PDA

View Full Version : I want a new head

Robert
September 5th, 2006, 08:39 PM
I am happy with my 2x12 cab, but you know I need a head to go with it (smarter brain would be good too!) - what do you guys think, should I get the Valve JR? I don't know where to get it here in Canada. MF used to ship to Canada but they seem to have changed their mind on that one. I haven't seen a music store here with the head version, only combos.

Or I guess I could save up more and get some other cool amp head. Hmm... I think I'm just trying to keep the G.A.S under control (futile attempt, I know).

TS808
September 6th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Robert,
I don't know how high you want to go in terms of wattage and price, but the Peavey Classic 30 head might be a pretty cool purchase, or a used Line 6 Duoverb head(100 watts and screaming loud).

Both have excellent tones, and both take pedals very well. The only thing about the Duoverb though is how it will sound through different speakers other than Line 6. The Duoverb does have a master volume, so it can go pretty low without losing any tone.

Of course, there's always the AD100VT head too.

Robert
September 6th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Oh, I didn't know there was a Peavey Classic head, that might be cool.

Never heard of the Duoverb, but I am scared of Line 6 amps.

I want low a wattage tube amp head. Below 30 watts if possible.

Tone2TheBone
September 6th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Classic head...30 watts of face smiling tone. Tweed lookin' too. Your cabinet will be grateful.

Robert
September 6th, 2006, 04:34 PM
I called Avenue Guitars in Edmonton and they do carry the Valve Jr head. Of course, they were sold out... but they have more coming in, so I'm getting myself one of these! Some time. Soon. Hopefully.

TS808
September 6th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Classic head...30 watts of face smiling tone. Tweed lookin' too. Your cabinet will be grateful.

Agreed. If I were getting a head right now, the Classic 30 would definitely be the top choice. Did you see too that Peavey is going to release those in Black Tolex too? The Classic series will have an option where you can get them in Black tolex with a silver grille cloth. Sort of Fenderish, but kind of cool. They debuted at Summer NAMM.

TS808
September 6th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Never heard of the Duoverb, but I am scared of Line 6 amps.

The Duoverb was discontinued, and that's a shame. It was a no frills modeler.
No built in effects, and probably their best sounding amp other than the Vetta.
It didn't take off very well primarily because it didn't have all the bells and whistles of the other Line 6 amps. It was pretty cool, you could combine two models of amps at once (like you can on the Vetta) and split them in stereo.

If the Duoverb wasn't so darn loud, I would still have mine, but it was just too much amp for the house. If I were gigging, it would have been perfect. The amp models sounded excellent.

Katastrophe
September 6th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Robert, I don't think you will be disappointed with the VJ head. I played on the combo a little while back, and was floored at how good the amph sounded! Epi did something right with these amphs, and at a fair price, too, IMHO.

abraxas
September 7th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Robert, what kind of amp are you looking for? Also, what is the price limit you are going for? (there is always a price limit, unfortunately...)

Robert
September 7th, 2006, 11:36 AM
abraxas, I'm looking for a good sound EL34 or EL84 amp. Something more Marshally sounding than Fender sounding. Price limit? Well, maybe $600-$700, not sure. I can wait and save if it's good one.

The Valve JR seems too cool to ignore though.

Cranium
September 7th, 2006, 01:01 PM
There is always the Peavey Windsor and the Valveking heads but those are both over 100w :( . Ofcourse there is the Epi So Cal 50/25w head and ofcourse the Crate V30H 30w head packing four el84's and three 12ax7 tubes, but I can't say how good Crates are, the VJ seems like the best choise for $100 and it will probably sound better then the combo with better speakers plus the 4/8/16 ohm outputs.

Tone2TheBone
September 7th, 2006, 03:21 PM
As good as oldguy's VJ head sounded with his Avatar cab I'd snag one of those and still get another head if I were you.

Spudman
September 7th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Hey Robert

Have you looked into the Sovtek MIG amp heads? They are a small foot print all tube 50 watt head. I've seen them and heard good things about them. I don't know if they are in production any more though.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Sovtek/Mig+50/10/1

Robert
September 7th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Never even seen one of those Spud. Cool, thanks for the tip.

TS808
September 7th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Hey Robert

Have you looked into the Sovtek MIG amp heads? They are a small foot print all tube 50 watt head. I've seen them and heard good things about them. I don't know if they are in production any more though.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Sovtek/Mig+50/10/1

Yes, the Sovteks are out of production.

Robert....I'm still recommending the Peavey Classic 30 Head :D

TS808
September 7th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I am happy with my 2x12 cab, but you know I need a head to go with it (smarter brain would be good too!) - what do you guys think, should I get the Valve JR? I don't know where to get it here in Canada. MF used to ship to Canada but they seem to have changed their mind on that one. I haven't seen a music store here with the head version, only combos.

Or I guess I could save up more and get some other cool amp head. Hmm... I think I'm just trying to keep the G.A.S under control (futile attempt, I know).

Robert,

Since your AD50VT sounds good with your cab, have you thought about getting either an AD100VT head or an AD120VTX head?? The AD100VT head sounds very good and I almost bought that instead of the combo. Can't beat the price on it either.

Another thought...if anyone still has them how about the AD60VTX head? I think they were discontinued, but someone may still have a few in stock.