PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a decent Mic 2 record amp?

guitartango
October 28th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hey guys

I am looking for a decent mike to record my amp, i know it must be dynamic and don't mind if it is USB or standard connection.

Price around £50-£70 (thats $90+)

markb
October 28th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I'd recommend paying a wee bit more to get an SM57, but try this...

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/pg-57/67779

guitartango
October 28th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks Mark, within the price range as well

Algonquin
October 28th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I purchased a Shure SM57 for the same purpose last year and have been happy with it. It's not that far off your budget listed, and is well made and durable... worth considering.

vroomery
October 28th, 2009, 08:36 PM
An SM57 will get the job done, but if you really want to get a good recording, a decent condenser is a must.

wingsdad
October 28th, 2009, 10:21 PM
The SM57's been the stage & studio standard for mic'ing amps for decades, for good reason. It's worth stretching your budget a bit to get one instead of settling for a pretender, because you'll end up not only finding other good applications for it, but it will last 30 years or more, with at least minimal care.

Condensers are another thing, indeed musts, at least 1 each of a Large Diaphragm type for the higher SPL's and dynamic range of vocals and a Small Diaphragm type for acoustic guitars and instros and other low SPL/high freq range applications, for quality recordings. But they're not really the optimum choice to handle the higher SPL's from close-mic'ing guitar amps. They actually invite distortion, overdriven signals, and may not be focused enuff like a 57 can be. Unless you compress the crap out of them.