PDA

View Full Version : Trying to start a band

birv2
October 31st, 2009, 08:34 AM
I got approached a couple weeks ago about starting a band with someone I had jammed with. He's a guitarist as well and president of a local blues society. He said he really liked my playing. We started talking and found we had a lot of similar tastes in blues, so we're now trying to get some players together and get something going. I guess our genre would be Geezer Blues.

It's exciting. I haven't posted about it due to not wanting to jinx it, but hey. Seems like we're lining up some people who want to do it: drummer, harp, maybe a bassist. I'm beyond flattered, since I really just started playing out a couple years ago and have never considered myself any great shakes. However, I do love playing the blues live. The other guitarist and I have played out together at several jams, and the sound and the chemistry are pretty good so far.

I'll keep everybody posted!

Bob in PA

bigoldron
October 31st, 2009, 08:50 AM
Sounds like a great opportunity Birv! Good luck with it. Can't wait to hear some clips!

bigG
October 31st, 2009, 11:38 AM
Man, that's great, Bob! Like Ron said, keep us posted!

I don't play out anymore. Those days are long gone for me. My thirst for it has been quinched. So I gotta live the gigging and the stories through you and others on here. Kudos! :applause

Plank_Spanker
October 31st, 2009, 04:40 PM
Good luck with the cat herding!

I just folded my last band and I'm taking a break to regroup.

When it all comes together, there's nothing like being on stage and taking no prisoners....:dude

mrmudcat
October 31st, 2009, 05:02 PM
Yes Much Luv
and Mudcat Mojo Blessings fo ya:socool :rockon

ibanezjunkie
October 31st, 2009, 05:10 PM
sounds like a sweet deal.

blues society president? you'll be gigging before you realized you started rehearsing.

Spudman
October 31st, 2009, 07:28 PM
Best wishes Birv. You are going to see your playing make great leaps forward once you start playing regularly with other people. Looks like a fun time is in store in your future.

PS - don't forget the Geritol :rollover

kiteman
November 1st, 2009, 07:02 AM
Best wishes Birv. You are going to see your playing make great leaps forward once you start playing regularly with other people. Looks like a fun time is in store in your future.

PS - don't forget the Geritol :rollover

I'll need a case of that stuff if I wanna play out. :)

Last time I played out was when we played surf music back in the 60s-70s.

Spudman
November 1st, 2009, 08:57 AM
I'll need a case of that stuff if I wanna play out. :)

Last time I played out was when we played surf music back in the 60s-70s.

I just saw somewhere a mount that holds your guitar and attaches to a walker. Maybe that would help too.:rollover

kiteman
November 1st, 2009, 10:12 AM
I just saw somewhere a mount that holds your guitar and attaches to a walker. Maybe that would help too.:rollover

Know where I can find one? :dude

Spudman
November 1st, 2009, 10:26 AM
Know where I can find one? :dude

The mother of all stores (http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-Release-Folding-Walker_W0QQitemZ280172896609QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item413b9b2161#ht_850wt_939).

kiteman
November 1st, 2009, 10:43 AM
That's not gonna hold the guitar. :what

Spudman
November 1st, 2009, 12:24 PM
That's not gonna hold the guitar. :what

Sorry. I didn't think you were that far along.:D

sumitomo
November 1st, 2009, 09:03 PM
Way to go briv2,I know it blues you'll be playing,so may I suggest looking into so of TW henderson's stuff it's slower with a heavy groove,good club stuff.Sumi:D

Brian Krashpad
November 2nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Break a leg Bob!

birv2
November 2nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
Way to go briv2,I know it blues you'll be playing,so may I suggest looking into so of TW henderson's stuff it's slower with a heavy groove,good club stuff.Sumi:D

Interesting stuff he's got there. I'll give him another listen and see if there's anything there we can steal, I mean cover.

Thanks to all for the good wishes and Geritol jokes.:cool:

otaypanky
November 4th, 2009, 11:13 PM
You talkin' about George, birv2?

birv2
November 5th, 2009, 07:32 AM
You talkin' about George, birv2?

Yup. Who are you in real life? Do you go to the local jams? Maybe we've crossed paths. I'm in Lancaster.

Bob