PDA

View Full Version : Kustom 12 Gauge vs Crate FW 15 R vs Laney Cub 8 vs Peavey Royal 8

mattis
November 6th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I want to buy home practicing amp. I play mostly rock, hard rock and metal. I have metal muff and digitech digidelay. Which of these four would be the best? Only these three come into play.

Vote and reason your vote.

Brian Krashpad
November 6th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I'd get the Kustom or Crate for the style of music you suggest. They bring more power and a bigger speaker for a little more bottom, whereas as the smaller-speakered tube combos are better suited for less heavy music. Of the two ss amps with the 12, the Crate may have the edge with a closed-back speaker, versus open-back for the Kustom.

Fwiw, ymmv.

mattis
November 6th, 2009, 10:13 AM
So what is better - SS 12" or Tube 8"

Dauntless
November 6th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I've got a Fender Super Champ that works great for at home use! :cool:

markb
November 6th, 2009, 08:25 PM
For home practice the small valve amps are too loud if you want distortion. For metal I'd go SS. A bigger speaker will give you more bass if the cabinet's up to the job. I'd get the Crate or the Kustom.

mattis
November 7th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Any more opinions?

oldguy
November 7th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I want to buy home practicing amp. I play mostly rock, hard rock and metal. I have metal muff and digitech digidelay. Which of these three would be the best? Only these three come into play.

Vote and reason your vote.

Which amp would be the best option?
Kustom 12 Gauge
Crate FW 15 R
Laney Cub 8
Peavey Valveking Royal 8

I'm seeing four choices to vote on.
Which three are we choosing from?
:help
(welcome to the forum, btw)

mattis
November 7th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Oh sorry, I wrote three by mistake. I'll fix that.

kiteman
November 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I had a Kustom 12 Gauge combo. The amp's alright but rather cheap. The box and the speaker's great though. I also had a Valve Jr combo that's rather nice but I didn't like the 8" speaker so I did this. :)

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/6229/s5030285.jpg (http://img134.imageshack.us/i/s5030285.jpg/)

mattis
November 7th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Is it Valve Jr in Kustom 12 Gauge's box? Great mod! But I don't have enough time to do any mod... I need amp right now...

kiteman
November 7th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Is it Valve Jr in Kustom 12 Gauge's box? Great mod! But I don't have enough time to do any mod... I need amp right now...

Yep, and it sounded great. :)

The preacher at our local church owns it now.

Duff
November 15th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I have a FW15R I got for 99. Was okay.

Then I put an extra 12 inch Celestion 70/80 in there and it was transformed into an incredible solid state amp, super clean, clear with great distortion channel. Major difference with the Celestion. Decent amp to begin with.

The twelve inch speaker makes it a neat amp.