PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a noise gate?

birv2
November 6th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I'm experiencing lots of single coil hum when playing out, and it's starting to get to me. I turn down the guitar between numbers so I can't hear it. I'm wondering if I should get a noise gate and am looking at the Boss NS-2.

Any suggestions? Would it kill my tone, sustain, etc.? I'm liking the sound I'm getting and don't want to mess it up.

Spudman
November 6th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I find the built in global noise gate comes in real handy on my M13 for just the reason you said. I play Strats and the venues don't always have decent wiring. Our lights can also cause some noise. So I do use it when needed. Otherwise I turn it down as much as possible.

markb
November 6th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Only the one on my Cube 60. Of all the guitars I've played strats are by far the noisiest.

deeaa
November 6th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I used to use a rackmount Rocktron HUSH III but since I swapped to EMG's I haven't needed one any more. Also an all-tube p-t-p amp helps with being quiet :-) I did also try one pedal gate, I forget which one it was though...but the HUSH was a good gate.

sunvalleylaw
November 6th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I have a NS-2 and it works pretty well! Plus it supplies power to other pedals. I go through phases of using it and not using it. I think I get good tones out of it along with my distro and overdrives, and even with my muff, but I have to be careful with the Muff, it will cut off that sweet sustain unnaturally sometimes if I don't watch how things are set up.

Tig
November 7th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I find the built in global noise gate comes in real handy on my M13 for just the reason you said.

FYI, in case you don't already know:

M9 and M13 Updated
Line 6 (http://www.sweetwater.com/click/is_110609/dstore/manufacturer/Line_6) has released new software versions for the popular M9 (http://www.sweetwater.com/click/is_110609/dstore/detail/M9) and M13 (http://www.sweetwater.com/click/is_110609/dstore/detail/M13) stompbox-modeling multieffects pedalboards. (The software in currently shipping units should be current; for older units, Line6.com to ensure you have the latest software in your M9 or M13.)

The updates include a variety of new models:

Pattern Tremolo
Script Phaser
AC Flanger Bucket Brigade chip modeled
80A Flanger Bucket Brigade chip modeled
Frequency Shifter Line 6 original
Bass Octaver
5 EQs
8 Wahs
Smart Harmony
Pitch Glide
Particle Verb - a Line 6 original!The M13 also gains the following features:

4 folders of 12 scenes each (total of 48 scenes), accessible via MIDI
Copy from Scene to Scene
Control the Looper via MIDI without the M13 going into Looper mode
Dim OFFThe M9 gains the following features:

Relative mode
Heel/toe pixels to show you where the expression pedal is
Sync to MIDI beat clock
Re-sync LFOs
4 folders of 6 scenes each (total of 24 scenes), accessible via Midi
Control the Looper via MIDI without the M9 going into looper mode
Dim OFF

Elijah
August 28th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I use the Electro-Harmonix Hum-debugger to get the hum out of my single coil pickups..makes my strat and tele quiet as a church mouse!

deeaa
August 28th, 2010, 09:26 AM
With EMGs and tube amps&true bypass Carl Martin swithboard for FX I get zero noise no matter how loud I play, except when I line up 2 OD's and a comp and delay for a crazy lead sound. But I used to use a Rocktron HUSHIII unit for years. Very hard to set so it works well with various levels of sound, and in any case it affected the sound...but it could be counter-effected with some EQ.

Bloozcat
September 1st, 2010, 08:00 AM
ISP Decimator.

It's the cat's meow.....:cool:

6stringdrug
September 1st, 2010, 07:40 PM
When I play out I do get a bit of noise from my strat in single coil position. I have a boss ns2 but I dont use the noise gate, just the mute function. But to be honest, I don't use it much at all, if there is coil hum, it doesnt block that out whilst playing unless you have it turned way up and then it becomes a tone sucking remora. I am leaning towards selling it and investing in a kilswitch instead. But thats just my $.02, YRMV

Moander
September 10th, 2010, 06:46 AM
First, being an old guy, I don't mind a wee bit of Hum. You can hear the 60 cycle hum on most of SRV's recordings.

But excessive hum is annoying. So, yes, use a Noise Gate.

Now, I love Fender guitars, but, they have traditionally sucked at shielding. 'Day shift' may shield everything, 'Night Shift' may shield nothing.

Next string change, pop up your pickguard. See if there is a metallic foil on the underside of the pickguard, usually either silvery, or copper. Also look in the pickup cavities, and any other routing.

A properly shielded guitar will have shielding in the cavities, on the backside of the pickguard, jack area cavity, basically any accessible routed area.

You can get self adhesive shielding online, at say Stewiemac, for cheap, all you need is an exacto knife or razor knife, and about 30 mins of patience.

birv2
September 10th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I'm the OP for this thread. Thanks for all the replies.

My main issue now is at home. It's an apartment in a 100-year-old house, and the wiring is brutal. Plus we have dimmer switches, air conditioners, etc. I think the only thing we don't have is a neon sign.

All my guitars are well-shielded. Sometimes it gets so obnoxious that I don't want to practice. I did get a Boss NS-2, which helps, though to my ears it kills the tone.

Robert
September 10th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I know a good noise gate - the wife shouting "BE QUIET!" ....

:D :D :D

Bloozcat
September 10th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I'm the OP for this thread. Thanks for all the replies.

My main issue now is at home. It's an apartment in a 100-year-old house, and the wiring is brutal. Plus we have dimmer switches, air conditioners, etc. I think the only thing we don't have is a neon sign.

All my guitars are well-shielded. Sometimes it gets so obnoxious that I don't want to practice. I did get a Boss NS-2, which helps, though to my ears it kills the tone.

My home is newer but in my music room there's a ceiling fan with a rheostat, another rheostat on the wall for the fan, ditto for the next room which is only about 15' from where I play. In fact, almost every room in the house has dual rheostats for the ceiling fans and two rooms have rheostats as dimmer switches for the lighting. On or off, just the presence of all of these rheostats creates noise. One of the central A/C compressors is on the other side of the exterior wall of this room.

All of my guitars are thoroughly shielded, especially my Strats and P-90 equipped guitars. Yet the noise persisted...until I got the ISP Decimator. BTW, I will add that I run the Decimator off a BBE Supa Charger power supply that has isolated ports which eliminates another source of potential noise, the wall wart.

MAXIFUNK
September 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM
First, being an old guy, I don't mind a wee bit of Hum. You can hear the 60 cycle hum on most of SRV's recordings.

But excessive hum is annoying. So, yes, use a Noise Gate.

Now, I love Fender guitars, but, they have traditionally sucked at shielding. 'Day shift' may shield everything, 'Night Shift' may shield nothing.

Next string change, pop up your pickguard. See if there is a metallic foil on the underside of the pickguard, usually either silvery, or copper. Also look in the pickup cavities, and any other routing.

A properly shielded guitar will have shielding in the cavities, on the backside of the pickguard, jack area cavity, basically any accessible routed area.

You can get self adhesive shielding online, at say Stewiemac, for cheap, all you need is an exacto knife or razor knife, and about 30 mins of patience.

Great info a newbie/novice thanks

sunvalleylaw
September 11th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I have a NS-2 and it works pretty well! Plus it supplies power to other pedals. I go through phases of using it and not using it. I think I get good tones out of it along with my distro and overdrives, and even with my muff, but I have to be careful with the Muff, it will cut off that sweet sustain unnaturally sometimes if I don't watch how things are set up.

My set up has changed a bit since I posted this, and I still use the NS-2 sometimes, but only when I have too. I don't worry about a little hum, but if it gets excessive . . .