PDA

View Full Version : Dreamtheater fans in here?

Jimi75
September 4th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Hi folks,

I was just wondering if any of you likes the band Dreamtheater? I have been to every tour since 1994. I really love their music, although I would never make progressive rock myself...

Has anyone just recently seen their new "SCORE" DVD? I think this is one over the top live DVD and I was happy to see that John Petrucci stopped his overplaying ;-)

Greetz
Jimi75

Tim
September 4th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Jimi,

I have heard some of their backing tracks, but not any of their real music. If the backing tracks are anywhere similar to their music, I would give a CD or two a try. Can you recommend one or two excellent samples or a greatest hits?

SuperSwede
September 4th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Not much of a Dream Theater fan myself, but I thought that "Pull me under" was quite good..

Jimi75
September 4th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Every of their albums is worth a recomandation!
If I were you I would buy "Scenes From A Memory". In my eyes the greatest concept album that has ever been recorded.

tremoloman
September 7th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I saw them on the Megadeth "Gigantour" last summer. They put on one hell of a show. My only complaint is that they use the keyboards too much IMHO. Besides that I thought they kicked butt.

I love the bootleg/semi-official releases of the Iron Maiden "Number of the Beast" and Metallica "Master of Puppets" tributes they've done.

abraxas
September 7th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I have all their albums but, nevertheless, don't consider myself a "fan". As far as virtuosity is concerned, I think they are around the top. They are making great efforts to improve their musicality also, I believe, with each new album they have something to offer.

Petrucci in particular is getting more mature as time goes by, so I believe that, guitar-wise, we haven't heard the best from them yet. ;)

Spudman
September 7th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Jimi
You should check out James on the Ayreon album "Human Equation." He's the main character in the story. Great concept album as well.

Also, check out Mike on the Neal Morse album "Question." Those two were made for each other. They did the Transatlantic stuff with Roine Stolt pretty well too.

Jordan is on Neal's album as well.

Yes I like D.T. but have to say that those players outside of that band are amazingly versatile. I loved "Train Of Thought" and "Awake."

king_petrucci
August 8th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Far and away the best band ever imo.
Ive been listening to them for about 3 years now and still cant stop. Each player is so brilliant at wat they do. I think its great that more than 20 years later they are still going and imo, the best is yet to come.

I agree that petrucci is getting better as he is maturing. He really is a great guitarist.

I would recommend all there albums (exept maybe falling into infinity).
Also the bootleg of dark side is brilliant