PDA

View Full Version : 3 note solo

Robert
October 29th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Can you play a 12 bar solo with only 3 notes? Well, have a listen to me trying! I am playing over a 12 bar blues in the key of A, and each time through the 12 bars, I play only 3 notes from the A minor pentatonic scale.

eu4etPLecrQ

sumitomo
October 29th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Robert your having way too much fun with that Gem,man that tone is great!and this is really a great lesson on K.I.S.S. thanks,Sumi:D

Tig
October 29th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Make each note count?
Mission accomplished! This is a very useful lession. Staying with 3 notes pushes us to be more creative/expressive.

piebaldpython
October 29th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Another great lesson and very important that we learn how to stay within ourselves. Very useful to show how a quick solo is a complete thought and a segue to alternating rhythm/lead work.

marnold
October 29th, 2009, 09:10 AM
You can solo with more than three notes?

Of course, B.B. and Albert King made careers out of about five notes. Most of your solo is right from Albert's box.

bigG
October 29th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Very nice, Robert! A most instructive video and leaves alot of room for experimentation and discovery! :cool:

@nthony
October 29th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Fantastic Robert. Just what I've been looking for, and I think what I was trying to get out of my last couple of posts in the 'Theory' section on here...

Thanks so much. I'm off to use the backing track! :)

Robert
October 30th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Thanks, I was hoping someone would find this video useful. It's all about making the best out of what you got. If you only got ONE note to play, make that one note make a difference! Attitude is so important - in the video, at a few times, I hit the strings really hard, and I raking the strings extra much to make that one certain note grab the listener. That makes a note really stand out.

But you don't want to do that all the time. Sometimes, just approach a note or two softly, gently. Then later in the solo, you go into "attitude mode", and hit the strings harder (while performing a powerful guitar face of course. :) )

@nthony
October 30th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks, I was hoping someone would find this video useful. It's all about making the best out of what you got. If you only got ONE note to play, make that one note make a difference! Attitude is so important - in the video, at a few times, I hit the strings really hard, and I raking the strings extra much to make that one certain note grab the listener. That makes a note really stand out.

But you don't want to do that all the time. Sometimes, just approach a note or two softly, gently. Then later in the solo, you go into "attitude mode", and hit the strings harder (while performing a powerful guitar face of course. :) )

I think your next video should be about perfecting this Robert. :happy :crazyguy

M29
October 30th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Awesome Robert, I am working on just that making every note count and my phrasing. Thanks.

M

deeaa
October 30th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Excellent!

tjcurtin1
October 30th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Robert, that was so much fun to listen too/watch - really outstanding! Talk about setting yourself a challenge and then just nailing it 6 ways to Sunday! Really fun and really instructive - thanks!

peachhead
October 31st, 2009, 10:25 PM
That is a great video. Plus it doesn't hurt that it sounds excellent. Thanks, Robert!

Robert
October 31st, 2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. I got some good tones with the Mack GEM on that clip. I want to mention the guitar amp's overally volume is very, very low on this recording, but it still sounds great. That's one of the benefit of a 0.4 watt amp... I need to record my guitar at really volume if I'm also speaking, because otherwise the camera mic will clip. I can fix that with turning on the attenuator, but then my voice will sound very faint... so my solution is low guitar amp volume and problem solved.

R_of_G
November 1st, 2009, 12:18 AM
robert, one of the things i most appreciate about you is you seem to think a lot like me sometimes with the whole "less is more" thing.

this lesson really exemplifies it perfectly. it's not the notes, it's the way you play them.

excellent job, as usual.

:applause

Tig
November 1st, 2009, 09:51 AM
robert, one of the things i most appreciate about you is you seem to think a lot like me sometimes with the whole "less is more" thing.

this lesson really exemplifies it perfectly. it's not the notes, it's the way you play them.

I was listening to the new Gov't Mule album yesterday and this hit me...
I forgot the song, but Warren paused during a solo, and the pause was perfect, not too long, not too quick. It must have felt perfect on his end as well.
It made me really want to hear the next note!

Make them want/beg for that next note sometimes.

Robert
November 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks R of G, yeah it sure is all how about "how" you play notes, not the number of notes... ;)

just strum
November 3rd, 2009, 04:31 PM
Robert, is that particular backing track available on here or Dolphinstreet?

Robert
November 3rd, 2009, 05:11 PM
Robert, is that particular backing track available on here or Dolphinstreet?

It is available both here (see Backing Tracks) and on www.Dolphinstreet.com.