PDA

View Full Version : Changing direction

Plank_Spanker
October 31st, 2009, 04:45 PM
With the closure of my last band, I've had a few weeks to think about what I want to do, and I have arrived at a decision. I'm going to dive into the blues and learn slide while I'm at it. I need a challenge to to continue growing as a player, and love the blues.

This will mean some extended time in the woodshed, but I'm up for it. It's time for a change. :cool:

birv2
October 31st, 2009, 04:57 PM
Congrats on an excellent choice: the blues! Like they say, it takes a weekend to learn the blues, and a lifetime to master them. So you're in the for the long haul.

Who are your fave blues artists? Which direction are you headed in the blues?

mrmudcat
October 31st, 2009, 04:59 PM
Yea inquiring minds want to know.........:cool: :bootyshake

Plank_Spanker
October 31st, 2009, 05:48 PM
I'm a Jim Thackery fan.......................he's going to be my inspiration.

He has a an edge I really like.

Slide............................I'm just going to wing it until I get it right.

hubberjub
October 31st, 2009, 06:23 PM
Gonna start playing slide, eh? You know what this means. It's time for a Gibson Robot Les Paul so you can change tunings on the fly. JUST BUY IT!

Plank_Spanker
October 31st, 2009, 06:42 PM
Gonna start playing slide, eh? You know what this means. It's time for a Gibson Robot Les Paul so you can change tunings on the fly. JUST BUY IT!

No sir.........................I'm too old school and I'll do it myself. :D

Blaze
October 31st, 2009, 07:01 PM
Cool project Spanker...:applause

Look at this guy lessons if you feel for it ...he is got it right..

EPChfSClslQ&feature

krPUGpPNOn8&feature

Plank_Spanker
October 31st, 2009, 07:13 PM
Cool! Thanks, Blaze! :dude

Spudman
October 31st, 2009, 07:24 PM
This is so cool that you've decided to do this. It's a great way to explore new territory. I've been wanting to myself but just never made the time. You may have just inspired me to finally do some exploring of my own.

Good luck on your journey Spanky.

tot_Ou_tard
November 3rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
Slide is next on my list to study, but first I have to get fingerstyle blues under my belt.

mrmudcat
November 3rd, 2009, 07:36 AM
That will absolutely help in this case..............:happy

sumitomo
November 3rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=Plank_Spanker]With the closure of my last band, I've had a few weeks to think about what I want to do, and I have arrived at a decision. I'm going to dive into the blues and learn slide while I'm at it. I need a challenge

AMEN! Plank,now your talkin' and Jimmy Thackery is one of my favs also,Check out an album he did with David Raitt ( Bonnie's brother) called

That's It. Sumi:D :applause :happy

Almost forgot Andy Aledort has a great DVD on slide and all his teaching is done from a blues base.:cool:

piebaldpython
November 3rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
Slide............................I'm just going to wing it until I get it right.

Slide is an ART unto itself. And to speed that process along, David Hamburger has a bunch of YouTube tutorials on how to get that fabulous tone. It's MOSTLY in the picking hand damping....much more needed than in fingerstyle blues.

jpfeifer
November 3rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Plank Spanker,

One of the best things you can do as a musician is try a new direction like this, and force yourself to grow, whether it's by learning slide, or some new style, etc. Music is one of those things where you have to keep it fresh to stay into it. Playing the same stuff all the time is kind of like having the same food everyday. After a while you just need a change of pace. If I don't find new things to work on every now and then, I get really bored of my playing.

Follow your gut. If learning slide is that new direction for you then follow it!
I've tried to get some slide technique over the past year or so. I'm still a hack at it. It really helps if you quit using a pick and use your fingers instead. This was the major turning point for me. The other thing that helped me was using a glass slide instead of metal. Glass seems to have more or that Duane Alman sound that I like.

Good luck with the new direction. Make some recordings of your stuff!

--Jim

Plank_Spanker
November 3rd, 2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I've needed a challenge for quite a while now and I'm in no mood to launch another band playing the same old, same old. I've always paid lip service to learning slide, so now's a good time to make it happen. I also love the blues and have the perfect gear for it, so there is no excuse for me not to dig into it.

I just might cry on a few shoulders here as I go along................:rotflmao:

Plank_Spanker
November 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Slide is an ART unto itself. And to speed that process along, David Hamburger has a bunch of YouTube tutorials on how to get that fabulous tone. It's MOSTLY in the picking hand damping....much more needed than in fingerstyle blues.

The finger style blues slide is what I intend to pursue. Thanks for the tutorial links!

BluesHowler
November 3rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
I've never heard of Jim Thackery. I checked out his MySpace and I like him a lot! Great choice for the style you want to learn.

Plank_Spanker
November 3rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
I've never heard of Jim Thackery. I checked out his MySpace and I like him a lot! Great choice for the style you want to learn.

Jim covers it all from old school to melt your face style electric blus. He's a killer musician.

BluesHowler
November 3rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
He's playing the Little Bear Saloon in Evergreen Colorado November 15th!

One of my favorite music bars and I'll definitely be there. The song "Cool Guitars" is fricken awesome. I love the line "I'll sell the b!tches car and buy a cool guitar". I want to paint that on my guitar case.