PDA

View Full Version : Booster Pedal Placement??

Telewanger
October 27th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I have an Xotic RC Booster, and I just bought a Trachouse Clean Boost.
The Trachouse Clean Boost will not add any overdrive or distortion to the signal, just clean boost.

So, I will have a booster and the front end and the rear end of the chain. What would make more sense, RC booster at the front or rear of the chain?

Here is my current setup below!

http://www.atlanticplumbing.net/mikesignal.jpg

hubberjub
October 27th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Dude, I thought I had a complex setup. Are you looking to just increase your volume or get a little more drive from your amp?

FrankenFretter
October 27th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I put mine at the front, to boost the signal before it hits the other pedals. If you want volume boost, put it last in line.

Telewanger
October 27th, 2009, 09:38 PM
When I put the RC booster first, I can only turn the volume up to around 4, and anything past 4 it just starts feeding back and getting muddy because it is trying to push too much power through the rest of the pedals, and they don't like it.

When the Trachouse Clean Boost gets here, I will try it first in line to see what happens. I am going to use it as a lead solo ( over the top ) volume booster. I have 2 volume pedals, but they weaken the overdrive or distortion when I roll them back with my foot. The volume pot in the volume pedals weakens the signal, just like a guitar volume pot does when you roll it back.

I will just have to play around with it. I just thought maybe someone here has tried this before in their setup.

deeaa
October 28th, 2009, 12:41 AM
IMO it depends on a.) what kind of pedals you have and b.) what kind of amp inputs you have.

My method now is I plug in my guitar direct to amp and then try each pedal in between. If any pedal changes the sound at all when off or too much when on (i.e. drive also makes the sound much darker) I don't use it.

I find that there are a LOT of pedals that simply won't work well if you put a booster before them. Namely anything that has digital chips in it, and also some others.

I have a Tech-21 revBoost which works VERY well when I use it right before the amph, BUT if I put an OD or anything before it, it simply destroys my sound. I could just as well play into an SS amp instead, the difference is so big.

So...my 2c...try the boost right before the amp and then before other pedals, see if that screws up the sound...I had to get rid of the RevBoost in my rig because it would not accept an OD before it and before OD the boost would just torment the OD's transistors...either way, it pretty much rendered the proper tube sound useless.

Telewanger
October 28th, 2009, 06:58 AM
The RC booster, turned past 4, going into effects is clipping. At the end of the chain, I can turn it much louder and crank up some gain on it. I will just have to keep playing with it and moving it around the effects chain. I just bought a 9 effects switch looper from Loop Master, and George L patch cables. I think this is going to help a lot to get rid of noise and tone suck!

deeaa
October 28th, 2009, 07:03 AM
The RC booster, turned past 4, going into effects is clipping. At the end of the chain, I can turn it much louder and crank up some gain on it. I will just have to keep playing with it and moving it around the effects chain. I just bought a 9 effects switch looper from Loop Master, and George L patch cables. I think this is going to help a lot to get rid of noise and tone suck!

George L are great!

Yeah, put it last and hear how it is, then move it closer to the guitar to see how far it can be and still give the same result.

Always keep checking how does the entire chain change the sound you get with a direct line to amp...you don't want to ruin that.

Telewanger
October 28th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I would send some photos of my setup, but I have torn everything apart. The Loopmaster 9 switch pedal, and the clean boost is going to be here around friday, I hope. I took my pedals up and I am cleaning them. I will make new patch cables with the roll of George L cable that I bought.

Here is a video of me goofing around with a backing track that I found on Youtube last week. Nothing is planned out. I am just jamming on the fly, hitting bad notes here and there, just trying to stay in key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KemK2h-pGKM

Robert
October 28th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I use my RC Booster first in the chain, but I don't crank the volume that much. I use it more as a light gain pedal. This works best for me. This pedal is terrific, and has a permanent place on my pedal board.