PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on Gibson Melody Maker Reissue

hubberjub
November 4th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I have the opportunity to pick up a reissue Melody Maker locally for about $250. It's one of the first reissues with the single P-90. I've only played the ones with the strat-like single coil. Does anyone have any experience with this model? I checked out the HC reviews but they are kind of worthless.
Thanks.
Patrick

Brian Krashpad
November 5th, 2009, 08:16 AM
No experience myself but at $250 I'd be all over that like white on rice.

Stick a Junior pickguard on it and you got a lightweight USA made Gibson Junior clone for cheap.

ZMAN
November 5th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I don't own one but I have 5 Gibson guitars. They all play very well and I have a 1968 SG special with P90s and it always has been a great sounding guitar. If you can get a MIA Gibson guitar for 250, I would be all over it.
Apparently Gibson has made some strides in reducing the p90 hum. Which is usually cancelled only in the middle position on a two pickup p90 guitar.
I have heard some Youtube demos with it but the amps are usually pretty small in these demos. With a good tube amp you should get some great tones.
I don't think you could buy the electronics for this guitar for 200 bucks.
BTW they are selling for 499 on MF currently.
Be aware that the wrap around tailpiece Can only adjust up or down. There are no individual saddles. My 69 Sg has this and funny enough it has the lowest buzzless action of any guitar I own. The top wrap is supposed to give more sustain, and a lot of guys do it with their normal LPs. IF you can I would make sure the action is good before you buy.
Sounds like a deal to me.

hubberjub
November 5th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I don't own one but I have 5 Gibson guitars. They all play very well and I have a 1968 SG special with P90s and it always has been a great sounding guitar. If you can get a MIA Gibson guitar for 250, I would be all over it.
Apparently Gibson has made some strides in reducing the p90 hum. Which is usually cancelled only in the middle position on a two pickup p90 guitar.
I have heard some Youtube demos with it but the amps are usually pretty small in these demos. With a good tube amp you should get some great tones.
I don't think you could buy the electronics for this guitar for 200 bucks.
BTW they are selling for 499 on MF currently.
Be aware that the wrap around tailpiece Can only adjust up or down. There are no individual saddles. My 69 Sg has this and funny enough it has the lowest buzzless action of any guitar I own. The top wrap is supposed to give more sustain, and a lot of guys do it with their normal LPs. IF you can I would make sure the action is good before you buy.
Sounds like a deal to me.

Thanks for the reply. This is one of the earlier reissues (2003-4) and does not have the wrap around bridge. It has a TOM. I think I might pick it up just to keep my other guitars company.