PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone AJ vs. Dread

aloys
November 9th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Any thoughts on the difference between the two. I would like to spend $500 on a solid guitar and my favorites were the epi acoustic jumbo and the epi dread. What are the differences, who buys a jumbo, why buy a jumbo instead of a dread?>???

markb
November 9th, 2009, 10:26 PM
A little history first. The dreadnaught size was first produced by Martin for the Ditson company in 1919. HMS Dreadnaught was a British battleship in WWI and Martin liked the name for their largest guitar size. Martin branded Ds went into production around 1933. When Gibson introduced their answer to the big Martin in about 1934 they assumed the name dreadnaught was a trademark and called their shape "Advanced Jumbo". Gibson changed to a more Martin like square shouldered shape in the mid 60s. Early Martins had 12 fret necks and were longer and more rounded in the shoulders.

Personally I find Gibson AJs to be slightly more balanced and versatile than Martin Ds but it's close. Usually the Gibsons have a warmer midrange while the Martins are more "top and bottom" focused. This varies with the timber too but a mahogany J45 is usually warmer and rounder sounding than a mahogany D18. They also have quite a different response when you dig in with a pick. The Gibson growls while the Martin just gets louder. I'd try to play both and see which you prefer. There may not be much in it when it comes to Epiphones.

Most "mahogany" guitars these days use sapele akaa "african mahogany", a different timber from the classic Honduran type used in vintage guitars.

bigG
November 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I suppose the simple answer is: all else being equal (tone woods, scale length, frets clear of the body, string gauge...), the Jumbo will have more low-end rumble than the Dread, and may be a bit louder (more projection).

The Jumbo will also have a pinched waist compared to a Dread. Usually, they both have the same body-depth, but the Jumbo has a wider, "rounder" lower bout.

And, from your description, your looking at the MasterBilt series. Personally, I really like the off-set notch headstock on those.

Good luck in your decision!