PDA

View Full Version : "Made in Mexico" Squiers from the 90s

blingdogg
November 12th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Anyone have any info/experience with the Squiers that were made in Mexico during the 1990s? I heard these were close to, or the same as Fender Standard MIMs from that time. I'm asking about Squiers, not the black label Fender "Squier Series".

robzero
November 15th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I've got a gold logo Squier MIM from '97 and I love it. The neck is easily as nice as my '00 Fender Tele in craft and feel. Fret edges are smooth and clean, really nice chunk of finished rosewood (a lot of the current fingerboards look dried out and slivery). Body has a veneer over joined alder/poplar (from what I've read). My buddy was A/B comparing with his Texas Specials and the stock pickups (staggered poles) held their own really well, much to his dismay. Only weak spot is the tuners, which are the crappy diamond-case (with plastic keys) that are standard on low-end guitars. They hold pretty well for normal play and even some Gilmoresque bends, but I wouldn't count on them. And whammy dives are right out.
Of course I only paid $100 for it used, so I had no real expectations. But it's definitely one of my favourites.

Cheers.

Robert
November 15th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I have a 90s Squier made in Mexico, but I can't say it's very good at all. Sounds alright, but poor hardware and electronics.

blingdogg
November 17th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up ordering just the neck of a Mexican-made Squier Standard from 1998, instead of the whole guitar. I got the neck off of Ebay, and it's been shipped and on its way. Hopefully when it arrives it'll be good.

I'm not expecting too much from it, just decent playability for a project guitar for home use. If it's as good as yours, robzero, I'll be a happy man. (hopefully it won't be as bad as yours, Robert ;))

Robert
November 17th, 2009, 04:19 PM
The neck on mine is actually pretty good. Frets a bit thin for my taste but otherwise the neck is great. Tuners are complete piece of crap though.

blingdogg
November 17th, 2009, 04:42 PM
The neck on mine is actually pretty good. Frets a bit thin for my taste but otherwise the neck is great. Tuners are complete piece of crap though.That's good to hear. Playability's very important to me.

I already have some nice tuners from an old guitar to put on this neck, so the original ones won't be a problem. My other guitars all have medium/jumbo sized frets, so this one will take some getting used to.

Thanks for sharing your experience.