PDA

View Full Version : Great Monitor and Speakers - Cheap!

bigG
October 31st, 2009, 12:09 PM
Anyone looking to upgrade comp monitor and speakers?

Recently I needed a new monitor. I was using a Philips 17" CRT that finally gave up the ghost. So I checked around, and found a HUGE deal at Staples. Acer 19" LCD on closeout for $97.99! Check it out if you're in the market for one.

Speakers: believe it or not, I went to Radio Shack, of all places, looking for something, anything that would be better than the speakers that came w my HP PC back in 2001. I found their "house brand" Cyber Acoustics 2.1 Amplified Speaker System; a sub/sat deal for $27.99!

Not expecting much, but certainly an improvement over what I had been using, I got 'em home, hooked 'em up, and...I was blown away! Im a golden-eared audiophile and this sub/sat system is amazingly close to audiophile quality sound! I had to go into my HP's nVidia nine-band EQ and dump a bit of boominess around 125-250Hz, and add just a bit of highs around 7kHz.

This is now my new bedroom stereo! All on-line stuff that's recorded well sounds amazing from abt 40Hz on up (the little ported cab w a 3" "long throw woofer" does not lack for true, clean, clear and punchy low-end!), as do the many CDs I've been playing thru it! (I set the sub box behind the monitor and the 3-dimensional soundstage depth is really impressive!)

Great new 19" monitor = $97.99. Really great new powered sub/sat speakers = $27.99. Now that's a two-fer you just shouldn't pass up!

If you're in the market for either, highly recommended!

G

deeaa
October 31st, 2009, 02:00 PM
I'm a bit leery...you seldom get good cheap. I have yet to see a monitor I really like very much for under 500-600 euros, and I don't believe you can get really nice monitor speakers for much under a grand. Them Behringer Truths are about the best I've heard in sub-1k category. But I'm glad you've found a great deal anyhow...sometimes cheaper stuff is 10 times the value of money you throw at it and more expensive vice versa. You can put a hundred grand in speakers and get absolutely crap speakers for monitoring :-)

mrmudcat
October 31st, 2009, 03:24 PM
Hey brother if it works for ya sweet............back to gators dogs ..........gators ......FTW:happy