PDA

View Full Version : FT HOOD Shooting

street music
November 5th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I hope that none of our members have family members included in the shooting that has taken place on the Ft Hood base in Texas. 12 reported dead and 31 others injured. Well wishes to those who have survived.

Childbride
November 5th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I hope that none of our members have family members included in the shooting that has taken place on the Ft Hood base in Texas. 12 reported dead and 31 others injured. Well wishes to those who have survived.

no family involved. tragic loss 30 miles south of us.

our thoughts and hearts are with their families.

Spudman
November 5th, 2009, 09:42 PM
That is horrible. I lived in Ft Hood and it's a strange place but this takes it to a whole other level. What a tragedy.

Tig
November 6th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Even though I no longer have any family at the base, this tragedy hits me harder than I expected. Not because it is close to me in Texas, but because of the losses for the families. There is so much suffering at and around that base already, with so many who have died overseas, and tens of thousands returning wounded. My heart really goes out to everyone affected.

// On a lighter note, the last time I was at Ft. Hood was on a Boy Scout trip in the mid-70's. I remember playing on the old tanks, "camping" on the floor of an old barracks, visiting the horse stables, and eating at the enlisted mess.
Here's a time capsule for some of you:
The song I remember on the drive there and back was Paul Simon's "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover"!
Also, the scout master was talking most of the time on his CB!

Brian Krashpad
November 6th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Prayers for and mojo to the survivors and the families of the fallen.

And a prayer for no backlash against the Muslim community.

ibanezjunkie
November 7th, 2009, 05:16 AM
its people like that Major who reinforce racist ideas about muslims.

Mike S.
November 8th, 2009, 02:37 PM
its people like that Major who reinforce racist ideas about muslims.
Agreed. If the Muslim community wishes to absolve themselves of these radical elements, they should be speaking out adamantly apposed to such actions, and rebuking at every opportunity.

I've yet to see this take place to an adequate degree however, here or abroad.

Kodiak3D
November 8th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Agreed. If the Muslim community wishes to absolve themselves of these radical elements, they should be speaking out adamantly apposed to such actions, and rebuking at every opportunity.

I've yet to see this take place to an adequate degree however, here or abroad.

Problem with doing that abroad is when they try to go against extremism, they get shot for it by the extremists. I give you the recent "elections" in Iran.

Mike S.
November 8th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Problem with doing that abroad is when they try to go against extremism, they get shot for it by the extremists. I give you the recent "elections" in Iran.
"Abroad" does not imply, to the exclusion of all other nations, those in the "thick of it". I am referencing the Islamic elements of the many applicable free nations, where one sees little public outcry against terroristic action despite the freedom to do so.

This silence can be, and is, perceived as a sort of obsequious nod to the terrorism, if not outright approval.

Kodiak3D
November 8th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I am referencing the Islamic elements of the many applicable free nations, where one sees little public outcry against terroristic action despite the freedom to do so.

In that case, it's a very valid point. Sometimes I wonder if they even realize they have that freedom or not. I think freedom is a very foreign concept to many of them since many seem to follow the laws of the Quran first and the laws of the land second.

This silence can be, and is, perceived as a sort of obsequious nod to the terrorism, if not outright approval.

Again, a very valid point. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt in matters like this, but if there were a group of militant Baptists* going around killing people, the rest of the Christian community would certainly speak out against them.

* - Baptists used merely as an example and no offense is intended toward any Baptists reading this.