walter Trout - JSbZBZjIDVI

Masaki Matsubara - ZHFvt5L4nHs

Stanley Jordan (check this cat out on youtube) - HjXN3OLgoqs

Alvin Lee - (Ten Years After) - tHw9b4BBV9Y

Buck Dharma - (Blue Oyster Cult) - TTW19g-uUTw

Bonnie Raitt - for slide guitar - rT-FoZt95D4

Gary Hoey - wCwBiahYcWg

Joe Bonamassa - GlO117rMKrE

Michael Romeo - PG2804ggsI0

Peter Frampton - his instrumental stuff - 95Zoa2FjnjE

Robben Ford - 3V7mZtHZZuo

Michael Kang - (String Cheese Incident) - CCODxHMwuEo

there, that should get the ball rolling..I encourage to post their favorites here too! Enjoy...:AOK

deeaa
October 27th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Dude,

a.) almost all these guys, never heard of 'em.

b.) It's way too much work to find examples of the greatest guitar work out there.
I just spent a while trying to find out who is it who plays the electric on Aimee Mann's couple of albums from circa 2000 something...I don't remember the names of albums but I listen to them all the time, and whoever that guy is, is one of the best guitarists I've ever heard.

Then also couldn't find anything live by Saigon Kick...whoever plays guitar in that band as well is _so_ good.

Also youtube seems slooow and crashing today...with Reef, can't find anything live...that guy I know by name though, Kenwyn House...such a weird name....well I suppose I could find some 70's examples of Angus Young playing, and Neil Young & Crazy Horse, but ya all know them so won't bother.

Kodiak3D
October 27th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Dude,

:sarcasm
I'd be shocked if you HAD heard of them. Until recently you didn't even know who Willie Nelson or B.B. King were :)

I'd heard of several of these, but a few I hadn't. I only heard of Government Mule this week. Warren was on the Bob and Tom show Friday and played some wonderful music.

hubberjub
October 27th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Richard Thompson-2lCH5JgWCZY

Jimmy Herring-XhoBurEAGbE

Chris Michetti (Raq)-p1jQ17Kv_zM

msteeln
October 27th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Always start the vids at low volume!

Precious little is ever heard of Michael Mann, one of the true greats of Jump/Blues/Rock guitar that died way too early with only 2 CDs of his solo material to be had today, and very little is available to view. Here's some of what I could find.
7ivX5ECliEU&feature=related
rAiflh4LWK4 Pt. 1
h_h659w9Vjg&feature=related Pt. 2

There are a couple more on YT of Fats w/The Blasters, and that's about it.

msteeln
October 27th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Always start the vids at low vol.!

Kimo is deffinitely one you've probably missed.
Seasoned in East LA along with his brothers, they were one hot ensemble.
Today sadly, they are no longer together, but enjoy what was.
VQnhnJiCUHE
cUSG2rTE4V0&feature=related
yfsELWlxprg&feature=related
X7yJ7SH8F9g
3lrqYBRwq3I&feature=related
1VgA4uqAuBo&feature=related w/Chris Cain

His latest venture is a different style CD full of great music with a strong focus on the steel guitar - www.cdbaby.com/cd/kimomusic
He studied under the legendary steeler, Jerry Byrd, and obviously paid full attention.

Blaze
October 27th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Mr. Funny

mhtXnqyJ47M

Matt Schofield

_ra39_j6mbk

Danny boy

MS5XH84mmI4

Disraeli
October 27th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Dan Auerbach
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b1pXulTzo1w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b1pXulTzo1w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Parker Griggs
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AW2IINtmuNA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AW2IINtmuNA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Davy Knowles
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FPlIIDsARPQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FPlIIDsARPQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Aaron Richner
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GUNL3aCyPLw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GUNL3aCyPLw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bigG
October 27th, 2009, 04:48 PM
One of my favorite guitar soloes of all time. Steely Dan's Bodhisattva, featuring the incomparable Denny Dias on lead guitar.

Unfortunately, this is the only "clip" I could find on youtube (other than some cats trying to cover it) of the real Steely Dan take of the song. It's a Rock Band thing (like Guitar Hero, neither of which I've ever seen or played), but the song and lead are crystal clear, which is the point. So, you're literally going to "hear" (as this thread is titled) a great guitarist in one of his shining moments! Here ya go, it's worth it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gluSElwbAI&feature=video_response

(By the by: just learned a few weeks ago that Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (studio rat, Steely Danner and Doobie Bros) is setting up shop right next door to Parramore Music here locally, where I've bought all my Peavey and Martin gear - and home to my guitar tech Chris Davis. Pretty darn cool! And it's only abt 10 blocks from me! Maybe I'll get to meet another legend...:happy )

Tig
October 27th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Davy Knowles is unfortunately an unknown, but one of the best talents to come along since SRV in my opinion.

OP: I've listened to guys like Warren Haynes, Stanly Jordan, Robben Ford, Buddy Guy, and Kenny Wayne Shepherd for so long, I consider them to be Super Stars already!

mrmudcat
October 27th, 2009, 05:34 PM
http://www.myspace.com/quinnsullivan8

aeolian
October 27th, 2009, 05:35 PM
He plays guitar differently than the players in the previous videos, but he is just as impressive. I had the good fortune of seeing him perform and it was a jaw-dropping experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYzajpeAWuA

Tig
October 27th, 2009, 06:07 PM
(By the by: just learned a few weeks ago that Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (studio rat, Steely Danner and Doobie Bros) is setting up shop right next door to Parramore Music here locally, where I've bought all my Peavey and Martin gear - and home to my guitar tech Chris Davis. Pretty darn cool! And it's only abt 10 blocks from me! Maybe I'll get to meet another legend...:happy )

Wow, Jeff is a true legend. Tell us if you run into him. Bet you could buy him lunch and have a great time!
(a buddy bought Dave Mustaine lunch in Dallas and had a dream come true with great conversation)

deeaa
October 28th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Whoa guys, you listen to strange music :poke . Me, I generally like proper rock music, not these jazzy/country/artsy bluesy thangs or fall-betweens like Pink Floyd etc. you don't know if that's rock or what the hell is that noodling :crazyguy . I guess I'm too much of a one-track guy, it's gotta be either rock music :dude :rockon: or then downright Miles Davis or classical music...never like anything in between really...my loss I guess :help :thwap But that Black Keys one was just my kind of stuff...I really need to see if I can steal their album if they have one out...

Great thread though, some great players it seems, even if they play all wrong kind of music, LOL ;-)

Disraeli
October 28th, 2009, 01:09 AM
:help :thwap But that Black Keys one was just my kind of stuff...I really need to see if I can steal their album if they have one out...

Listen to the Black keys Magic Potion album. That would be right up your alley.

deeaa
October 28th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Yeah, I just found their discography, 10 albums including Ep's and a solo album by that guy...ill take 30 minutes to download, big package.

SuperSwede
October 28th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Exellent post!

I´ve posted about Andreas Lidberg before but I am certain that this talented guitarist will be well known in the future!

-MAUZW2GBiA

Kazz
October 28th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Yeah, I just found their discography, 10 albums including Ep's and a solo album by that guy...ill take 30 minutes to download, big package.

I assume that Torrenting is not illegal in Finland? :what

msteeln
October 28th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Rocky was part of the rejuvinated Black Oak Arkansas around 1990 and was a huge part of their killer CD - The Wild Bunch.
Here he's with a dapper lil whipper snapper named Cole Davis, who might have a future on the guitar...
psQqNN0Ycok
Girls do it too!
Donna Austin getting inside Jimi.
Szsl7tV9Aws
The sublime, Ronnie earl. Dig the Strat!
_wLIOhnZkIM
Ronnie w/Jimmie Vaughan - Texas Flood
Not the best sound quality, but two of the best Strat wranglers around.
YBUUIR32hhw
Former T-Birds Duke and Kid
I saw this band twice, and even tho it took two Strats to do it, these guy's were better than the JV day's.
Glad to see there is vid of this T-Bird version.
r-bU7ZPwoUI

Tig
October 28th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Here he's with a dapper lil whipper snapper named Cole Davis, who might have a future on the guitar...

You ain't kidding. Cole Davis (http://www.myspace.com/coledavismusic) has some serious skills.
Y6OOFbrzdP8

Jimmy Vaughan has been overshadowed by Stevie, but his sublime playing is incredible.

guitartango
October 28th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Ok here are a few Brits !

OxAWfNTnYs8

And this guy makes guitar playing so easy, but no one can play like him
RkevzYfTQoo&feature=related

markb
October 28th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I'm compiling a few British players to add to this. Hank B was on my list too.

wingsdad
October 28th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Dude,

:rotflmao:

That's hilarious.

At least in a guitar player's forum, anyway.

deeaa
October 28th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I assume that Torrenting is not illegal in Finland? :what

Um, it's a matter of debate. Using and downloading and even upping to the net aren't basically. Using for monetary gain is, and sharing at least in large quantities, i.e. with intent to distribute, is.

But yeah, basically there is no law saying I can't download whatever I find on the net.

Using whatever I download, though, is another matter, but as long as I'm not running a company that somehow benefits from using, say pirated software in its functions, it's basically allowed, although there is constant debate on how does it work.

There have been a few trials where they have charged people who have shared, say a 100.000 songs or whatever for years, generating huge traffic...but as long as it's comparable to home taping etc. or just personal use downloads, it may be frowned upon and debated, but there really is no legal basis to forbid it. We'll see if it changes.

deeaa
October 28th, 2009, 11:06 PM

That's hilarious.

I guess...but you gotta understand, I'm scandinavian...not all things american are so well known here. I'm sure you wouldn't know the players in Finnish, French or German bands too well :-)

Like I posted in another thread, I don't think for instance country music is listened to basically at all outside U.S. although I was very surprised a lot of them older country songs etc. and stuff like Johnny Cash is turned into children's music and dance songs and people in most cases don't even know the original tune is some obscure (to us) american song, like 'Riders in the Sky' 'Crocodile Rock' etc.

markb
October 28th, 2009, 11:29 PM
...obscure (to us) american song, like 'Riders in the Sky' 'Crocodile Rock' etc.

"Crocodile Rock" is an Elton John song. Elton John is originally from Pinner, just north of London, UK. A British song then, recorded in France iirc. You really are isolated in Finland, aren't you? :)

I have to admit I haven't heard of many of the blues players in this thread but I don't listen much to modern blues rock.

deeaa
October 29th, 2009, 12:10 AM
"Crocodile Rock" is an Elton John song. Elton John is originally from Pinner, just north of London, UK. A British song then, recorded in France iirc. You really are isolated in Finland, aren't you? :)

I have to admit I haven't heard of many of the blues players in this thread but I don't listen much to modern blues rock.

Oh. I didn't know that. Never listened to any Elton that I know of, all I know of him are the hits you can't have missed, like when Diana died etc. Not my kind of music.

But I suppose most Finns know crocodile rock in Finnish first, most probably don't know it's Elton's...this is the version I remember:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CmsvU45X_60&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CmsvU45X_60&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mrmudcat
October 29th, 2009, 12:34 AM
:what :happy :thwap :cool:

Radioboy950
October 29th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I've been on a Budda amp kick these days, gassin for a Superdrive, and discovered Davey Knowles.
He's right there on the Budda homepage.
Look forward to hearing more from him. He really rips on that Bob & Tom studio clip!

Tig
October 29th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I've been on a Budda amp kick these days, gassin for a Superdrive, and discovered Davey Knowles.

Check out Davey's cover of "Redhouse" from the Backdoor Slam EP.
Of the many recorded versions of "Redhouse", this is the best IMO. This young guy has got some soul!

I couldn't find a video as good as the performance on the EP, but this is close enough:
izQFGHQD-wE

guitartango
October 29th, 2009, 02:26 PM

That's hilarious.

Is Finland a third world country (lol)

Perfect Stranger
October 29th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Davey Knowles is one of the best up and coming blues players out there!
I really like BDS albums....just about worn them out.

oldguy
October 29th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Lots of Canadians prob'ly 'member Frank. I sure do. Doubt if he's well known in Finland, tho. :french

O5vwfwZ6D_U&feature=related

Tig
October 29th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Lots of Canadians prob'ly 'member Frank. I sure do. Doubt if he's well known in Finland, tho.

Wow, how could we have forgotten to bring up Frank? I remember him in the 70's as the first guy who could cover Hendrex well.

Gotta' play Dragonfly (wish I found better audio). He gets rolling at about 30 seconds:

tT7yB28f288

deeaa
October 29th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Hey, I actually have had a Frank Marino album on tape! Might still have it somewhere. I know many Canadian bands, just the other day I found some old Helix albums. Isn't Danko Jones Canadian - they're one of my favorite bands. Rush is also very big in Finland, I have friends who've traveled to other countries just to see Rush. And Annihilator was Canadian? What about Billy Talent, I think at least some of the guys are Canadian...and Talent's II album is maybe the best album I have heard in maybe 10 years and definitely will be a classic. The Tragically Hip as well...I've known a couple of Canadians and I always thought it must be much similar to Finland in some respects over there. There are two countries in the world I might consider moving into other than here, if I had a good job offer to work there, and they're Canada and New Zealand. (My wife is a scientist (biochemistry) and there is a possibility she'll have to go work at some big international university to do some studies for a year or two and us the family may be forced to have to live wherever it will be for a while. Her colleague just moved to California to do some study thing.) We also had a half-canadian bass player in our band for 4 years.

I suppose it's just that I don't - and I don't think many finns either - listen to this blues and country stuff. It's so...I don't know. I think of someone listening to blues or country, I think of truck drivers. No offense meant, seriously. But it's just not popular here among regular folk. Even musicians I guess. Jazz and such is big, stuff like Miles Davis and, I dunno, Jaco Pastorius, Bootsy Collins, would be better known, and there are of course some blues/jazz acts that are big here and well known...but bluesy country style rock, not so much. And to be honest, most of that stuff sounds just like the next song to me anyway. Can't really tell many SRV's song apart from the next for instance, always the same chords, manners, licks. I suppose it's supposed to be very simple music but to me country music very often sounds like one big song. You could just change the words and feel a little and that'd be another song even if it had the same beat and chords.

I reckon in country music lyrics are also important, but there's a catch - nobody in a non-english-speaking country care a rat's *** about the lyrics. So they are completely lost on people. I could make songs about raping dead grandmothers and play that on a fine dinner party as a beautiful ballad and very few people would even flinch. Even I - although I view myself as rather competent with English - very rarely listen to lyrics on songs. So that may be one factor taking away from the appeal of country and blues.

marnold
October 30th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I reckon in country music lyrics are also important, but there's a catch - nobody in a non-english-speaking country care a rat's *** about the lyrics. So they are completely lost on people. I could make songs about raping dead grandmothers and play that on a fine dinner party as a beautiful ballad and very few people would even flinch. Even I - although I view myself as rather competent with English - very rarely listen to lyrics on songs. So that may be one factor taking away from the appeal of country and blues.
In most cases with popular music, you're not missing anything if you don't understand the music. Plus, even if you extremely proficient in the language, it's often difficult to tell exactly what the singer is saying.

Re: the Finnish version of Crocodile Rock, I particularly enjoyed the Chipmunks on background vocals. I remember hearing the Beatles doing "She Loves You" in German "Sie liebt dich, ja, ja, ja" and giggling quietly to myself. Even my feeble German skills could figure that one out.

I don't know why everybody here is so surprised that Finnish native wouldn't be familiar with everything that Americans take for granted. American culture is spreading throughout the world (not unlike the plague) but that doesn't mean that people everywhere should know everything that we do.

Perfect Stranger
October 30th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Here are a few more for you....

Leslie West
UP_Ezh4twgU

Paul Kossoff
b3ULusg5SRg

Steve Morse
Mk_GMvIea6s

Jack Pearson
VzmsFb7w8f8

And one of my most favorite players....
Steffen Schackinger

VAnv66NDZ74

fH-ksko-2HQ

JX61Jlvd-Yw

BTgxkQnQKjw

famYtHftpwE

Poxsa__BHDE

4GJs6Cj7X2I

Blaze
October 30th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks Perfect S. for the Jack Pearson vid. ,did nt know him ..He is some guitar player , tasty and very talented.. Wow :applause :applause

IXGqmq9483c

Tig
October 30th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Adam Jones is the texture rich, creative guitarist of Tool, and must be brought up.

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/212_fall2003.web.dir/Louis_Rudolf/silveradam.jpg

Anyone who considers themselves to be a guitar player has to listen to Tool... It's right there in the booklet that came with your recent guitar or amph!
Listen closely to the riffs and time signature changes...

ycAByDNZYrA

UhjG47gtMCo

07pLGIgyfjw

guitartango
October 30th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Nine below zero are a blues band from the Punk era.

The harmonica player has played on many records including Robbie Williams, Roger Daltrey,Rory Gallagher,Gary Moore.

PlygpXT7LUs

deeaa
October 30th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Oh yeah Tool rules...some of the older material is kinda tiring to listen to for long but 10k days really hit home for me.

One band I always liked, especially the last 4 albums is System of a Down. Probably the most 'metal' band I really dig a lot.

Blaze
October 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM
How about this 16 yrs old kid , Ricky Paquette from Quebec..

3wnKDvPxWqY

markb
October 30th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Here's a 17 year old called Richard Thompson from Muswell Hill ;). Solo starts about 1:40 and builds from there. I wonder whatever happened to him?

94X6YBArri4

Tig
October 30th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Here's a 17 year old called Richard Thompson from Muswell Hill ;). Solo starts about 1:40 and builds from there. I wonder whatever happened to him?

Well, ask and ye shall receive!

http://www.richardthompson-music.com/
http://www.richardthompson-music.com/bio.asp

http://www.richardthompson-music.com/images/biopic.jpg

markb
October 30th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Tig, yeah I know. He got better and a lot more confident, see below. Next time I'll add a smiley to indicate irony, OK? :)

UyV8gV7HYp4

Radioboy950
October 30th, 2009, 09:55 PM
OK...one more for your consideration.
Justin Derrico doesn't get much coverage. I think he's a great underrated younger guitarist.
And I dig this face-melting demo for the Alchemist!
gJZqiF-9D38

guitartango
October 31st, 2009, 04:50 PM
Is Noel a great guitar player or does he steal from the best.

rg2XXFqt_lM

birv2
October 31st, 2009, 08:45 PM
Great thread! As a blues fan, I've heard almost all the blues guitarists.

The Delgado Brothers is a rare treat. I'll have to look up more of them.

I'm not a fan of the uber-shredding. I do admire the technique but it doesn't move me. But to each his own.

A great way to get inspiration all in one place!

Perfect Stranger
November 3rd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Here are a few new/old ones for you...

Wishbone Ash
RjPi9Z13eSg

Kim Simmonds of Savoy Brown
qlqqeobOJvg

Richie Kotzen
hhCqEfkKa5s

Monty Montgomery
Q8_6aa-TTvI

Just amazing...
m3gMgK7h-BA

evenkeel
November 3rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
Got to throw in a few from the lite side. You don't need amphs and screamin' solo's to be great!! :what

David Bromberg
fi_RtsjKU60

Michael Hedges
DmQwPJHGP7U&feature=related

Retro Hound
November 4th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I haven't seen Buckethead mentioned.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Iw3TT0E0uwU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Iw3TT0E0uwU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

syo
December 21st, 2009, 10:47 PM

94X6YBArri4

Thanks Mark. I've seen alot of RT and Fairport Convention but never saw that one before. Terrific stuff.

FrankenFretter
December 22nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
Ok, I had to do this, because nobody has yet; perhaps Dee has heard of Skwisgaar?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NRaHa4mphQI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NRaHa4mphQI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

On a more serious note, how about Chris Duarte?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kZKwXOkJhGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kZKwXOkJhGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Eric
December 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
Is Noel a great guitar player or does he steal from the best.
Both? I'll never say he's the most amazingly-fast player you'll ever find, but he unearths some incredibly memorable tunes, guitar lines, and solos.

I consider it kind of a game to try to identify stolen bits of his songs, like the vocal melody in the verse of "Fade Away."

I love this one, particularly the guitar bits he puts in toward the end:

ls7ov-iPsUw

Eric
December 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Adam Jones is the texture rich, creative guitarist of Tool, and must be brought up.
Isn't he supposedly one of the current guitar tone kings? I've dabbled in Tool, but have never really given them a series of honest listens, so I don't know a whole ton about them. They seem to have carved out a solid art-metal niche.

Unknown Fan
January 6th, 2010, 10:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt2xfzrqAA8

guitartango
January 7th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Both? I'll never say he's the most amazingly-fast player you'll ever find, but he unearths some incredibly memorable tunes, guitar lines, and solos.

I consider it kind of a game to try to identify stolen bits of his songs, like the vocal melody in the verse of "Fade Away."

Look back in Anger !

Beginning is Imagine C F C F
Chord sequence is Let it be (with E) C G AM E F G7
Middle bit has taken the riff from David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust

but still a great 90's song and good solo

Tig
January 7th, 2010, 10:06 AM
"My birth certificate—when the doctor said, ‘What is the name of the child, Miss Hinson?’—that was my momma’s maiden name, Hinson—she said, ‘Well, lets just name him after his father,' but she didn’t even know his last name, so the birth certificate read 'Mother: Miss Hinson. Father: Unknown.' So she technically named me after my daddy.”
-from the Rockabilly Magazine Article (http://www.theplanetweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1726&Itemid=48)

Cheeseburger
4LJf9fYM8-s

Romance
4IL_pbFbYK0

Unknown Fan
January 7th, 2010, 12:30 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qyGSYTRPlo0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qyGSYTRPlo0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

marnold
January 7th, 2010, 04:50 PM
He's hysterical, but he also has some mean chops. I came to know him via Squidbillies. I'd like to see him sometime, but I don't think he comes this far north.

Plays Vox cheesegraters too!

toomanygittars
January 11th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Steinar Gregertsen is a guy from my hometown who plays some of the most tasteful guitar and lap steel I've heard.

He's collaborated with Tom Principato, who also guests on Steinar's new CD.

http://www.myspace.com/steinargregertsen
http://www.youtube.com/user/BrickNorski#p/u/0/PU6oyo4o6U8

Also, check out blues player Trond Olsen:
http://www.myspace.com/olsentrond