PDA

View Full Version : 34 year-old Noob

Commodore 64
November 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM
So, yeah, 34 years old, geologist, married, 2 kids. I'm pretty new to playing guitar though, I don't have years of experience, more like months. Played bass for the first time on Saturday, as I went to a neighbor's house who is a blues musician (he doesn't play out anymore) and ended up struggling with some basslines while he and another guy traded licks on stuff like "Scratch My Back" by the Fabulous Thunderbirds. He sent me home with the CD.

So, now instead of Iron Maiden, I'm learning 12-bar blues, and some chord progressions. He said I need to learn to play with other people, have rhythm, rather than just strumming chords, learning licks/parts of solos. I can play common open chords

Gearwise, well, I have an assortment of stuff, and I don't really even know whether it's good, bad, or indifferent. One of my first goals,is to be good enough to actually have a valid opinion of my gear:...in an amp, in a guitar, whatever. I've managed to accumulate a pile of gear, some good, some bad, but nothing high-end.

Acoustics: Taylor 110, 1971 Yamaha Red Label.
Electrics: AXL SRO (with an S/D SH-4), Michael Kelly Patriot Q
Amps: Fender Stage 1000 (1x12, SS), Crate GX212 (2x12, SS), Drive 20w?, Jay Turser Classic 10.
Pedals: Boss Overdrive, Boss Metal Zone, Dime Wah
Other: $15 Microphone

I don't do anything with the pedals, really. Especially the Wah...I have a hard enough time with my right and left hands, let alone trying to use a foot too. I mainly play one of the acoustics or the MK, with the Fender amp. I just made a deal on Craig's List, however, and will be getting a Blackheart Little Giant Head tonight. Was tentatively planning to use the Crate 2x12 as a cabinet, since at 100w, it's way to much for a married father of 2 to noodle around with.

TLDR: 34 year old, geologist, married with 2 kids. Learning guitar, probably going to be playing blues since I have an opportunity to learn from a local retired blues musician.

Obligatory Gear pr0n:

MK Patriot; Craig's List, $200
http://www.lucky-cricket.com/files/MK_Patriot.jpg
AXL SRO (I didn't do the "custom" wood burning, heh); Yardsale, $10
http://www.lucky-cricket.com/files/AXL.jpg

Robert
November 9th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Welcome! You're in a good place now! :)

Gear is fun but it's what you do with it that counts. That MK guitar is a good deal and nice guitar. I have an MK Patriot Shadow myself.

FrankenFretter
November 9th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Welcome aboard, Commodore! My brother, NW Basser, is also a geologist, and one thing I've learned about geologists from hanging out with him and his geo-friends is...you guys can really drink! Just an observation, and I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions. Glad to have you here!

-Sean

Kodiak3D
November 9th, 2009, 03:49 PM
You're not alone! I'm 32 and just started a couple of years ago. It takes time, but it's worth it :AOK

I rather like the AXL. It was worth the $10 for sure (for the pickups if anything else).

sunvalleylaw
November 9th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Welcome! 34 is downright young! Your guitars look fun and interesting. Glad you joined us!

Eric
November 9th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Welcome! There are plenty of hacks on here like me, but also many people with tons of knowledge and experience that can help you along.

mrmudcat
November 10th, 2009, 12:16 AM
welcome

Commodore 64
November 10th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Thanks!

I managed to score a Blackheart Little Giant amp head last night from craig's list, brand new for $125. I still need to get an extension cabinet. In the short term, I'm going to wire a plug to the 2x12s in my Crate amp. I'm so excited to finally be entering tube land!

rugbynyc
November 10th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Welcome!! Good Luck!

Brian Krashpad
November 10th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Welcome!

That Duncan in the bridge slot of the Axl-- did you put that in or did the seller not know what they had?

bigG
November 10th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Welcome, Commodore! You're a young buck, man! At 59, I'm old enough to be your daddy! :thwap

Actually, my oldest son is 39, daughter 34 and son 24...

This is a great place w good people. I think you'll like it and learn alot!

And congrats on your first tube amp! Nice deal ya got there! :applause

Commodore 64
November 10th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Welcome!

That Duncan in the bridge slot of the Axl-- did you put that in or did the seller not know what they had?

It came like that. They said it didn't work. And it didn't...but I took off the pick guard and soldered a wire back on that had come loose...and it works like a charm now.

I like the sound of that PUP a lot; however, I like playing on my Michael Kelly guitar better. I have a friend that comes over once or twice a week to noodle around with me, and he really likes the AXL. Hell, I really like the AXL too...I set the intonation on it using a guide over at Ultimate Guitar. Too bad I can't play both guitars at the same time.

SuperSwede
November 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Welcome! I love those old 8-bit computers too :)

Tig
November 10th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I managed to score a Blackheart Little Giant amp head last night from craig's list, brand new for $125. I still need to get an extension cabinet. In the short term, I'm going to wire a plug to the 2x12s in my Crate amp. I'm so excited to finally be entering tube land!

Welcome to The Fret, C-64. I'm glad you didn't go with the Tandy TRS-80 handle (I'm showing my computer age now!). The Little Giant is a cool little amp, BTW, and I really like that MK Patriot.

// I'll bring this up since you say you are a noob...
Be sure to use speaker cable instead of instrument cable to connect that extension cabinet. If you already know better, then forget I mentioned it.

sunvalleylaw
November 10th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Welcome to The Fret, C-64. I'm glad you didn't go with the Tandy TRS-80 handle (I'm showing my computer age now!). The Little Giant is a cool little amp, BTW, and I really like that MK Patriot.

// I'll bring this up since you say you are a noob...
Be sure to use speaker cable instead of instrument cable to connect that extension cabinet. If you already know better, then forget I mentioned it.

I was thinking Commodore Pet (prolly the first PC I ever saw), or Apple II (I think the second) maybe. Ah, memories. :applause

tunghaichuan
November 10th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Welcome to the forum.

And welcome to the Blackheart club. :dude A few of us have them. I have a head and extension cab and the combo version. I think you'll be ver surprised how loud a 5W tube amp is in your home. I can only crank mine when SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) is gone. The Little Giant takes pedals well, too. :AOK

Tig
November 10th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I was thinking Commodore Pet (prolly the first PC I ever saw), or Apple II (I think the second) maybe. Ah, memories. :applause

Yep, I've got dusty computer memories as well. In the Fall of '81, there was a first generation IBM PC (8088 I think) in the high school math lab that we played some original flight simulator on. That was years before color monitors and hard drives.

The first system that I worked with at NASA (1985) was a ModComp minicomputer that took up 7 full sized cabinets yet had only 64K RAM. Yes, you read it right! It was used to record up to 256 channels of data for the Crew Systems Lab (we tested anything from space suits to the space potty!).
Here's a similar model: :eek:

http://www.dvq.com/oldcomp/photos2/1k/mc2.jpg

Rampant
November 11th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Greetings C-64

Welcome to the fret :)

duhvoodooman
November 11th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Welcome to The Fret, C-64. I think you'll like it here--players of all ages, skill & experience levels. :dude

oldguy
November 11th, 2009, 05:22 PM
WELCOME!
Glad you joined us here.
Post often and ask questions, we like that.
Nice intro also, nice to hear a little about you. :applause

just strum
November 11th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks!

I got one about 6 months ago and I took my Vox AD30VT, set it up to be used as a cab or as originally intended. I threw a rajun cajun in the Vox. I love that little Blackheart.

Hey Fretters, I found out while on Facebook that Commodore and I live close to each other and occasionally browse the same guitar shop.

http://www.woodsys.com/

The Ohio revolution will not be televised.

younger folks (and some older folks) may not get that.

marnold
November 11th, 2009, 07:14 PM
The Ohio revolution will not be televised.

younger folks (and some older folks) may not get that.
Oh dear. As a native Michigander, I know that nothing is worse than uppity Ohioans :)

Next thing you know, you'll be buying matching sweater vests.

oldguy
November 11th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Strum, you two might meet up at the same place sometime.
If you do, take some pics and post a "Fretter's jam session" thing.......or something......:happy

Commodore 64
November 12th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Well, I'm not much worth a dime for jamming yet. I'm fixin' to make a more detailed post regarding practicing and some of my frustrations and questions. I got all of Roberts Blues Backing Tracks last night, but I do have some trouble figuring out chord progressions.

What are common blues progressions? 1,3,5? 1, 4, 5? And if something is in Bm key, how do I figure out what the 1,3,5 chords are?

NWBasser
November 12th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Welcome from one geologist to another!

Unfortunately, I may have my license revoked since I haven't been keeping up on the requisite beer intake to maintain licensure.

The beer intake has been curtailed by a guitar purchase.. Notably, a new Epiphone Les Paul Standard. No pics just yet though.

I'm a bit of a hack at guitar, but this one sounds pretty sweet.

My recommendations for starting out are to play with others as much as possible and listen carefully to what other players are doing. Also, feel free to make mistakes. I've learned a whole lot from my mistakes!

And, yeah, play bass too! It's another world altogether and loads of fun.

Brian Krashpad
November 13th, 2009, 10:04 AM
It came like that. They said it didn't work. And it didn't...but I took off the pick guard and soldered a wire back on that had come loose...and it works like a charm now.

I like the sound of that PUP a lot; however, I like playing on my Michael Kelly guitar better. I have a friend that comes over once or twice a week to noodle around with me, and he really likes the AXL. Hell, I really like the AXL too...I set the intonation on it using a guide over at Ultimate Guitar. Too bad I can't play both guitars at the same time.

I have that same Duncan JB pickup in the bridge of my Fernandes Ravelle. They're great. Seeing as you got the guitar for a tenner, it was a mega-score, since the pickup itself sells for $70+!