PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 9.10

guitartango
November 4th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Anyone installed the new version of Ubuntu ? Looks really nice and quick to install.

bcdon
November 4th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Anyone installed the new version of Ubuntu ? Looks really nice and quick to install.
I have it running on both 32-bit and 64-bit machines. I had been running 9.04 and just hit "upgrade distribution," and after an hour or so it was up and running. I really like the new Ubuntu-stylized interface.

If you are new to Linux then Ubuntu is the way to go. Heck, even if you aren't new to Linux as I've been running it since 94. I also like OpenSuSE (http://www.opensuse.org/) and 11.2 will be released in another week.

Cheers!

guitartango
November 5th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I have it running on both 32-bit and 64-bit machines. I had been running 9.04 and just hit "upgrade distribution," and after an hour or so it was up and running. I really like the new Ubuntu-stylized interface.

If you are new to Linux then Ubuntu is the way to go. Heck, even if you aren't new to Linux as I've been running it since 94. I also like OpenSuSE (http://www.opensuse.org/) and 11.2 will be released in another week.

Cheers!

Never liked their package manager , much prefer apt-get install !!!!. The good thing with Linux is the choice you get over different desktops.

peachhead
November 9th, 2009, 09:18 PM
A few months ago I took my wife's older laptop and installed Ubuntu on it- just to get a feel for it. I just upgraded it to 9.10 and I like it, but I can't get her to use it (no big deal, since we have a newer one anyway that she uses). I've been alternating between the Ubuntu and Kubuntu/KDE desktops and I've been pretty impressed with it.
I had the idea that I would set it up to be a print server for my windows machines but have not been very successful as of yet.

bcdon
November 9th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I had the idea that I would set it up to be a print server for my windows machines but have not been very successful as of yet.
Have a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkPrintingWithUbuntu

Eric
November 10th, 2009, 06:11 AM

Yeah, I installed it maybe a week or two ago. It's pretty remarkable how far Ubuntu has come in terms of usability from when I first started using it, which was somewhere around 6.

I haven't tried to tackle recording duties on it yet, and my video card is acting a little weird, in that the available resolutions aren't too varied and I can't enable desktop effects yet, but I definitely like 9.10.

steevc
November 11th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I've been using Ubuntu for a couple of years. Have done a couple of installs and some upgrades. Some of the latter resulted in problems that took a while to sort out. I upgraded this time from 9.04 and it went very smoothly. I use Kubuntu as I just prefer KDE. I still have a few problems, some of which I had previously, but generally it works for me. I have XP on an old laptop, but that is not used much. I don't play games.

One of these days I will do some recording on the PC. I may set up a separate machine for that so I can optimise it for audio. I intend to use Linux for that too, probably Ardour/Jack plus things like Hydrogen for drums.

guitartango
November 11th, 2009, 03:31 PM
One of these days I will do some recording on the PC. I may set up a separate machine for that so I can optimise it for audio. I intend to use Linux for that too, probably Ardour/Jack plus things like Hydrogen for drums.

Tried Ardour a few times and gave up, maybe due to my cheap soundcard. Still prefer to use Cubase on Windows or Mac.

Good luck with it if you can get it working (or jackd).

Eric
November 11th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Tried Ardour a few times and gave up, maybe due to my cheap soundcard. Still prefer to use Cubase on Windows or Mac.

Good luck with it if you can get it working (or jackd).

I have had a heck of a time figuring out pluse audio and jack. Because of that, I never got Ardour to work.

Let me know if you figure out any of it. I feel like the key is pulse audio, which is a Gnome thing, but I could still use help with jack.

The whole reason I was interested in Ardour was just so that I could use the CAPS LADSPA plugins (http://quitte.de/dsp/caps.html).