PDA

View Full Version : Are you ready for some Rawk?

marnold
November 6th, 2009, 04:06 PM
(Or an unreasonable facsimile?)

Here's my first attempt at recording the Metal Method Stage 4 solo. It's by far the most complicated solo I've ever learned. I know there are a couple of mistakes in there, especially on the fast descending run at the beginning that I don't land very well. It's a work in progress, but I'm pretty proud of how it's gone thus far.

So without further ado: my hack at the Stage 4 solo (http://www.box.net/shared/riheet5pck)

Signal chain is as follows:
DK2M->AD30VT->Sound Blaster Audigy->Audacity 1.3.6

Sorry my tone sounds all buzzy and nasty. It sounds infinitely+2 better through my Ragin Cajun.

Robert
November 6th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Cool, Rev Rawk! Sounds like a Thin Lizzy ballad... :)

Sounds like you have most of the technique down, just have to work a little bit on the timing, to make it sound more smooth and convincing, but overall, it's a good job!

What you could try is to try and sing/hum the solo, and memorize it that way. It can help improve the overall execution part on the guitar.

Eric
November 6th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks for posting this. It sounds good, and is quite a step up from the last one you posted. How metal-specific are those videos? I take it they're pretty helpful?

marnold
November 6th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks for posting this. It sounds good, and is quite a step up from the last one you posted. How metal-specific are those videos? I take it they're pretty helpful?
They're geared for hard rock/classic metal, but basics are applicable to just about everything. The theory sections were very helpful to me. Basically the solo is taught in four parts throughout the stage. He incorporates techniques that you learn in that stage into it. It's kind of a "practical application" thing.

The solo for Stage 5 is going to be a bear, but I'm looking forward to it :)

marnold
November 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Sounds like you have most of the technique down, just have to work a little bit on the timing, to make it sound more smooth and convincing, but overall, it's a good job!

What you could try is to try and sing/hum the solo, and memorize it that way. It can help improve the overall execution part on the guitar.
That's basically what I've been trying to do. Today is really the first time I've played it with the backing track. All of your "sins" in memorization/timing are exposed for all to see. Plus I tend to get the yips when I'm recording. I'm happy that I've got it this far. There's a lot of practicing that's gone into it.

luvmyshiner
November 6th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Very nice Rev!:AOK

sumitomo
November 6th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I like the tone,and I know about the yips,I always forget to breathe and haven't figured how to record with the backing track,I'll figure it out someday I've learned all this other stuff on my own,but good job Rev! Sumi:D

M29
November 6th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Sweet Rev:happy Nice tone and ya got some sting goin on there, very nice indeed. :rockon

Algonquin
November 6th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Nice job Matt... now to torture the heck out of the family like I do by playing it over and over and over and over again! (insert evil grin here)

Nothing worthwhile is ever easy... keep up the good chops! :AOK

oldguy
November 7th, 2009, 07:12 AM
That's good, Matt. And that's a pretty complicated solo, also.
When you can play it w/o thinking it will start to sound more fluid and natural. If you record it again at that point you'll see how much you're improving. And a big congrats, 'cause you are improving.:applause

bigG
November 7th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Rawk on, Rev! Sounded pretty good! I thought of Tony Iommi upon listening. :applause

Always remember, everyone from SRV to Malmsteen and Vai were once at that very same point in learning. They were all right where you are at some point. Not to compare their playing to yours, just saying that you're obviously on the right road! Gettin' it done, man...makin' it happen! :dude

Blaze
November 7th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Right on Marnold !

Keep on the good work.. :applause :applause

Rampant
November 7th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Hell yeah.
Impressive stuff matey...

Rock on :)