PDA

View Full Version : Innappropriately Titled Instrumental #1

Hercy B. Goode
October 28th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I guess this is rock? Not too sure. I recorded this about three-ish years ago, to see if I could put a song together and have it remain structured. And this was my first use of a recording program (Audacity for recording, Cubase for production), so I had a lot of fun with panning and stuff. Maybe a bit too much, but I'm pretty pleased with how well it holds up, considering there's no drums. Didn't use a bass either, just turned all the tone knobs down on my guitar and used my fingers.

Usually, I spend time thinking about a riff and what chords would work well, and experiment, and put it together in my head before I start playing, but with this I recorded a bass line, played it back, added rhythm chords, played it back, added leads. More-or-less one take on each (save for my computer losing half the files! and one point where on-the-fly, I changed to a key a tritone away, then had to spend 15 minutes working out how to get back to the home key :thwap ).

One friend said my playing sounds like "John Frusciante in a Zappa kind of mood." Three other people told me I sound like John Frusciante. Which is funny considering I'd heard none of his stuff when I recorded this.

Overall, it was a fun experiment. But hey, enough of my yakkin'. Whaddaya say? Let's boogie!

Innappropriately Titled Instrumental #1 (http://www.esnips.com/doc/ec429f54-a430-4deb-bd72-b5e652288761/Inapropriately-titled-instrumental-1)

Algonquin
October 28th, 2009, 08:14 PM
A very avant garde piece of work Herc :applause ... have you recorded anything recently? I'd be interested to see what you've been up to recently.

Keep em coming folks, the Members Clips section continues to be one of my favourite parts of the Fret.Net.

Remember, it's not what you own... it's what you do with what you've got!

Hercy B. Goode
November 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
Hey man, thanks for the listen, I appreciate it. Sadly, that is the only thing I've ever recorded (save for some free-form jams that died with my last computer), but I'm getting back into that zone where I'm feeling creative.
I've got a notebook with about half a dozen cool song ideas, and another several dozen song fragments kicking around, so you'll see something eventually. Cheers for the support!

tunghaichuan
November 2nd, 2009, 02:59 PM
Excellent, I really enjoyed that. :applause

I've been a big fan off off-center, avant garde guitar playing ever since I heard Belew and Fripp back in the 80s. You really should compose and record more music. :AOK

tung

Hey man, thanks for the listen, I appreciate it. Sadly, that is the only thing I've ever recorded (save for some free-form jams that died with my last computer), but I'm getting back into that zone where I'm feeling creative.
I've got a notebook with about half a dozen cool song ideas, and another several dozen song fragments kicking around, so you'll see something eventually. Cheers for the support!

luvmyshiner
November 2nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
Very interesting Herc. About a minute into it CB came running in from the back room to ask what it was and who was playing. Very nice.