PDA

View Full Version : So how long has your iPod lasted?

Tone2TheBone
November 16th, 2009, 09:27 AM
My daughter's finally took a dump. Battery is out. Mine is doing the same thing her's did before it stopped working altogether. Both are about 4.5 years old. I'd heard they don't last forever but oh well. How long have you had yours?

Robert
November 16th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I've had mine about a year. It's the iPod classic. It goes nuts sometimes when I run with it, starts skipping and acting up, but otherwise it works great.

marnold
November 16th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Aren't the batteries user-replaceable?

Rampant
November 16th, 2009, 10:49 AM
First iPod video 60GB gave up after 13 months. I was fortunate to recieve a recon with 1 month warranty as a goodwill gesture as the warranty had only just run out. The recon has been going for about 2 years.

When the 60GB went t1ts-up I bought a relacement iPod video 80 GB. So also about 2 years.

Maybe, just maybe, apple will at some point release an iPhone with an appropriate and decent storage capacity so that I can actually do what they invisaged with their product - convergence. At the moment I can't combine my phone and iPod into an iPhone because my music library alone is over 45GB large.

So when the gratuitous profiteering has reduced a little I might be changing my phone. I know people who have paid a great deal of money on keeping "up-to-date" with 3 iPhones. Idiots!

Popsi
November 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I find they always last until the warranty is over then they just stop working.

FrankenFretter
November 16th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I've had my 40 gig iPod video for close to 5 years now, I think. The only serious trouble I ever ran into was when I tried to defrag the HD. Not a good idea, apparently. I had to do a master reset, then everything was fine. There's a few hiccups now and then, but really not much at all. It gets pretty regular use too, as the main source of music for my car. I wonder if you could revive the battery by running it down all the way, then charging it and repeating several times? I know they're supposed to be no-memory batteries, but that still seems to work with cell phones.

Tig
November 16th, 2009, 04:20 PM
My lil' 2GB 1st generation Nano is still working after 4+ years of weekly rides and sweat. I sure need a newer, bigger one, 'cause I'm tired of constantly removing songs top make room for new ones. 16 Gig aught to do it.

sunvalleylaw
November 16th, 2009, 05:35 PM
My first one, a brick style photo, white with the click wheel, lasted over 5 years I think. It just finally died recently. My iPhone is serving as its replacement, though I would like to get a larger capacity old school iPod at some point to hold just about my entire music collection for roadtrips and the like.

just strum
November 16th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I must be real old school, I never owned one or used one.

markb
November 16th, 2009, 05:57 PM
F2Um4fH7rMk

Depending on use, no Li-ion battery pack is going to last more than 5 years ime. 3 years is about average.

Eric
November 16th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I must be real old school, I never owned one or used one.

Neither have I. I feel so out of it.

marnold
November 16th, 2009, 06:37 PM
My Palm TX and Pocket Tunes == my MP3 player. If I'm in my car I've got an in-dash player.

deeaa
November 16th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I have an old 40G model, generation 3 I think? It's battery died a few years ago already. I don't know its age but at least 4-5 years I think. I replaced the battery as well but it didn't work too well...it won't hold the charge properly. If I charge it fully, it'll last an hour tops, and sometimes it dies even if it's in the charger.

But, I keep in in the car, charging all the time, and it works well as a car audio source.

I also have a 120G which is barely a year old and naturally still strong battery etc.

Overall, I guess today most any piece of equipment won't last longer than three to five years. My first digital cam is roughly five and on its last legs, had to buy another already. And the DV cam is 4,5 years and hiccups quite regularly but still more or less works (been to maintenance once already) but it looks like any day it's time for a new video camera as well.

Jipes
November 17th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Mine is an iPod touch and still OK after 2 years :cool:

red
November 17th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Both are about 4.5 years old. I'd heard they don't last forever but oh well. How long have you had yours?
Had mine (a pack-of-gum-style iPod Shuffle) since 2004 (maybe 2005?). Still works. The battery in it is not even replaceable, so if that dies I have to throw it away and buy a new one.

But they're pretty cheap and will give you the least ammount of trouble for the simple reason that they have the least ammount of features. They have no LCD, and they use a compact flash type storage device instead of a mini-HDD like the "regular" ones use. I really feel they're the most practical ones, albeit not the fanciest.

sumitomo
November 17th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I have a 3yr old nano,got it to use on those 13 hr flights and the wait in airports,but I use it all the time now,there is even a place to plug it in on my yamaha silent to jam along with.Sumi:D