PDA

View Full Version : New band up and running

Spudman
October 30th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Finally got my new project off the ground. After many months of searching for a suitable, stable and committed bass player we finally found one. The drummer (Don) plays on a worship team and the new bass player from the past few months was asked if he wanted to play other gigs and he accepted. He (Russ) is a very nice, humble and quiet guy who likes to play big on the bottom end.

Our gig calendar is rapidly filling up so at least I can play consistently throughout the winter.

As the unit gets tight we'll probably add in the LA session keyboard player that we've used in the past, but for now it's power trio all the way baby.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Gigs/crop1BW-1-1.jpg

sumitomo
October 30th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Well alright Spud! sounds like your gunna give your m13 a real workout.I could see you guys playing with the group Outdoor Dogs! Sumi:D

hubberjub
October 30th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Nice man. It's great when these things finally come together. What type of tunes are you guys doing?

Spudman
October 30th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Nice man. It's great when these things finally come together. What type of tunes are you guys doing?

Most of these
http://www.box.net/shared/fqcpzj1h18

helliott
October 30th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Congratulations. Great when something finally comes together. All the best to you.
Quite the diverse setlist. Might have to look at copping a few of those.

Cheers:dude and good luck

marnold
October 30th, 2009, 05:38 PM
No Queensryche?!? :)

mrmudcat
October 30th, 2009, 06:10 PM
nice spuds:beer:

M29
October 30th, 2009, 06:22 PM
My Tater you have been busy. The song list looks veddy intedesting. Awesome:happy Congrats congrats congrats:AOK

evenkeel
October 30th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Good goin' :applause

Lots of good uptempo, blues based tunes to keep the toes tappin'. :happy

Spudman
October 30th, 2009, 07:31 PM
No Queensryche?!? :)

Dude:thwap It's a trio!

Plus - I don't think there is a single Geoff song that I can sing much less play at the same time.:D

Much thanks to everyone else for the encouragement. It's greatly appreciated.

sumitomo
October 30th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Ah with a little zap on the hind side with a cattleprod and you'll be singing like a Metal Maniac in no time. Sumi:D

R_of_G
October 30th, 2009, 09:11 PM
best of luck with the new band spud. :applause

sunvalleylaw
October 30th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Looking forward to seeing you guys! Go get it tomorrow!

peachhead
October 30th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Nice song list- best of luck and wish I could see y'all sometime!

markb
October 30th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Nice to see a T Rex song in there. All the best with the new band.

Kazz
October 31st, 2009, 06:25 AM
Congrats on putting the band together.....lets hope for a couple of recorded shows for your fellow fretters to check out.

marnold
October 31st, 2009, 08:27 AM
Dude:thwap It's a trio!
I know, I just had to harass you. I'd come to catch one of your gigs, but it's a bit of a walk from Wisconsin. Keep us posted!

Having said that there are tentative plans for my family to visit my brother-in-law in Park City, UT, next summer. That might bring me closer, but still 6+ hours from SVL if Google Maps is to be believed.

Spudman
October 31st, 2009, 09:18 AM
I know, I just had to harass you. I'd come to catch one of your gigs, but it's a bit of a walk from Wisconsin. Keep us posted!

Having said that there are tentative plans for my family to visit my brother-in-law in Park City, UT, next summer. That might bring me closer, but still 6+ hours from SVL if Google Maps is to be believed.

Park City is within reason. Keep me apprised of your plans and maybe we can do a get together. :beer:

bigG
October 31st, 2009, 11:33 AM
Congrats, spud! Sounds like a winner! :applause

(PS: which of those ugly mugs is yours in the photo? :what )

Spudman
October 31st, 2009, 03:33 PM
Congrats, spud! Sounds like a winner! :applause

(PS: which of those ugly mugs is yours in the photo? :what )

Ermm, ahem, the one in the middle.

Rampant
November 1st, 2009, 04:00 AM
Ermm, ahem, the one in the middle.

That's uncanny...

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/99684aed5b58bda59.jpg

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/99684aed5b58b7bec.jpg

Only messing, brother :)

sunvalleylaw
November 1st, 2009, 08:28 AM

Well, maybe closer to 5 depending on weather (summer should be no problem). Still could be a "within reason". Keep us posted!

Spudman
November 1st, 2009, 08:50 AM
That's uncanny...

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/99684aed5b58bda59.jpg http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/99684aed5b58b7bec.jpg

Only messing, brother :)

No that's okay. I shouldn't have used a photo from my old milk carton days. Now the whole witness protection program thing isn't probably going to work for me any more. sigh:nope

Spudman
November 1st, 2009, 08:54 AM
So our first gig was a success with little in the way of train wrecks. Just some uncertainty at the beginning and ending of a few songs. The crowd liked us and the the owner and staff loved us. So much that we now have a residency. Looks like we will be playing there on a regular basis and we also have another local residency. That will make it much easier to not have to travel this winter when the roads are bad.

piebaldpython
November 1st, 2009, 09:03 AM
Congrats on the gig. Nice playlist too. Glad to see you were rescued from that "country music" gig. :applause Not that there's anything wrong with country per se...they have some fine muscians too (mostly the bluegrassers)...but you're a rocker from way back in the day.

Robert
November 1st, 2009, 09:07 AM
Congrats, that's awesome man! When are you guys gigging in Alberta? I'll come see ya!

Nice song list, where can we buy recordings of the Steve Sullivan originals?

Last thing, do you realize that, according to that photo, you could be the perfect stand-in for John Malkovich?

Spudman
November 1st, 2009, 09:53 AM
Last thing, do you realize that, according to that photo, you could be the perfect stand-in for John Malkovich?

"Of course it's trivial, but then most things are." John Malkovich

Spudman
November 1st, 2009, 02:29 PM
This is how I looked at my first gig. Handsome eh?
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Gigs/DSCI0062.jpg

oldguy
November 1st, 2009, 04:53 PM
Well.............................
none of that "this thread is useless" crap now.............

(rock 'n roll, baby):applause

sumitomo
November 1st, 2009, 09:05 PM
This is how I looked at my first gig. Handsome eh?
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Gigs/DSCI0062.jpg

Alright little Alice Cooper :applause :happy :dude Sumi:D

mrmudcat
November 1st, 2009, 09:29 PM
:rollover :cool:

Spudman
November 2nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
I was out around town today giving promo packs to clubs and got hired for the weekend right on the spot. Cool! :happy

Bumped into a singer from one of my old bands and he's doing a solo gig at the same place 2 nights a week. He just got divorced and it's a great outlet and diversion for him. We went next door and got a sub sandwich and traded stories for a while. It was great to visit with him and get caught up. He's a super nice guy. Rob has an amazing voice and he is certainly a consideration if we want to add another member. He's a good rhythm guitarist as well. He is also a prolific writer. Unfortunately he is not a front man. So this is going to require some serious consideration.

We aren't in any hurry to make any changes yet...or reduce our pay.

Spudman
November 4th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Just got back from rehearsals. Wow! Things are really starting to cook. The guys finally put in some time into learning more of the material and we were able to nail several songs the first time through that we had never done before. Cool! :AOK

The group is really starting to get some muscle. We are hearing each other better and grooving. By the end of November we'll be in really good form after all the gigs we are getting.

Now the real fun is about to start.

sunvalleylaw
November 4th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Sounds like things are really coming together! Great!! :applause :happy :crazyguy

Rampant
November 5th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Nice one.
I bet it feels fantastic. I'm kinda jealous! In a nice way :)

bigG
November 5th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Sounds great, spud! Congrats! :applause

There's no other feeling quite like it, eh!

Since I quit gigging in the early 70s, I still had that onstage/live thing in my blood. My little three year stint in a three-piece acoustic band in the early 80s finally got it out of my system. I don't long for it anymore. SO glad I did that!

Having fun, doing what you love, and getting paid for it! Just can't beat it with a stick! Instant gratification from a live audience is a feeling like no other...

PS: I hope you know I was just funnin' ya abt that "ugly mug" comment. All in the spirit of good fun :happy

G

Brian Krashpad
November 5th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Break a leg you boys!

Spudman
November 5th, 2009, 08:54 AM
PS: I hope you know I was just funnin' ya abt that "ugly mug" comment. All in the spirit of good fun :happy

G

I didn't notice. I've had you on my ignore list ever since you joined.

I'm kidding.:rollover That will teach you to mess with a testosterone fueled rocker. Really, I didn't think anything of it. The only real quibble I have is with the drunks that want to fall onto the stage or sit in. Sheesh. :thwap

Break a leg you boys!

Strange you should say that. I was just shopping for a knee brace for my daughter. She had a trampoline accident and tore a tendon in her knee.

MAXIFUNK
November 5th, 2009, 01:13 PM
congrats and lots of fun.................. sissy strut what a cool tune!

Spudman
November 5th, 2009, 03:07 PM
congrats and lots of fun.................. sissy strut what a cool tune!

Ya. It's fun. I'm a late bloomer to this song. I hear from other players that they've played it to death, but not me.

helliott
November 5th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Awesome to get a gig on delivery of the promo pack. Wish our market was as good as that, but it's really slow, still. Hopefully picking up soon.
Which version of Cissy Strut are you doing? Meters is the original, and purists swear by it, but I gotta say I love the John Mayer version. Similarly, lots of people swear by the more pure funk version of I'm a Ram, but I also like the Big Sugar/Gov't Mule approach to it, which is more what we do.
How often are you guys gigging?

Spudman
November 5th, 2009, 09:53 PM
We are shooting for almost every weekend and most Tuesdays through the winter.

I love the Meters version but I meld it with the John Mayer version so it's still funky and bluesy.

Spudman
November 6th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Just got back from setting up at a local club where we are playing Friday and Saturday. I took a couple pictures with my cell phone. I'll take my other camera and see if someone will take some shots with it.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Gigs/1106091511.jpg

My little corner of the stage
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Gigs/1106091511b.jpg

This is neat. I go into the Wah then into the Tone Driver and that allows me to split my signal. I take the mixer out to the Vocalist Live4 and the regular out goes to the M13. Then I go out of the left and right outs on the M13 into the Delta and H&K amphs. It sounds huge!
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Gigs/1106091513a.jpg

Spudman
November 10th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Just finish setting up to play tonight Tuesday night at the only smoke free club in town. They only have bands on Tuesdays because the weekends are packed with college kids anyway. I'll try to get some pictures.

oldguy
November 10th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Smoke free is good. You can load out afterwards w/o your eyes burning and stinging. Have a good gig, Spud. (try and get some more pics of your shoes);)