PDA

View Full Version : I think I finally understand

marnold
November 13th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I used to think that when people talked about finding a guitar that was "you" that it was all BS. After all, I didn't know who I was (as a guitar player), how could I identify which guitar was me? I got my Charvel mainly because I recognized the name and liked the pointy headstock and maple fretboard. In retrospect, those were pretty stupid reasons to get a guitar but even that was a part of "me." I loved the thin, flat neck of my Fender and all of its 24 frets. But I wished it had more than one pick up for tonal flexibility. My Floyd taught me mainly that I did indeed want a locking trem. I also learned that I hate pickguards. While I liked the sound of the Area 61s I had in it, I discovered that in my heart of hearts I'm a humbucker guy.

So my Jackson is really the bits that I liked from my previous guitars. This is the first instrument I've owned where I haven't given a second thought to modding anything. I added the fourth spring to the trem (because my Floyd taught me that I like that feel) and the trem stop mainly to aid in restringing. The only other thing I've added is strap locks, which I don't think technically counts as a mod.

I just really love playing this thing. Everything about it seems to be just right. I was messing around with the tone and volume knobs the other day and just was amazed at the different cool sounds I could get. I realize that a Jackson Dinky is not exactly everyone's idea of a dream guitar, but apparently it is mine. I couldn't possibly be happier. I don't regret trading the Floyd and Fender at all--other than the fact that I wish I would've yanked the pups out of the Floyd and put them in my son's '51 first.

Perhaps the most amazing part is that I have no guitar GAS at all. None. I'm perfectly thrilled and content with my Jackson and my Spector for when my inner bass player comes calling. Amph GAS, unfortunately, is an entirely different matter . . .

mrmudcat
November 13th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Mine has stayed under the bed,needing to play but closet queen for now. Wedged between 2x explorers

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1371/imgp0014y.jpg

sunvalleylaw
November 13th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Excellent Matt! I am glad for you! It is great to get on that really becomes yours like that.

jpfeifer
November 14th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Marnold,

That's great that this guitar connects with you.
I've always wanted to find that guitar like your Jackson that was "me", but I still haven't found it yet, although I've been close. I seem to like different guitars for different things, but no single guitar does it all.

There is one guitar that I suspect to be "the one" for me, but haven't been able to try one yet. It's probably a good thing, because it's too expensive for me to buy anyway. It's the Gibson JohnnyA model.

Have fun with the new Jackson guitar!

--Jim

Spudman
November 14th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I have that too Marnold. My problem is that it's with 10 different guitars. :thwap

I do totally get what you are saying. Sometimes I pick up "the one" and the world just seems right.

marnold
November 14th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I do totally get what you are saying. Sometimes I pick up "the one" and the world just seems right.
I know some people have said that you'll know it when you pick it up. I only partially knew it. I liked it in general, but naturally some idiot at GC had tried to put it in drop-D so the bridge was all out of whack. I could get a general taste of the pickups, but that was about it. I had to wait several weeks before I even knew if the bridge would stay in tune following a dive-bomb since one of their trained monkeys gave the whammy bar away. Thankfully it all turned out superbly in the end.