PDA

View Full Version : Blocking a Floyd Rose Trem with $$$$$

Redhat
November 2nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
I don't know what I was thinking 15 years ago when I ordered the Carvin guitar (DC127? no model #) with a Floyd Rose Tremolo. At first it was all "Eddie dive bombs and Satriani licks" but then a string broke and Ughh!, what a pain an otherwise great guitar turned out to be.

So the other day, I decided to block (actually lock) the trem. by filling the space on either side of it's inertia plate with spacers which immobilizes it. I had no hardwood spacers and I was thinking what the heck, if having a heavy bridge can increase sustain, why not use brass blocks as spacers? The guitar, as with most trem. guitars, has hardly any low freq. sustain since the energy gets out by vibrating the springs and trem mechanism.

Anyway, then I looked at how much a chunk of brass would cost and it occurred to me, it might be a more efficient use of my money to actually use my money. So I filled the space with quarters. It took 33 of them wedged inside but they totally immobilize the trem., add mass and couples the bridge acoustically to the guitar body.

And now the guitar sounds so much better. Using the "in the bathroom while unplugged test" you can really hear the increased low freq. sustain. You can bend strings and the others don't go flat and it doesn't take two days to tune the thing anymore.

Money in the bank....:dude

Kodiak3D
November 2nd, 2009, 09:08 PM
You should say to people, "Do you know how much money I have put into this guitar? Seven dollars and seventy five cents."

Redhat
November 2nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
yeah but you know how it goes. Now that its a 'cool' guitar again its off to Di Marzio to make it sound good with an amp too.

I'm trying out a DP166 on the bridge and a DP165 on the neck. (Musician's friend was very friendly today). I also thought I try an old Seymore Duncan hot rails I have laying around in the center position.

Its stock pickups are insult to my Marshall.