PDA

View Full Version : Back from camping in Jasper

Robert
September 4th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Hi guys, been missing a bit - went camping (tenting) in Jasper this long weekend (for us Canadians) with my wife and 2 oldest kids + little dog. Nice weather, insanely warm for September! An elk kept us up awake the first night - apparently it's rutting season (http://www.sfgate.com/getoutside/1996/aug/rut.html)!

Anyway, I saw the spam issue and took care of it. Let me know if I missed any major events around here :)

Other news, guitar-wise, is that my SX electro-acoustic is in transit. I'm looking forward to plugging it in!

Katastrophe
September 6th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I don't even want to think about what two elk sound like in the throes of... whatever it is they're in the throes of.:eek: ;) :eek:

I haven't been camping in years. Used to have a nice dome tent, the whole kit and caboodle. If prepared for properly, it can be a lot of fun. If unprepared, it can be the very definition of the word "miserable."

Please, tell us more about the SX... Which model did you get? When's it gonna get to you? How soon can you post pics? How soon will it be in a lesson vid?

Inquiring minds wanna know...:D

warren0728
September 7th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Let me know if I missed any major events around here :)
well i made pancakes for everybody...sorry you missed it ;)

ww

tot_Ou_tard
September 7th, 2006, 06:05 AM
well i made pancakes for everybody...sorry you missed it ;)

ww
Well I'm glad to have missed that :eek:

I haven't been camping in a long while either. I used to go on serious three week backpacking trips with my family as a teenager.

Rutting elk?!? Hoo boy. I've never heard that, but I did once see/hear giant tortoises in the throes.

Really slow bassy boomy and LOUD.

Robert
September 7th, 2006, 07:50 AM
The rutting elk is a sound you will never forget if you are trying to sleep. Insane! I thought it was a police radio. Freaking loud too! He must have been just outside our tent.

I hope you guys enjoyed Warren's pancakes, glad I missed it :)

The SX is an acoustic with built-in microphone. Should be here next week. It will be in a lesson and with pics the same week! The model is DC 50ce see - http://www.rondomusic.net/dg50ce.html

Spudman
September 7th, 2006, 07:54 PM
My wife and I had a bugeling elk at our camp in the wilderness last weekend too. She was pretty impressed that something that looks like a cross between a horse, a cow and a deer could make such a loud strange noise.

I thought it was great because all the hunters were off in other canyons and we had all the elk to ourselves.

SuperSwede
September 7th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Another funky animal is the roe deer.. they sound like some kind of hell hound (not to mistake for Roberts amp) when they bark.. very scary indeed.

tot_Ou_tard
September 8th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Another funky animal is the roe deer.. they sound like some kind of hell hound (not to mistake for Roberts amp) when they bark.. very scary indeed.
If I ever make a boutique hand wired beauty of an amp, I'm gonna call it the Roe Deer.

It'll have a reservitude knob that'll go to minus 11 to make our Swedish & Norwegian friends happy.

Robert
September 9th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Here are some pics from the trip. Mostly running pictures of my friend when we were out for a long run.

http://picasaweb.google.com/robert.renman/JasperRunning

Spudman
September 9th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Man, Great scenery, but you runners eat the strangest things. I'd never touch those spiders...unless there was plenty of brown mustard. Cyclists eat so much better in spite of all our entre's being flat with gravel imbedded in them.;)

SuperSwede
September 9th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Robert, what a beautiful lake! Did you bring your fishing rod?

warren0728
September 9th, 2006, 02:36 PM
looks like a beautiful place to camp....why ruin it with all that running!! :D

ww

SuperSwede
September 10th, 2006, 05:26 AM
looks like a beautiful place to camp....why ruin it with all that running!! :D

ww

Because there is a love-sick elk chasing you? :D