PDA

View Full Version : New Guitar Day! The Martin has Landed!

sunvalleylaw
November 9th, 2009, 11:54 AM
My 1996 Martin SPD-16TR that I shopped for in this thread http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=13243 arrived at 10:30 this morning! The shipping box looks to be in good order, and I spoke with the seller who recommends leaving it in the box a while to warm up. It is currently 25 degrees F here and the guitar has been on the truck. At least the humidity is a bit up today at 58%.

I plan to let the shipping box sit 1/2 hour, open the top and let some air into the shipping box to continue to warm another hour or so, take the case out and let it sit another hour or two, then crack the case and let it breathe another 1/2 hour or hour that way. Hopefully that will be enough time. That will take me nearly to the end of the day and of my last appointment.

I will also throw in at least one of my homemade humidifiers out of a sponge in a bag. I have a sound hole humidifier (oasis brand) coming, but this should work in the meantime.

Pics and review to follow in time. I may take a while before I spend too much time on the computer about it. :happy

Tig
November 9th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I plan to let the shipping box sit 1/2 hour, open the top and let some air into the shipping box to continue to warm another hour or so, take the case out and let it sit another hour or two, then crack the case and let it breathe another 1/2 hour or hour that way. Hopefully that will be enough time. That will take me nearly to the end of the day and of my last appointment.

Congratulations on your new, um, baby! :drool

Wow, that sure must be a bitter sweet torture to have it so close yet so far away over the next few hours. Worth every minute, I'll bet. :agree

evenkeel
November 9th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Wahoo!!! :happy Glad she has arrived safe and hopefully sound.

Good move re: opening the box, case, etc. up slowly. Patience will be rewarded. :AOK

Tone2TheBone
November 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Cool!

just strum
November 9th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hey, congrats, but remember you will return to the dark side.

luvmyshiner
November 9th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Congrats Steve! Can't wait to hear your review. (and don't listen to Strummy . . . the dark side is EVIL!)

sunvalleylaw
November 9th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Hey, congrats, but remember you will return to the dark side. LOL!! Thanks Strum, and Shiner, you know you go there, esp. now that CB has all that cool gear! I don't consider it the dark side, but I never left! See my new playing opps thread. Like any good Libra, I am balancing my electric with my unplugged side!! :AOK

sunvalleylaw
November 9th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Ok, after letting it warm up all day in the exercise of probable over caution, I took it out. Below are a couple unpacking shots. I will get a couple daylight shots up to show the detail, as these indoor flash photos do not do it justice. Bottom line, I love it. Sounds great, looks beautiful, plays beautifully. Just what I wanted, and has that Martin R/S dread sound.

My instructor Chip helped me check it over and he found it in good order, sound, and in excellent condition. The tortoise binding looks great, the abalone appointments look great, and the woods look amazing. I am quite happy with it! The neck with the unbound rosewood, slightly rolled on the edges is just what I wanted. Yes! :happy

Pics:

The guitar waiting in its case to be let out.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/P4300030.jpg

The unveiling.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/P4300031.jpg

And with packaging removed:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/P4300034.jpg

mrmudcat
November 10th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Oh my wish I had a good accoustic:crazyguy

Lev
November 10th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Congrats, great looking guitar, you'll probably have this for the rest of your life so it's always worth saving the extra money to get exactly what you want. :applause

wingsdad
November 10th, 2009, 08:30 AM
:applause Congrats. Steve...I know how much you wanted this baby...beyond words, really...

Ok, after letting it warm up all day in the exercise of probable over caution, I took it out. ...
As they say, " 'Tis better to err on the side of caution."

...Bottom line, I love it. Sounds great, looks beautiful, plays beautifully. Just what I wanted, and has that Martin R/S dread sound. ...
You're really fortunate to find this 'dream guitar' the way you did...Chip's a great guy to have had in your corner verifying things for you.

... The tortoise binding looks great, the abalone appointments look great, and the woods look amazing. I am quite happy with it! The neck with the unbound rosewood, slightly rolled on the edges is just what I wanted. Yes! :happy
It's OK to repeat yourself in this case ... :poke ... :AOK

From the looks of that case, your new love apparently wasn't hauled around much...well-cared for, babied...and I'm sure you'll do the same.

:dude

bigG
November 10th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Hearty congratulations, Steve! So glad to hear the wait was worth it! :applause

I'll second wingsdad's comment about the case. Those molded cases get marked up and dinged quite easily, and the lack of same was the first thing I noticed in your first pic. If the case was babied like that, it's a sure bet that beautiful Martin was too!

Outstanding! :happy

duhvoodooman
November 10th, 2009, 09:41 AM
SUH-WEET!!! Very nice pickup, Steve!! :AOK :dude :rockon:

sunvalleylaw
November 10th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks everyone! After getting tension on the strings last night, tuning, and playing some as I reported above (First song was a Neil Young song of course), the guitar held tune over night well so appears to be settling in fine so far. I wanted to take pics in the morning light coming in the window because it really lit up the detail in the rosewood on the back, the tortoise shell binding (cool amber highlights!), etc., but did not have time this morning. I will do so later. Yep, it seems a keeper, and a real good find. Other than light pickguard scratches, I could not find any real marks on it at all.

The sound reminds me a bit of Chip's 1967 D-21 I got to play at the acoustic jam the other day (see here for jam details: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=13479 ), but maybe with a hint of D-18 thrown in for balance. Nice warm bass, nice clear high end, much more clean sustain than my old acoustic. Man, I should take the rest of the day off and go play it all day. :drool

Regarding the case, I had kinda hoped for the Geib style case (wood rather than thermoplastic) but this one seems to hold the guitar very well and seems sturdy and travel worthy, though it is interesting to note your comments that they mark up a bit easily. I have my MF Vintage arch top case if I want to swap some day anyway. I may not considering how well this case holds the guitar. I have homemade humidifiers loaded, and a hygrometer and Oasis sound hole humidifier on the way.

And Chip was a good ally, as were the good folks here. Thanks all! This was worth selling all that other stuff, plus my powder skis, etc. etc., though I will have to get another wah someday. I hope you enjoy it Kazz! I will enjoy this Martin! :AOK :AOK

pes_laul
November 10th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Awesome dude, Looks great:happy

evenkeel
November 10th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Sounds like you've got a great guitar. Really pleased it all came together.
:AOK

I missed the thread re: your Sunday acoustic jam. Sounds very fun. I'm sure your new Martin will hold it's own with the rest of the "band".

luvmyshiner
November 10th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Sweet Steve! She's a real beaut!

street music
November 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Congrats Steve, that is very nice.

peachhead
November 10th, 2009, 04:43 PM
That's pretty sweet. Congrats Steve!

tot_Ou_tard
November 11th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Wow! I've been busy & missed this whole saga.

Congrats Sun!

I know you've been hankering for an acoustic like this for a long time.

sunvalleylaw
November 11th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks tOta!

tot_Ou_tard
November 11th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Thanks tOta!
If you get tired of it, just send it my way. ;)

sunvalleylaw
November 11th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Wow! I've been busy & missed this whole saga.

Congrats Sun!

I know you've been hankering for an acoustic like this for a long time.
LOL! Yeah you know I have had that hankering a long time. You have even posted stuff like this for me from way back when: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2788

Thanks! You're all right for an alien! :AOK :AOK

marnold
November 11th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks! You're all right for an alien! :AOK :AOK
So you are saying that would be My Favorite Martin?

sunvalleylaw
November 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM
yuk, yuk, yuk . . . . . (my best Ed McMahon written impression). LOL!

oldguy
November 11th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Remember..........
Martin, neck trap, harp, slow snowfall.
Play from the heart for the Great Spirit, let the music come to you, not the other way around.
Bliss. Harmony. Peace.:AOK :AOK :AOK

sunvalleylaw
November 11th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Ok, I will at least do slow snowfall and play from the heart for the Great Spirit for sure. I love the idea of that. I remember an early snowfall piece you did that gives inspiration, but I will let my own come. I have never blown harp before though. Well, there is a first time for everything! :AOK :AOK :AOK And happy birthday Glenn!

wingsdad
November 11th, 2009, 11:09 PM
... I have never blown harp before though. Well, there is a first time for everything! ...

Get yerself a G Blues Harp with a rack and you'll be doin' 'Heart Of Gold' in nuthin' flat...:cool: