PDA

View Full Version : Gov't Mule in Toronto

helliott
October 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM
The son and I chugged down to Toronto about 40 minutes from here to see Gov't Mule at Queen Elizabeth Theatre (at the CNE grounds).

Great venue, old style. Beer prices reasonable. Warren and the guys came on right on schedule at 8. Played to a bit after 11, with a 20-30-minute break.

GEAR:
Warren played lots of Explorer and LP, no 335s in evidence. His heads were the regular Soldano and what looked like a Diaz, both atop Marshall cabs. The only oddity was he pulled out a 12-string LP for a song from their new album, hot slide blues number with a capo on the fourth fret. Bass player Jorgen Carlsson used a variety of basses as well, including an Explorer bass. Matt had his usual Pearl kit and keyboard setup for Danny Louis was as usual.

SET LIST:
Set 1
Blind Man In The Dark
Mr. High & Mighty
Broke Down On The Brazos
About To Rage
Steppin' Lightly
Gameface >
Trane > with Third Stone From The Sun & Norwegian Wood Teases
Eternity's Breath >
St. Stephen Jam
Thorazine Shuffle

Set 2
Railroad Boy >
Monday Morning Meltdown >
Forevermore
Painted Silver Light >
Drums
Streamline Woman
Where's My Mule

Encore with Gordie Johnson
Long Distance Call
Smokestack Lightning
I'm A Ram

PERFORMANCE:
Amazing as usual. Warren actually had some moves I haven't seen before. His has a tendency to employ signature licks often, but there was more variety than I've seen. His tone was monster as usual. From the first song he was burning solos and didn't let up all night. He also employs really interesting outside notes and scales that I don't pretent to comprehend, but they sure work. His vocals were also exceptionally strong, clear, loud and good range with little sign of strain from all the touring he's been doing with ABB, The Dead and his own band.
Drummer Matt Abts was fantastic. He's one of the best in my view, thunderous playing off Warren and bass player Carlsson. Only beef is his solo was too long for a 2 hour and 30 minute show. Mule now has a very strong catalogue, and I'd sooner have heard less Matt solo and a couple more great tunes. Same with some of their jams, which were as hot as usual, but I found them a little long given the relatively short show. Gimme jams, but also more tunes.
I have to prop their bassist, Jorgen Carlsson.. Maybe my new favourite bottom end guy after last night. His interplay with Warren and Matt is astounding. He just attacks his instrument, and makes much use of slides, and also of great vibrato, which I've not noticed that much in other bass players. Warren said this guy reminded him a lot of Woody and I can see why.

OVERALL:
Aside from minor quibbles with a somewhat short show and too long drum outing, they were fantastic as usual. Highly recommend you see these guys. Their musicianship, individually and collectively, is a delight, as is there on-stage communication -- how they all key on Warren and respond so fluidly to his changes and direction is fascinating. Very loud, plugs might be in order. Too much pot smoke, but that's life. (I mean second hand, if it matters.)

I think Mule remains one of the most interesting and dynamic bands working, and Warren is at the top of his game, in spite of his crazy schedule.

Last time we saw them at Cool Haus, with is all GA and no seats. Looked forward to a show where I could rest my weary feet and legs for at least part of the time. Not to be. Folks stood from the opening of Blind Man throughout. (Warning, Old Farts Complaint.)

mrmudcat
October 28th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Warren is the man..................:master :socool

Tig
October 28th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Wow, I'm envious, you lucky dawg!
Excellent write up. It's nice to know that Warren is somehow able to get even better than he already is.

Looks like I need to get their new album (http://mule.shop.musictoday.com/Dept.aspx?cp=268_16816) that was just released.

Spudman
October 28th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I've been listening to the new album and really liking it and was just wondering if they would be out touring - sure enough and lucky you got to see them. Fat chance for me that they'll be anywhere within 8 hours of where I live. I'm glad that you enjoyed the show.

sumitomo
October 29th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Great write up.I really like Rockin'Horse.I am really going to have to see them.Sumi:D

R_of_G
October 29th, 2009, 04:22 PM
so forgive me for not having paid attention to them in a few years, they are back to being a trio again? if so, that is welcome news.

i was a huge fan of the original mule. having seen many an ABB show during the woody/warren era, they were a natural for me.

for my money, they were among the most powerful power trios around. when woody passed and they added keyboard/organ it was still a fairly interesting band (any band with warren in it is still going to have a lot of appeal) but it just seemed to start to sound a lot like other bands.

if they are back to being a trio again, my interest is once again piqued.