PDA

View Full Version : Pick-up Troubles and Guitar Decisions...

phoenix_p0
November 8th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Hey all,

Just started modding guitars recently - stripped out my old Eko 100 series which was in pretty bad condition and re-did that.

Was fairly easy as I didn't do anything with the electrics - just looks / parts etc.

Now though, I'm looking to pick up an electric guitar and perform a fairly heavy duty mod on the thing. I'm looking at installing the Korg KP2 touch screen on the guitar.

Here are my issues - I have a fairly limited budget and so haven't picked out the guitar yet (counting on someone getting me the KP2 for Christmas...).

My ideal choice would be the Epiphone or Tokai Firebird - however this is fairly expensive, or alternatively the Danelectro DC59 or 56.

The Danelectro is in my price range, but the pick-ups are not what I'm after. They are the lipstick variety.

I guess in short:

Do i buy the Danelectro which is in my price range, but have a bigger job replacing the pick-ups (and what would this entail? Digging chunks out the guitar?), or spend a bit more on the Firebird?

oldguy
November 8th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Hi, and welcome to the forum. An introduction in the fret player's section is encouraged, the better to get to know you, what you like, and so forth.

If you are determined to do this modification (and hopefully, you'll change your mind), you definitely need to get some hands on experience before attempting it. "Digging chunks out" of a guitar is not quite how pickup replacement is accomplished.
You should probably buy the guitar with the pickups you prefer to start with.

phoenix_p0
November 8th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Heh, maybe making it sound a little brutal there I guess...

What I meant, was whether it's as simple as making the space bigger. Obviously not just going to town with a chisel, but rather with a router or similar.

I guess what I mean is, is there any problem with this - is there a wiring issue, or is it simply threading the wire from the new pick-ups through the existing channel - or are the pick-ups vastly different.

Also, what is the difference between a passive and non-passive (active?) pick-up?

Thanks.

tunghaichuan
November 8th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Also, what is the difference between a passive and non-passive (active?) pick-up?

With passive pickups, you can only cut or take away from the signal that is already there. That includes volume and tone

With active pickups you can boost/increase the signal or/or tone. There is amplification circuitry in a setup with active pickups.

markb
November 8th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Danelectros are made of a sheet of Masonite (hardboard for UK readers) over a softwood frame like an internal door. The main problem with taking tools to them is that the Masonite cracks quite easily.

A passive pickup just works off the string vibration with no power. An active pickup needs a power source to run its electronics.

phoenix_p0
November 8th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the tip on the Danelectros - didn't know that. I'll probably spend a little more (and save for longer ;-)) for the firebird then.

Does anyone know of any diagrams or online manuals for fitting new pick-ups into guitars?

(Haven't looked extensively myself yet - but I will!)

markb
November 8th, 2009, 02:00 PM
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

Just about any wiring scheme you can think of.

oldguy
November 8th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the tip on the Danelectros - didn't know that. I'll probably spend a little more (and save for longer ;-)) for the firebird then.

Does anyone know of any diagrams or online manuals for fitting new pick-ups into guitars?

(Haven't looked extensively myself yet - but I will!)

I think waiting and getting the firebird is a wise decision, however, I'd suggest really doing your homework before attempting to install the Korg KP2.
They have some known issues w/ the touchscreen. A lot of artists have gotten some cool sounds w/ them, tho.
Knowing what you're getting into will help the install go a lot smoother down the line, IMO.

phoenix_p0
November 8th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I've been doing a lot of research - I'm very keen not to mess this up!

Here (http://www.unmaintained.com/forums/thread/43.aspx) is where I'm going to be referring to. Plus a couple of friends who are pretty good with electronics and what not.

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement so far.