PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Stratocaster 60th anniv. American Strat

Duff
November 10th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Does anyone own a 1996 American Standard Stratocaster 60th anniv. model?

I have a chance to get one and would like to know what you think.

This is the American version, not the Mexican version of the 60th aniversary model. Has a little round 60th metal badge on the headstock and possibly a neck plate w 60th.

There are two NOS ones I'm looking at and both sound great. One is shoreline gold with maple board and the other is candy apple red with rosewood board.

The pickups are awesome with tone control on all positions of the switch including the bridge and middle and no load switching as well. Both are brand new in perfect condition, unused. The price is 700 plus minus.

Any hands on feedback would be appreciated.

The pickups are hot and it has a two point trem. Just what I'm looking for and I want to keep it under 1000.

Maybe an American Standard Deluxe Strat used in mint condition could be had for 700. The one with the samarian cobalt noiseless pickups; but a totally different sound than these 60th aniv. ones.

Advice appreciated,

Duffy

markb
November 10th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Was there anything unusual about them apart from the little metal button? I have a Fender Europe "1994 Special Edition" strat' and the only things that separate it from the US Std of the day are the non standard finish, black pearl guard and an engraved neck plate.

I think Fender stuck those buttons on all guitars produced in its 60th year. This would nominally be 2006 but I've seen them on late 2005 and early 2007 guitars too. My late '05 American Ash tele' has one and its serial no suggests Nov 2005.

The 2006 Fender American Series (Fender weren't using the "Standard" designation at the time) guitars would all have had tone controls on all selections. The rear tone control does middle and bridge. The two point trem' has been standard on most US factory guitars except "vintage" models since about 1988.

That said, a nice strat' is a nice strat'. If they speak to you and fit your pocket go for it. I just wouldn't like you to think you're buying something investment grade when it's probably not.

hubberjub
November 10th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Are you sure they are 1996 and not 2006? I thought that was the 60th year anniversary. You can tell the year of modern American Fenders by the serial number. The first letter will either be an 'N' for Ninety or a 'Z' which means 2000. The number directly following that will be the last digit in the year. So if it says N2345678 it was built for the 1992 year. Either way, $700 is a great deal on a new (NOS) Fender American series. It's even a pretty decent used price. I'd pick up both of them if you have the opportunity. Play them both for a couple months and get rid of the one you like less. You could probably make a couple bucks on the deal. The American Standard series is pretty solid. I have a 1991 American Standard Strat that I bought used in 1996. It's a good guitar but I've just never bonded with it. My Telecaster has an 2006 60th Anniversary neck on it. I like it a lot more than my Strat. They are a solid guitar.

Duff
November 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM
You are correct. It is a 2006, my memory isn't what it once was. Beautiful shoreline gold with maple board is my preference but the candy apple red rosewood board one is nice as well. 700 approx, brand new at a highly reputable shop.