PDA

View Full Version : Sleepless Night

just strum
November 8th, 2009, 06:57 AM
I woke up about 12:30 and heard a loud vehicle driving around near the house. We are near the end of our street which is a cul-de-sac and it's odd to have any activity that late at night. I got up, went downstairs and noticed the truck pulling up going real slow, turned their lights off and parked across the street in front of the one entrance to my driveway. It sat there for a while and I decided to call the police.

As I waited for the police, the truck moved further down the street, turned around in the cul-da-sac and then into the driveway across from me where it sat for a minute or two. The truck pulled away and I thought they were gone. As I was going to go back to bed, I caught a silhouette of someone outside walking on the edge of the road. I couldn't make out much (it is extremely dark where I live), but could tell they were dressed in dark clothes.

I started to call the police again (they still hadn't arrived) when suddenly the truck went racing down the street heading for the exit of our development. About 5 minutes later a car went by the house real slow, it was the police. I called the station again and asked if they found anyone, the answer was "no". The woman on the other end tried to make a joke of it, but I got pissed and said something like "If you assholes would move a little faster you may have caught the person" and hung up (do you hang up with a cell or is it "I pushed the disconnect button with authority"? If someone was murdered across the street, the police will have a lot of explaining to do.

I am giving serious consideration to buying a gun this week. My description of what took place does not really describe the activity that took place earlier this morning.

Kodiak3D
November 8th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Well, I'm not one of the hardcore pro-militia gun owners, but I do own guns you just described one of the reasons why. However, if you get a gun, make sure you learn how to use it properly and safely (I'm going under the assumption you aren't experienced with guns, which could be wrong).

luvmyshiner
November 8th, 2009, 09:26 AM
That's some pretty scary stuff Strum. Whatever was going on, it wasn't good. We've had our cars broken into a few times, and it always makes you feel on edge for several weeks. I finally installed an outside light several years ago that seems to have solved the problem (knock on wood). The only problem is, it's so bright that airplanes keep trying to land on our front lawn.

Blaze
November 8th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Too bad for you Strum ..

Try a motion detector light ,neighbor has one ,realy efficient or get one of these 2 guys...Please no gun..

http://southernsmokepitbulls.com/pictures/blue-bully-style-pitbulls-%20pit%20bull-%20blue%20nose-3.jpg

Spudman
November 8th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Try a motion detector light ,neighbor has one ,realy efficient or get one of these 2 guys...Please no gun..

I'm all for the motion light. Crooks hate light. The only problem I see with blaze's idea is that you gotta feed them and you end up with a yard full of poop and an occasional dead neighbor. Guns you never have to feed, take for a walk or clean up after.

bigG
November 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Bad news, strummy. Glad nuthin happened!

Add another vote for motion-detector floodlights. When I was an electrician, I must have furnished/installed literally hundreds of those. They are a great deterent and energy-efficient in that they are only on when needed. The bad guys will run from them! (Hint: try to mount them as high-up as you can, preferrably out of reach of a person standing at ground-level, as a crook can, and will, easily break or unscrew the bulbs real quick-like.)

just strum
November 8th, 2009, 12:18 PM
We have motion detector lights in the back of the house, flood lights at the two ends in the back (I turned them on as soon as I sensed something. I told my wife that from now on the front lights stay on.

We have a large Airedale that will start barking as soon as she senses someone coming in, and two smaller dogs that go off at the drop of a dime.

This person or persons stayed across the street and besides the sound of the truck (pick-up or SUV, to hard to tell because of it being so dark) the only thing I saw was the light of a cell phone.

kiteman
November 8th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Talk to any of your neighbors about that night?

Tig
November 8th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Talk to any of your neighbors about that night?

Yep, from what was described, it sounds like they were breaking into cars.

I use motion activated lights, and the dogs (even though inside) take care of the rest!

A past survey of convicted B&E types showed that most would avoid any house with a dog, regardless of size. Our little dog is the first to alert to a noise that doesn't fit and barks, which brings to alert the 2 big dogs. When they bark (rare) it would make most intruders wet their britches!

kiteman
November 8th, 2009, 03:27 PM

I use motion activated lights, and the dogs (even though inside) take care of the rest!

A past survey of convicted B&E types showed that most would avoid any house with a dog, regardless of size. Our little dog is the first to alert to a noise that doesn't fit and barks, which brings to alert the 2 big dogs. When they bark (rare) it would make most intruders wet their britches!

Yep, two things that bothers them, light and noise. :)

I used to have a nephew living with us and the bastid is a sneak thief. Taking off in my car while I sleep but gas gauges don't lie. I set up the coke bottles close to my door and one night, CLATTER! I'm outta my bed and on his ***. :socool

just strum
November 8th, 2009, 03:37 PM

Similiar set up here, but for us, two yappers (Rat Terriers) one located at night upstairs and one downstairs. Then in the utility room on the first floor is the Airedale and she has a real deep large bark.

Kite, regarding my neighbors, I haven't spoken to anyone, but my daughter said the kid across the street posted on Facebook that someone was in their yard.

oldguy
November 8th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Mark, it sounds like you've got a pretty good first line of defense with the dogs and the lights. If the police are slow to respond you might consider a good handheld spotlight and a video camera to document the situation.
Regarding buying a gun..........in a life-threatening situation, it's a deadly force last line of defense solution. I own several, and have used guns for hunting for over 40 years. However, unless everyone in the home is well acquainted with a firearm, it can become a slippery slope quickly if used to defend your home and family. A clear and present danger has to be established before the trigger is pulled, and after it is, there's no going back.
It makes a huge difference depending the situation you're dealing with.
Please think that through (although I imagine you have already) before making a decision.

I'll stop now before I get into a political discussion. I'm sure I'll get flamed from both sides, but using a gun for defense is a very serious matter, period.

just strum
November 8th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I hear you OG and the others. If I was the only one living here I would be more likely to get one. However, with three other people in the house, I am reluctant. We do have a 22 semi automatic rifle in the house, but I have never used the thing. a friend left it at my apartment when I was about 20 years old, sadly that is 35 years ago.

kiteman
November 8th, 2009, 04:15 PM
That 22 is good enough. Holds plenty of shells. I used to have a ruger mark II 22 that look like a luger. Holds 10 in the clip and one in the breach.

street music
November 8th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Mark,
check with a local sportsmen club or for a Concealed Carry Weapons class and get a permit and learn how to protect your family. The time will come that many of us will at sometime have to defend your property. I have my permit and yes I do carry protection and know how to use it and when. In Kentucky if someone is putting you or your property at a point of danger you have the right to protect it.

piebaldpython
November 8th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Damn, Strum......that is some scary stuff. Guns scare the crap out of me..........but.....there aren't any weopens that cover the large gap between a knife and a gun.......so I guess a gun is best if you perceive a REAL threat......as in a possible home invasion or car theft.

Tongue-firmly-in cheek here......if you hit one too many "bad" notes on your git-fiddle, IT might "buy the farm" via the gun. :poke

Kazz
November 8th, 2009, 07:49 PM
a 22 is just going to get you hurt. If you want something for protection a 9mm or .45 is the smallest that you want. A .357 or .44 magnum are a little more serious.

Kodiak3D
November 8th, 2009, 08:50 PM
a 22 is just going to get you hurt.

Only if you can't aim! :AOK

hubberjub
November 8th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Big up for the motion sensor lights. Buying a gun for protection is a big deal. Do not take it lightly. If you do go that route, please take the necessary precautions. Have everyone in the house take a safety course. They are an absolute last defense and are not to be taken lightly. I won't go any further as to not let my political views offend other members of this great forum.

luvmyshiner
November 8th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Well, I'm not going to lie. CB and I have guns in the house. And two of them stay loaded. BUT, we have no small children in the house and we both know how to use them. It's not something I would recommend for everyone. If you decide to go this route Mark, make sure EVERYONE, including your kids respect them and know how to use them responsibly and safely. It's a personal choice that needs to be made with responsibility.

Childbride
November 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Strummy...

in my first marriage, the ex was gone alot, working out of state.

i can very clearly remember a night where katie went nuts; i looked out my bedroom window, and saw someone casing my car in the driveway. this was about sixteen feet from my head.

i called 911... but of course, katie's barking scared him away, and the cops made fun of me, until there was a crime spree for the next four days in the neighborhood.

i have a 12 gauge under the bed. i don't have to aim if i'm sleep fuddled. i just have to shoot.

but i repeat the thoughts of og, shiner and others.

i have terrors when there are small kids in the house.

our bedroom is completely off limits.

[edit: and before anyone says i'm a redneck texas gun freak... my house was broken into three times when i was in high school, including one time when i entered the house while the thieves were still there... my car has been stolen... my car has been broken into thrice... and i have an abusive ex husband. the 12 gauge comes from life experiences.]

M29
November 8th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Amen S&W. The family knows about it in the house and it is ready to use. The police could never get here fast enough. When my college age son comes home late he makes sure I know it is him at the door and waits for my reply. They have all had firearm training and hunters safety.

bigoldron
November 9th, 2009, 08:12 AM
A gun might not be a bad idea, but I agree with Gary Rossington of Skynyrd fame. He was quoted in this month's Guitar World as saying that hand guns are only good for killing. He has a shotgun to protect his family instead. I currently don't own one, but I'd rather have a shotgun than a hand gun. It'll get their attention quicker (especially if it's a pump style - nothing like hearing that sound in the dark...), plus you stand a better chance of hitting them in a stressful situation.

Good luck to you! Oh, and the motion sensor lights will be a big help too!

Tig
November 9th, 2009, 09:09 AM
i have a 12 guage under the bed. i don't have to aim if i'm sleep fuddled. i just have to shoot.

i have terrors when there are small kids in the house.

our bedroom is completely off limits.

[edit: and before anyone says i'm a redneck texas gun freak... my house was broken into three times when i was in high school, including one time when i entered the house while the thieves were still there... my car has been stolen... my car has been broken into thrice... and i have an abusive ex husband. the 12 gauge comes from life experiences.]

Ditto on the 12 gauge under the bed, but due to our hyper and inquisitive grandson, it has to remain unloaded. I have a Remington 870 and the hidden ammo is 2 shot. I want something with a little more heft than bird shot, yet light enough that it won't penetrate past 2 layers of sheet rock and into one of the other bedrooms.

While I'm not a hunter nor gun freak, and don't support many of the hollow arguments of the NRA, I fully support responsible gun ownership. Sometimes you need to know you have a Plan B or C if a situation goes bad. My trusty WW II samurai sword is no match for a 6-fingered crack head (never take a knife to a gun fight!).

My wife is from South Jersey, and about 12 years ago after becoming widowed, had to rack up a 12 gauge round when a burglar was trying to climb into their window. He kept coming until she told him he was about to die! I never have to worry about that woman, especially when protecting her kids.

piebaldpython
November 9th, 2009, 09:28 AM
My wife is from South Jersey, and about 12 years ago after becoming widowed, had to rack up a 12 gauge round when a burglar was trying to climb into their window. He kept coming until she told him he was about to die! I never have to worry about that woman, especially when protecting her kids.

Hey Tig.....since you married a South Jersey girl, and you're a Texan......you must have some divided loyalties when the Cowboys play the IGGLES. :thwap Or at least some spirited convos while watching the game.

As to guns.....I'm not into the NRA per se but I do support responsible gun ownership. We have knives in the kitchen, a machete in the basement and I'm adept with bladed weopens. But...like you said..it's no match for a gun.

hubberjub
November 9th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Amen S&W. The family knows about it in the house and it is ready to use. The police could never get here fast enough. When my college age son comes home late he makes sure I know it is him at the door and waits for my reply. They have all had firearm training and hunters safety.

:what
I'm sorry M29, but that is the single scariest post I have ever read. I couldn't imagine having to make sure my parents knew it was me before entering their house. No offense, just stating my opinion.

Tig
November 9th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Hey Tig.....since you married a South Jersey girl, and you're a Texan......you must have some divided loyalties when the Cowboys play the IGGLES. :thwap Or at least some spirited convos while watching the game.

Nah, I really like the Eagles, and have never evarr liked the Dallas Plowboys!

Growing up, I loved the Bradshaw/Harris/Swann/Stallworth era Steelers, and they are still one of my favorite teams to watch. I'll watch a Texans game and back them since they are the home team, even though they are teh major sux sometimes.

Tig
November 9th, 2009, 10:13 AM
:what
I'm sorry M29, but that is the single scariest post I have ever read. I couldn't imagine having to make sure my parents knew it was me before entering their house. No offense, just stating my opinion.

Sounded to me like he was saying that the son knows better than to burst through the door unexpected.

hubberjub
November 9th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Sounded to me like he was saying that the son knows better than to burst through the door unexpected.

Like I said, it's just my opinion.

just strum
November 9th, 2009, 04:28 PM
No offense to anyone, I don't want this to get into a gun debate. Many times they become as volatile as religion and politics.

I respect both sides and feel it is an individual thing.

As for me, I was vetoed by the house vote, so will stick with the 22 rifle, motion detector, and three noisy dogs.

As for the activity that is taking place (it happened again last night), I think the kid across the street may be dealing. He's lived here since he was 5 years old and he was always trouble and prone to violence. I really don't give a rats behind if he screws his life up, but I don't want his friends to seek out things to sell for drug money (namely my guitars and amps), plus the more obvious danger to my family.

So getting back to the point of my post, please don't drag this out into a pro or against guns. Start a thread that is Gibson versus Fender and fight it out.:poke

just strum
November 9th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Oh, and one more thing.

Shiner - RUN!!!!!!

sumitomo
November 9th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Protection is good and all but I heard no one mention pepper spray,Some of this stuff has a good range 15 ft.+.I have some at home and at the office and don't just buy it and stick it away set some targets out and try it out.Sumi:D

just strum
November 9th, 2009, 04:45 PM
set some targets out and try it out.Sumi:D

"Now dear, it won't be painful, besides it's only a test"

Spudman
November 9th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Okay, if I was going to rob you for drug money I'd prefer it if you would keep a nice Gibson in your home to make it all worth while. Could you do that for me? Fenders suck! I'll be by at 2:20 just after the bars close and I have my courage up. Could you also tell my dealer friend across the street to start stocking X along with the meth I usually come by early in the morning for since I never sleep?

Of course I'm just jesting but isn't it sad to think that that is actually the life some people lead? If I were in your shoes Strummy I'd keep an eye on the place and if you see a steady steam of different cars coming by at all hours then call the detectives. They love tips on dealers. They'll watch the place for a while and figure it out for you and then you'll be able to sleep like a baby...unless of course the prostate gives you trouble.:eek:

just strum
November 9th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Okay, if I was going to rob you for drug money I'd prefer it if you would keep a nice Gibson in your home to make it all worth while. Could you do that for me? Fenders suck! I'll be by at 2:20 just after the bars close and I have my courage up. Could you also tell my dealer friend across the street to start stocking X along with the meth I usually come by early in the morning for since I never sleep?

You bring the two Canadian girls and the door will be unlocked and everything will be neatly packed just inside the front door.

...and if you see a steady steam of different cars coming by at all hours then call the detectives. They love tips on dealers. They'll watch the place for a while and figure it out for you and then you'll be able to sleep like a baby.

I'm thinking of stopping down at the police station and talking to someone.

luvmyshiner
November 9th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Shiner - RUN!!!!!!

OH CRAP! Not again.:thwap

I realize the family has already vetoed the gun idea, but I'll second what the guys said about a shot gun being the best home protection. CB keeps the 12 gauge under her side of the bed. You don't have to worry about aiming since the thing has like a three foot spread. It's quick and easy to use . . . once you get used to the kick.:messedup:

just strum
November 9th, 2009, 04:58 PM
OH CRAP! Not again.:thwap

I realize the family has already vetoed the gun idea, but I'll second what the guys said about a shot gun being the best home protection. CB keeps the 12 gauge under her side of the bed. You don't have to worry about aiming since the thing has like a three foot spread. It's quick and easy to use . . . once you get used to the kick.:messedup:

Boy, that paragraph is loaded with comebacks, but I don't want to get banned.

sumitomo
November 9th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Good thing I dont own a Gibson.The cops are LAZY,unless they can pull you right over and have it fall in their laps.They will show their presence and if their tweakers they will lay low,It's hard to sneek up on them suckers even when they use regular cars.I like to wire door knobs and window sills to 120v.Sumi:D

just strum
November 9th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I like to wire door knobs and window sills to 120v.Sumi:D

Now you are sounding like my son. He was thinking of doing something that could be harmful or fatal. I told him to Google the laws on that one and don't count on me visiting him.

peachhead
November 9th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I believe in having lights outside (my wife and I argue about that regularly), always have. Most people don't want to do stupid things while in the spotlight.
I also believe in guns in the house, but I also believe you have to be comfortable with them. If you don't feel good using it then it's not going to do you any good if you need it. Then again, I grew up with it so it's like second nature to me. I believe that the fact that I am often seen to be armed has been a deterrent of sorts over the years.
Strum, I think it would be a good thing to talk to the local police. Keep them informed of what's going on in your neighborhood. They just might start patrolling more often there and that would make a difference in your response time if it ever is needed again.

Not that I've ever done it but the electric window sill thing sounds pretty nifty... :D

piebaldpython
November 9th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Get that kid from the Home Alone movies to booby-trap your entire house and you'll sleep like a baby. :AOK

Cover your butt too. DOCUMENT everything that you do. Keep an accurate/detailed log of all that goes on with the "visitors" and also ALL phone calls to the police. Keep a log on police response times. Get the "visitors" on video too.......video with the date/time on it.

just strum
November 10th, 2009, 04:52 AM
...Keep them informed of what's going on in your neighborhood. They just might start patrolling more often there and that would make a difference in your response time if it ever is needed again.

the mayor lives on my street and the chief of police lives behind me, you would think they would be there before I could hang up the phone.

Maybe me having a sign for the other guy in last weeks election has something to do with it.

Brian Krashpad
November 10th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I'm lucky. Directly across the street from Casa Krashpad is a Gainesville PD officer, with a patrol car parked out front. Next door to him is a county sheriff's deputy, also with a marked car.

We've been known to leave our garage door up overnight.

There are advantages to not being well-off enough to not have cops living in your neighborhood.

;)

peachhead
November 10th, 2009, 09:09 PM
the mayor lives on my street and the chief of police lives behind me, you would think they would be there before I could hang up the phone.

Maybe they were looking for the mayor's house instead....

luvmyshiner
November 10th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I'm thinkin' you're right Peachhead. The mayor's GOTS to have more guitars.:dude

Algonquin
November 10th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Stummy , I'm from Canada... and I can honestly say this is your families safest / best line of home defense period!
bpj1zgyfScM
Available at all Canadian Tire and Home Depot retail outlets throughout the Great White North! :applause

M29
November 11th, 2009, 04:54 AM
David thats a good one. :rotflmao:

deeaa
November 11th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I CAN'T believe you guys. How can you live like that??? I could never live in a place I'd need to keep guns just to feel safe.

It would never ever dawn on me to call the cops if I saw a strange car like that. At best, I might go up to it and ask if they'd gotten lost or something.

Hell, even as I write this I think our garage door is wide open and I don't think I've locked the car either. Also the front door is open, actually a buddy just walked in an hour ago hollering if anyone was home.

I do have guns, but they're locked in the basement in their own room. And even if someone burglarized us or something, a gun would be the last thing I'd get. I'd try talking first and then if that wouldn't work, I'd call cops & lock away upstairs or something.

The only thing that's ever happened that made me think maybe sometimes it might be best to keep the door locked too...one night when I was away my wife and mother-in-law had been to sauna and were sitting in the living room in just towels and robes, and this strange drunken guy suddenly swerves in, holding onto walls to stay up, and sits down and growls at the women like where the hell he's come to and who the hell are you? etc...there is a prison 'halfway house' just a few hundred meters from here and a safe house for alcoholics nearby as well, so they thought he was from either of those. Well they escorted him out anyway.

Turned out he was an old friend of mine who happened to be back in the neighborhood drinking and had gone out to see if any of the old neighbors were still around. But my wife&mil couldn't know that, so naturally they were pissed when a six-foot drunkard jumps at them during a quiet evening ;-)

Some of you guys would probably have shot him for trespassing. He's our drummer now BTW.

As much as I enjoyed working in the U.S. and my time there, that kind of stuff is exactly what made my skin crawl now and then when I was there. Anything deviant from the usual business looked upon as potentially dangerous or suspect, even quite normal things like walking around roadsides after dark. Things like a while back the thing about Bob Dylan getting arrested because somebody thought he 'looked weird'. Incredible.

marnold
November 11th, 2009, 11:02 AM
deeaa,

It all depends on where you live, too. I live in small town Wisconsin, so many people here leave their homes/cars unlocked. When it gets cold out, you'll always see vehicles left running, unlocked, outside a store. I grew up in a town of ~50,000 (at the time). While I wouldn't have left my car or house unlocked, I never would have felt the need to pack heat. Of course, where my sister used to live in Milwaukee made me nervous. Might have been the drug deals going on in the middle of the road. Thankfully, they've moved to a different neighborhood.

just strum
November 11th, 2009, 04:48 PM
When I originally started this thread the biggest concern was the issue across the street. However, the bigger problem is my sleeping pattern or disorder.

A little over a month ago I started waking up at 2 - 2:30 AM EVERY DAY. With little exception I have had 3 to 4 hours sleep per day for over 30 days. It is now starting to catch up with me.

I wake up and things just start racing through my head. I am so ******* tired.

luvmyshiner
November 11th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I think I can help Strum. You're obviously not drinking enough.:beer:

Brian Krashpad
November 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I think I can help Strum. You're obviously not drinking enough.:beer:

I dunno, not a very good solution.

I drink like a mofo'in' fish-- have to get up at 4 a.m. to pee!

kiteman
November 11th, 2009, 05:38 PM
When I originally started this thread the biggest concern was the issue across the street. However, the bigger problem is my sleeping pattern or disorder.

A little over a month ago I started waking up at 2 - 2:30 AM EVERY DAY. With little exception I have had 3 to 4 hours sleep per day for over 30 days. It is now starting to catch up with me.

Sound like depression. I have it and even though I'm medicated I still have those spells. I still get my sleep but in shifts.

luvmyshiner
November 11th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I dunno, not a very good solution.

I drink like a mofo'in' fish-- have to get up at 4 a.m. to pee!

Hmmm, good point Brian. I usually just piss the bed and let CB worry about it.:help

peachhead
November 11th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Hmmm, good point Brian. I usually just piss the bed and let CB worry about it.:help

:eek: :messedup:

piebaldpython
November 11th, 2009, 08:29 PM

Dude.......what gives with the sleeping problem? Aren't you able to get back to sleep after you wake up?

Kiteman mentioned depression. My guess is STRESS.....in that something's on your mind and when you sleep, your mind is trying to deal with it and boom, you wake up.

Best of luck to you in getting this problem resolved.