PDA

View Full Version : 2 Amps to A/B Switch into one cab

ZMAN
October 29th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I hope the title isn't too confusing. I have two Marshall amps in my music room and one 2/12 Avatar Cab. I am looking for a switch that I can control which amp is using the cab. It is a pain in the butt to keep switching from amp to amp. So what I would end up with, is each amp into the A/B switch then one lead into the cab. Both would be from the 16 ohm socket.
That way I could just hit the switch. I was wondering if there was anything out here that does this job in a reasonably priced package. I saw one by Behringer but I was not sure if it would work for my application.
Thanks in advance.

tunghaichuan
October 29th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Here's a Gear Page thread on that subject:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=607802

It mentions a few products that might work for you.

HTH.

I hope the title isn't too confusing. I have two Marshall amps in my music room and one 2/12 Avatar Cab. I am looking for a switch that I can control which amp is using the cab. It is a pain in the butt to keep switching from amp to amp. So what I would end up with, is each amp into the A/B switch then one lead into the cab. Both would be from the 16 ohm socket.
That way I could just hit the switch. I was wondering if there was anything out here that does this job in a reasonably priced package. I saw one by Behringer but I was not sure if it would work for my application.
Thanks in advance.

ZMAN
October 29th, 2009, 07:49 PM
No offence Tung but those things are 200 and 350 dollars respectively. I was looking at something in the under 50 dollar range. For 350 I will keep pulling plugs. LOL. I will have to take a closer look at the Behringer unit.
It was under 30 dollars.

markb
October 29th, 2009, 07:56 PM
If that's the standard Behringer AB100 box you're looking at, you'll fry it with speaker loads. I'd have a look at the hi-fi world. Speaker switchers are quite common but you might have to modify one a bit for 1/4" jacks.

tunghaichuan
October 29th, 2009, 09:17 PM
None taken. :AOK

The main thing is that when using tube amps, you have to have a load on the output at all times. Operating a tube amp without a load will eventually destroy the output transformer.

At the very least, you need to have a switcher that puts an appropriate load on an amp when it is switched out an not being used.

No offence Tung but those things are 200 and 350 dollars respectively. I was looking at something in the under 50 dollar range. For 350 I will keep pulling plugs. LOL. I will have to take a closer look at the Behringer unit.
It was under 30 dollars.

ZMAN
October 30th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Thanks Tung. I never really thought about the load thing. They do tell you that in the manual. One is SS and the other is Tube so I will have to be careful when switching the tube amp. It isn't that big of a deal I just thought it would be a nice addition.