PDA

View Full Version : I got f***ed!

Spudman
November 7th, 2009, 12:37 AM
So we started this cool band and played a great gig on Halloween. All is good right. Then I get a last minute gig in one of the hot clubs in town and the f***ing bass player doesn't show. We talked to him on the phone and he says he's on the way. Some of our friends even saw him drive by the place twice! No calls, nothing. I talk to his father and he said his son seemed to think the gig was Saturday and Sunday. WTF!?

We even talked to him earlier today and he was excited to play. His sister went over to his apartment and told him that we were waiting for him. We even got a bass so that could just show up and hit the stage.

Then the owners stop in and they are certainly more than mad. We have a meeting with them at noon on Saturday. It will either be tear down and never come back or some crappy thing we'll have to endure all Saturday night.

He was really enjoying playing and his father even said so.

What the hell is wrong with people? This is the strangest thing that has ever happened to me...well, other than those two girls in Canada.

hubberjub
November 7th, 2009, 01:02 AM
That sucks man. There is no excuse for a no show at a gig.

M29
November 7th, 2009, 06:06 AM
We had a band where we always wondered if the keyboard player was going to show up. We had to go get him a number of times. He lost his drivers license eventually. Then we did have to go get him every nite and he lived about 20 miles out of everyone's way. Man that is a reeeaaal bad feeling. It is actually amazing to me to be able to get 4 or 5 individuals from different families and lifestyles to all get to one place at one time. I sure can't do that with my family.

Mojo out to you and the band Spud.

M

just strum
November 7th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Maybe there is a mental issue, did you have a real sit down with the guy and see if there is some sort of personal issue? He certainly should not have done that, but you know "two sides to every story".

Now enough of that, what about those two girls in Canada?

oldguy
November 7th, 2009, 07:37 AM
That is really weird. I've had people show late, or just in time, or forget a piece of gear............... but to drive by the place and not park and go in to play the gig? Like I said, really weird.
The guy may have his reasons, if you can get him to talk about it honestly.
In any case it's too bad it happened, sympathy and mojo sent your way, and here's hoping it gets better for you all.

(we had a guy quit once b/c he couldn't take the bar atmosphere, people smoking and drinking, but he did give notice first)

Robert
November 7th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Man that sucks. What about finding another player in the last minute, do you have some contacts? Something like that has never happened to me, but I have done gigs where the bass player never rehearsed with us and didn't know half the songs, but that you can at least fake somewhat. Not showing is game over.

bigG
November 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM
spud, by f***ed you mean FRAMED, right? Otherwise some mod might come by and think you meant...oh, ummm...nevermind...:french

But seriously, there's something wrong with that boy. Not to show even the slightest courtesy, and just "disappear in person", says to me either some mind-altering substance, OR, a hot little chippy was involved. The latter even moreso if he's a married lad.

Obviously some skullduggery afoot! And, if that gig was the one you posted pix of from the soundcheck...hell, man, that was like a major deal! No excuses, no matter what his "reasons" might be!

I was just lucky, I guess. NEVER had to deal w any of that kinda stuff!

bigoldron
November 7th, 2009, 09:14 AM
That sucks about the bass player...

Now about those 2 girls in Canada???

Spudman
November 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Maybe there is a mental issue, did you have a real sit down with the guy and see if there is some sort of personal issue? He certainly should not have done that, but you know "two sides to every story".

Now enough of that, what about those two girls in Canada?

That is EXACTLY what I'm thinking. None of what happened makes any sense.

He called me at 1am to apologize. He said he thought it was Saturday and Sunday. Then he said he couldn't find the place. Then when asked he tells me he has lived here all his life. Our entourage saw him drive by the place 2 times and they were yelling at him and being really animated to get his attention but he never stopped. He could have also asked anyone for directions.

He then said his phone died and he ran out of gas. He did call me from a friends phone at 1 am. I asked how come he didn't call us to come get him or have a friend bring him etc. At which point he said 'I've done this before' and said 'this is it' and hung up on me. I wasn't being mean just asking him what and why. I do think he has some mental issue.

The club owner is pissed and we have to meet with them at noon today probably to pack everything up. I've also got a bunch of gigs on the books so this is serious money lost not to mention reputation.

Arrrgh!:mad: :flamemad: :reallymad:

sunvalleylaw
November 7th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Man . . . I am really sorry for you it did not work out last night. I hope you can have a productive conversation with him and figure it out, and that bridges at this place aren't burned beyond repair.

just strum
November 7th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Sounds a little like Syd Barrett syndrome. I heard his band eventually did okay.

You have to hope that the guy gets his life figured out, but you have to focus on getting the band moving forward. Seeing that you've been in a number of bands over the years, I would think you've had to deal with some difficult situations.

Is the whole gig situation at the place where you were suppose to play a total loss, or do you think you can work things out.

The reputation thing sucks, but can be forgotten if you have another good product to offer. It's about marketing now, and I don't need to tell you anything you don't already know.

M29
November 7th, 2009, 12:24 PM
2 girls Spud come on :poke

Spudman
November 7th, 2009, 01:17 PM
2 girls Spud come on :poke
I don't think forum rules will let me.:o

jpfeifer
November 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I've experienced this before myself, and it was also a bass player who did this to us in that case. This kind of passive-aggressive behavior drives me up the wall, and gives musicians a bad name.

I really don't understand people who can feel that it's o.k. to blow off a gig and leave the rest of their bandmates in a lurch. I feel so strongly about following through on a comitted gig, that I've done gigs sick before (fever, sore throat) just so that the other guys weren't left without a member.

My advice would be to fire this guy and never use him again. You're better off without him than to have him pull this same thing on you in the future.
Attitude is everything, and this guy is showing that he isn't a professional.

--Jim

Rampant
November 7th, 2009, 01:49 PM
This is the strangest thing that has ever happened to me...well, other than those two girls in Canada.

I'm sure I met those same 2 girls :D

M29
November 7th, 2009, 01:52 PM
PM, inquiring minds want to know:poke

Spudman
November 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Okay. We salvaged the gig.

Turns out the guy is very naive and innocent. He got the wrong dates in his head and when he was finally found and told that he was supposed to be playing he panicked. He is night blind and didn't have his glasses (poor move) and the club sign is set back far off the road and is really pretty hard to see. He just kept missing it. Ran out of gas trying to find us and his cell phone died. So since he doesn't handle stress very well he suffered for it. He has beat himself up terribly for his mistake. This is his first band ever. He's got enormous talent and really loves to play. He realizes how fortunate he is to be playing with players with our experience and lack of baggage (forget about the 2 Canadians for the moment).

We talked to the club owners and we are playing for free tonight and that will allow us to get further gigs down the road from them. They lost a lot of money last night. Apparently many people had heard us or heard about us and came specifically just to see us. Those people told the owners that we could indeed deliver the goods so that helped sway things in our favor.

It's all now water under the bridge and we are just looking forward to moving on and having a fun gig tonight.

Kazz
November 7th, 2009, 02:25 PM
well hopefully spud you have better potatoes for us in the morning.....sucks that because he was a bit embarrassed he could not call you guys and get directions. Playing tonight for free really bites.

bigG
November 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Nice save, spud. Hopefully it's onward and upward from here!

Geez, talk about stepping in shite and coming out smelling like a rose, pulling it out of the fire at the last second...or something like that. Really glad to hear it! :applause

M29
November 7th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Thats great!!! Let the good times roll!!!
Now about those girls in Canada..............Oh never mind I think you are making it up.....:what

Kodiak3D
November 7th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Best of luck on tonight's gig, Spud! Let us know how it turns out.

Spudman
November 7th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Thats great!!! Let the good times roll!!!
Now about those girls in Canada..............Oh never mind I think you are making it up.....:what

Thanks guys. It was a fortunate save for sure.

M29 I try to be a gentleman...however, Penthouse magazine December 1985 if you can find a copy.;)

evenkeel
November 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Very glad it has, hopefully, worked out for you. Went from wanting to strangle the knucklehead to feeling sorry for the poor schmuck.

I'm guessing the "playing a freebie" bought you some good will. Good on ya for doing that. :AOK

sunvalleylaw
November 7th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Good, saved the opportunity. I hope he has learned and grown. That he is so young makes me more hopeful that it was a true mistake and learning experience rather than some other issue. I am glad you were able to save the opportunity!

marnold
November 7th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Hope things go well tonight. His rationale sounds plausible and I hope it is.

M29
November 7th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Whoh..................:drool

msteeln
November 7th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Spuds, your OP made my own roller coaster of emotions week seem like nothing. And how awesome it was to read you pulled your butt out of the fire with the bosses, plus the guy kept his job! Everybody is a winner, providing the kid is able to show he was worth the troubles. I had a feeling it was as you/he stated, a mix of smaller things building up and then panic. Life can hand it to you that way sometimes.
But kudos for you giving him a second chance, you're a bigger spud than most! :AOK
Sure hope he learned the lesson.

player
November 7th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Excellent news Spud except the having to play for free part but as you say it could be better in the long run.Glad to hear his issues were really not his fault although he could have been up front with the band from the get go.in short nice save. :AOK

Spudman
November 8th, 2009, 03:15 AM
you're a bigger spud than most! :AOK

That's what she said.;)

Things went pretty good tonight. The owner was very happy and we had a good crowd. The bass player really surprised me. He's very good. I would throw some curve balls at him and he would totally catch them. Very solid and I can follow him. I'm glad he didn't bail on the project.

So all is good now and I can relax. If we would have lost him it would have cost the Phat Bone around $4,700. That would be from booked gigs that we would cancel and equipment investments that I've made. Phew! We dodged a real bullet.

Thank you all for your kind words and support. Rock on!!

:beavisnbutthead:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Gigs/DSCI0002.jpg

Kodiak3D
November 8th, 2009, 08:45 AM
That's great to hear, Spud! Really glad everything turned around and worked out well in the end.

sunvalleylaw
November 8th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Phewww!!! Way to be quick on your feet! Group hugs all around!! :crazyguy :happy :AOK

Robert
November 8th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Hope that success continues! Now throw a Zoom H2 recorder in front of the stage next time, so we can hear what you guys sound like!

http://www.samsontech.com/images/productimages/H2_and_accessoires-web.jpg

Spudman
November 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Hope that success continues! Now throw a Zoom H2 recorder in front of the stage next time, so we can hear what you guys sound like!

I was just thinking that. I still have my 1044 so I can just throw up a couple of mics. My biggest issue however is that I'm singing every song, running sound, lights, and fronting. Throwing recording in must break the camel's back but I'm curious to hear us too. It's such a great tool to point out what works and doesn't work though.

http://www.futurestyle.org/archives/images/z/zoom/zoomMRS1044a.gif

MAXIFUNK
November 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Okay. We salvaged the gig.

Turns out the guy is very naive and innocent. He got the wrong dates in his head and when he was finally found and told that he was supposed to be playing he panicked. He is night blind and didn't have his glasses (poor move) and the club sign is set back far off the road and is really pretty hard to see. He just kept missing it. Ran out of gas trying to find us and his cell phone died. So since he doesn't handle stress very well he suffered for it. He has beat himself up terribly for his mistake. This is his first band ever. He's got enormous talent and really loves to play. He realizes how fortunate he is to be playing with players with our experience and lack of baggage (forget about the 2 Canadians for the moment).

We talked to the club owners and we are playing for free tonight and that will allow us to get further gigs down the road from them. They lost a lot of money last night. Apparently many people had heard us or heard about us and came specifically just to see us. Those people told the owners that we could indeed deliver the goods so that helped sway things in our favor.

It's all now water under the bridge and we are just looking forward to moving on and having a fun gig tonight.

So how did the gig go last night?

Spudman
November 8th, 2009, 03:08 PM
So how did the gig go last night?

http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=154339&postcount=29

Started slow but the people just kept coming and we had a good crowd at midnight.

FrankenFretter
November 8th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Glad to hear everything turned out for the good, Spud. My experiences with bands in the past always led me to believe that all singers were flakes. That was the one band member you never seemed to be able to count on. But that was a long time ago, and it was a pretty inbred bunch of musicians in my former neck of the woods. Maybe I just had bad luck.Hard to say.

sumitomo
November 8th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Wow what an adventure!Glad things turned around.Sounds like a Novela (soap opera) Sumi:D

Spudman
November 8th, 2009, 05:14 PM
My experiences with bands in the past always led me to believe that all singers were flakes. That was the one band member you never seemed to be able to count on.

Good frontmen are hard to find. The proper acronym is L.S.S.= Lead Singer Syndrome. Most I have worked with are flakes too. Even though I sing lead for my group I do show up, set up and do my job. Rarely have I met singers that will do that.

tunghaichuan
November 8th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Good frontmen are hard to find. The proper acronym is L.S.S.= Lead Singer Syndrome. Most I have worked with are flakes too. Even though I sing lead for my group I do shop up, set up and do my job. Rarely have I met singers that will do that.

To paraphrase Robert Littell (http://www.amazon.com/Amateur-Robert-Littell/dp/0143038141/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257722581&sr=1-1), the difference between an amateur and a professional is that a professional believes if something is worth doing, it is worth doing well.

tjcurtin1
November 8th, 2009, 05:43 PM

http://www.samsontech.com/images/productimages/H2_and_accessoires-web.jpg
My wife just got one of these to record interviews, and it is really great - do you have one, Robert? It only cost about $140., does 2 channel and 4 channel surround, includes a tuner and metronome, and the sound quality is excellent.

Robert
November 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
No, I don't have that recorder, but I know it's very good. There is also the H4, which has a 4-track recording mode for easy-to-use mobile multi-track recording.

Brian Krashpad
November 13th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Good frontmen are hard to find. The proper acronym is L.S.S.= Lead Singer Syndrome. Most I have worked with are flakes too.

I usually call it LSD-- Lead Singer Disease. The acronym's way more fun.

Glad to hear things eventually worked out.

Btw, one way to help counter LSD is to only hire singers who play guitar or keyboards. It's the ones don't play instruments that are the worst.

Spudman
November 13th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Btw, one way to help counter LSD is to only hire singers who play guitar or keyboards. It's the ones don't play instruments that are the worst.

Aye. I've never had a good encounter with a LS when that is all they did.

Spudman
December 27th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Well...the new flake flew the coop. Says he'll play New Years and then he's gone. Grrrr. Looser. Man am I pissed.

I've got months of gigs on the books too. He said it was too much. Couldn't handle the pressure. Fact is we gave the guy a chance and while he is a good musician he's a looser as a person. He can never look anyone in the eyes when he talks to them. Mrs Spud even thought he was weird. What musicians aren't though? This one is a little too far in left field. So now I'm hosed again by him and have to try to find a replacement. ARRRRRRGHHHH!!!!!:thwap

Robert
December 27th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Is this the same bass player who screwed up before? Who drove by where the gig was and said he couldn't find it?

If so, I've have to say I'm not surprised. With such strange behaviour already, just a matter of time before something else happens. Which it did, aye?

I'd play bass for ya if those gigs were closer! :pancake

Well...the new flake flew the coop. Says he'll play New Years and then he's gone. Grrrr. Looser. Man am I pissed.

I've got months of gigs on the books too. He said it was too much. Couldn't handle the pressure. Fact is we gave the guy a chance and while he is a good musician he's a looser as a person. He can never look anyone in the eyes when he talks to them. Mrs Spud even thought he was weird. What musicians aren't though? This one is a little too far in left field. So now I'm hosed again by him and have to try to find a replacement. ARRRRRRGHHHH!!!!!:thwap

Spudman
December 27th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks man. I'd love to have you.
Yes it's the same naive half wit that drove by the gig and caused so much headache. He said he was having fun, but one night everything isn't all rosy and peaches and he can't handle it. Sheesh.

oldguy
December 28th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Wow........approx. Nov.6---Dec. 27, and two flake episodes. That's about 7 weeks between indecision attacks.
That's a fairly short run for anyone, here's hoping you find a replacement that's not a wanker, and soon.

marnold
December 28th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Sorry to hear that. I deal with that sort of thing all the time. It comes with working with people. Some folks don't handle pressure well at all. Others are very confident that they can do it, but once reality sets in . . . I'd love to play, but a) I'm in WI, and b) I have an abject lack of talent.

sunvalleylaw
December 28th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Sorry Spudster. I hope something works out for the gigs.

birv2
December 28th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Just read this whole sad saga. Sorry to hear about the bass player. I take it good bass players are hard to find in your area? They always seem to be a premium.

Sucks that he's gone but better than staying and you always worried about when the next incident would happen.

btw, I noticed you playing that Squier in the pic. Which one is that? How do you like it?

Bob

Spudman
December 28th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Birv
That is a Deluxe Squire with Duncan Designed pickups. It got it's own unique Strat sound. I love the bridge pickup. It's pretty fat unlike a lot of Strat bridge pickups. Overall it's a very good guitar. I love the satin neck most of all. Rolled edges and easy to play with 22 frets.

Yes bass players are hard to find. If there were a few willing to work and competent enough to hold down a gig I wouldn't be so upset. I've got thousands of dollars in gigs lined up and cancelling them would be like cutting my throat.

birv2
December 28th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Bummer on the bass player. Sending some good thoughts and mojo your way.

Sweet looking Squier. Is that your main gigging axe?

sumitomo
December 28th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Spud,but it sounds like a minor trial and a better band member and bass player is on the way,don't let it stress ya we can do that for ya you just do the foot work and locate your new guy or gal for that matter.Sumi:D

Brian Krashpad
December 28th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Bummer. Best of luck with finding a sub or permanent new player.

Spudman
December 28th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Sweet looking Squier. Is that your main gigging axe?

Sometimes it is. Otherwise it's the Classic Vibe 50s Strat or Ibanez of one kind or another. Usually an SA220 or an S Classic.

I located 2 guys who are willing. On will rehearse with us on Saturday. He lives 50 miles away and is experienced. The other I have played with before and is out of town for a week or so. He lives locally. The first guy will get the most consideration even though distance could be an issue. I just sent him the song list with keys and a disc of all the material.

sunvalleylaw
December 28th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Glad that there are options you can pursue. Keep at it!

Spudman
December 28th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Glad that there are options you can pursue. Keep at it!

It sure gets discouraging at times though. This project was just at the "cruise" point where all the material was learned and now it was just gigging all the time that would keep us sharp.

Eric
December 30th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Yes bass players are hard to find. If there were a few willing to work and competent enough to hold down a gig I wouldn't be so upset. I've got thousands of dollars in gigs lined up and cancelling them would be like cutting my throat.
So, question on this: the times I've stepped in to play bass, my simple root-note-on-the-beat bass playing has been incredibly easy to pick up, to the point where a newbie could probably be gig-ready within a couple of weeks.

What is it that is required of a bass player that would prevent you from going and getting a guitarist to step in on bass? This is something I've never understood, and I'm not trying to insult anyone -- I just think I'm missing part of the picture. Can someone enlighten me?

Spudman
December 30th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Eric

Most guitarists don't want to play bass and it requires a different mentality to play bass correctly. All the guitarists I know where I live don't have the ability to make this shift. Plus, they usually sound like guitarists trying to play bass when they do attempt it. And furthermore, most guitarists don't know walking bass patterns and lines. It really is a rhythm instrument and does require a different mindset to do properly.

Eric
December 30th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Eric

Most guitarists don't want to play bass and it requires a different mentality to play bass correctly. All the guitarists I know where I live don't have the ability to make this shift. Plus, they usually sound like guitarists trying to play bass when they do attempt it. And furthermore, most guitarists don't know walking bass patterns and lines. It really is a rhythm instrument and does require a different mindset to do properly.
That makes sense. I did find that some of the sensibilities like playing with the bass drum and margin for error were a bit different in the 10 or so times I've played live on bass. I figured those could be learned pretty quickly, but perhaps not.

Good to know. Good luck with the prospective new members.

marnold
December 30th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Bass can be learned quickly. Just not well :) It is definitely not just a guitar with two fewer strings. Just listen to Sammy Hagar's solo album that EVH played bass on to learn that lesson.

Having said that, you can probably become a reasonable bass player in a shorter period of time than you can become a reasonable lead guitarist.

Eric
December 30th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Bass can be learned quickly. Just not well
See, that has always been my impression of it, but I never knew why. That bugged me. I chalked it up to timing and playing clean and other bass-y sensibilities, but the lack of a real answer from an actual bass player has eluded me thus far.

Hast thou enlightenment?

Spudman
December 30th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Hast thou enlightenment?
http://www.geektown.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/gotmilk.jpg

When I've played bass I've noticed it's a big departure from playing lead guitar (chords and note runs). The timing is all different than guitar. Bass is mostly ON the beat and guitar is ALL OVER the beat. It really requires a different mindset to do properly.

This is also the mindset that leads to so many bass player jokes. They are a different breed for sure. I'm talking about the real "bass players." As I think back through my career they all had a little something that was unique about them but that same uniqueness existed through each one of them. They were similar that way.

It looks like I've two of "them" to try out in just a couple of days.

marnold
December 31st, 2009, 08:43 AM
See, that has always been my impression of it, but I never knew why. That bugged me. I chalked it up to timing and playing clean and other bass-y sensibilities, but the lack of a real answer from an actual bass player has eluded me thus far.

Hast thou enlightenment?
I don't know how enlightened of an answer I can give you. I started out on acoustic and hated it because my guitar was awful to play and my instructor used one of those hateful Mel Bay books. The whole thing made me want to go all "El Kabong" on someone.

I picked up the bass almost by accident when I was a senior and was completely self taught. In many ways that was good, but in many other ways it was bad. A modicum of theory would have done me a world of good.

The big thing is one of timing. You really need to be locked in with the drummer. If you aren't, the whole song falls apart. Unfortunately, I haven't played with a drummer in so long that I fear things would be pretty ugly. As far as "how" to get locked in, I can't say. I just did it. I never was taught what to listen for. I just listened and figured it out. So I can do it, I just can't explain it too well. That was a problem when I started using a metronome. As dumb as it sounds, I couldn't figure out the rhythm.

Eric
December 31st, 2009, 09:00 AM
That was a problem when I started using a metronome. As dumb as it sounds, I couldn't figure out the rhythm.
Sounds dumb, but I've experienced the exact same thing. At the lessons I've been taking recently, we're making up mock tracks. When the guy put on the metronome, I had a really hard time finding the beat; when he fired up the drum machine, I was locked in almost instantly.

It's weird how the more distilled version of keeping time can actually be more difficult to understand.

I get a fair idea of the different approach on bass from you and Spud. I've felt like, with a little focus on the bass, it probably wouldn't take me incredibly long to get reasonably proficient at it. In some senses it's the less-is-more idea, and realizing that screwups are under the spotlight on bass. As I get better at the guitar, I think in some ways I get worse at the bass, because I want to wank around more.

mainestratman
January 27th, 2010, 12:20 PM
So Spud.. you may have answered this in a different post, how did the auditions go? Any luck securing a bass player?

I had to chuckle at the shift in conversation... getting a guitarist to sit in on bass for you... I can't tell you how many times I came ->||<- this close to selling my guitar gear for a good bass set up. Or a drum kit. :-)