PDA

View Full Version : John Mayer - Battle Studies

FretOvaIt
November 12th, 2009, 10:44 AM
The full album has not yet been released(Battle Studies will be released November 17) However, what do you guys think of it judging from the 2 songs on it that have already been released?? I think the songs are great. "Who Says" is different and "Heartbreak Welfare" has some excellent lyrics and John's vocals are superb. Also judging from this interview I found with him talking about the album I think this album is going to be a bit different. He says that Battle Studies its definitely not as neat and perfect Continuum:

Nne4FgQmoDk

Anyone know if its streaming online before it's released? I want to hear more.

Tig
November 12th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I've only listened to "Who Says" so far. I'll give it 2 out of 5 stars. It isn't the kind of music I like from him. His more pop based music is OK, and much better quality than most on the radio lately. However, I feel his best stuff by far is his blues. Like Hendrix and SRV, that is where he excels. Watch him play live with people like Buddy Guy, and that's where we see and hear his soul really play. Who knows what the rest of the album will sound like...

I'm glad he branches out to many different sounds and styles. I gotta' admit that the guy is a serious genius, even though some here don't like him.

Spudman
November 12th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I'm sure I'll pick the album up but what I've discovered about Mayer albums is that they are growers. They take a while before I completely fall in love with them. The songs I've heard so far from the album are prime examples of that trend.

FretOvaIt
November 13th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Agreed.. I had to listen to Who says a few times before I decided i really liked it.. It was a grower

Popsi
November 16th, 2009, 01:43 PM
From what i have heard so far I don't think this album will surpass his last. I'm gonna check it out on tv tomorrow night. I keep seeing this commercial for the live concert on fuse tomorrow night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSL2d8spV-w

marnold
November 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I love his blues stuff and even his foray into a little R&B with "Waitin' on the World to Change." But I absolutely cannot stand his pop stuff. "Your Body is a Wonderland" and "Daughters" will have be diving for another preset on my car radio. I'll have to listen to some of these to see what direction he's in.

sunvalleylaw
November 16th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing it. If you watch some of the "Where the light is" DVD and listen to some of the more pop oriented stuff, especially the stuff he plays acoustically, it is pretty impressive. I like that he wants to take risks and re-invent himself. Neil Young did that, and not all attempts were hits, but he kept his interest over the years.

I certainly prefer the blues and R&B oriented stuff that features his guitar work, and I really love his Trio stuff. His mixing rhythm and lead techniques in the trio setting is probably what I like best. But I look forward to this anyhow.

Jipes
November 17th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I bought Continuum by curiosity after seeing a private show on video of Mayer with Jordan and Palladino. I was disappointed by the album ain't too much things interesting for me in it :nope He sings really good, plays with virtuosity and style but no "goose bumps" on my arms

FretOvaIt
November 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM
From what i have heard so far I don't think this album will surpass his last. I'm gonna check it out on tv tomorrow night. I keep seeing this commercial for the live concert on fuse tomorrow night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSL2d8spV-w

Awesome find. I'm definitely going to have to check this out tonight so i can see if I like his new songs before I go out and buy the album

bigG
November 18th, 2009, 03:18 AM
For all you John Mayer fans, here's the new CD in its entirety, for free, courtesy of our friends at aol.com 's Listening Party:

http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/1

Enjoy!

Tig
November 18th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Well, Mrs. Tig and I watched most of his live concert last night. I say "most", because we had to actually change to something else during some songs (not all songs) due to John's vocals being so pitchy. It was actually unbearable at times. We were wondering if Mayer might have been sick with a cold or something. My wife is a devoted Mayer fan, BTW.

I'm not bashing the performance for any reason other than the fact that is was just an off night, apparently. We've watched many of his live shows, and all sounded great, with the exception of this one. The timing and sync was off at times, and the backup singers were actually terrible on most of the songs.

We were sadly disappointed, hoping for better out of the much respected musician and his current band. The rhythm guitarist, bass player, and drummer sounded fine for the most part. Maybe they just needed a bit more rehearsal time, or maybe it was just one of those off nights.

Popsi
November 18th, 2009, 04:13 PM
For all you John Mayer fans, here's the new CD in its entirety, for free, courtesy of our friends at aol.com 's Listening Party:

http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/1

Enjoy!

Nice find. I still might go out and buy it tho.. I watched his concert on tv last night and his new songs were really good. might be worth owning for me

Lev
November 24th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I'm a little disappointed after my first couple of listens to the new album. It's very laid back and almost boring. The songs don't seem as strong as Continumn & there's not much to get excited about guitar wise. Maybe it'll grow on me, I want to like it coz I think he's an amazing talent.