PDA

View Full Version : New Guitar Day! (I am a bad person content)

Brian Krashpad
November 16th, 2009, 01:02 PM
OK, so there was a Stratacoustic in a local pawn, really cruddy strings, marked down to $99. As pretty much everyone knows, being shallowbodies, their acoustic tone is pretty awful, people buy them to plug in (something I've heard about a lot of Ovations as well, although I know they also make many models with good acoustic tone).

At any rate, I was considering it because I have an opportunity to get an actual paying gig at a local chapel/student center, with emphasis on acoustic guitar. It would just be a little stipend (I'd better not characterize it as "beer money" or I'd really be a bad person), doing the same thing I already do as a volunteer at my own church. More than anything else, it'd be a chance to work on my acoustic chops, and a chance to play with a new set of musicians, as well as to see how a different denomination worships.

Only thing is, I don't have an acoustic-electric. The only 6-string acoustic I have is a no-name MIJ my dad bought in Japan in the '70's that is quite tinny. I could mic it, but I doubt the results would be very satisfactory.

Thus, I was considering the Stratacoustic.

Some bonus money came in, so I decided to pick it up, so at least I would have something to play with, if I should get this church thing. But since I hadn't been shopping elsewhere, I stopped at a couple other pawns before getting to the shop with the Stratacoustic.

At one of the other pawns, I found a regular-sized body cheapo MIC cutaway acoustic-electric for $100. It's tone was much nicer acoustically, and it's intonation was spot-on. The Fender's had been iffy.

So I bought the MIC cheapo acoustic. Checking the web, the specs are:

Cutaway acoustic/electric steel string guitar with spruce top, Linden wood sides and back, maple neck plus rosewood fingerboard.

Built-in pre-amp with 3-band equalization, volume control, and 1/4" output jack.

So why, you are asking, does this make me a bad person? After all, I bought the guitar to play in church.

Well, here is the guitar:

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/4010/aeesteban.jpg

:facepalm:

It did not come with the instructional videos, chord chart poster, or gigbag. ;)

You may all now ridicule me no end.

Commodore 64
November 16th, 2009, 01:05 PM
um...I don't get it?

Brian Krashpad
November 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM
um...I don't get it?

It's an Esteban. They sell them on Home Shopping Network, and/or QVC cable television channels. The guy who sells them is a borderline charlatan, who fudges his personal history as well as the worth of the guitars.

Commodore 64
November 16th, 2009, 01:15 PM
So how does that make you a bad person? If the guitar works well?

Brian Krashpad
November 16th, 2009, 01:21 PM
So how does that make you a bad person? If the guitar works well?

Oh it really doesn't. I'm just having some fun at my own expense.

Btw, this thread should not be taken as an insult to anyone else who bought an Esteban.

FrankenFretter
November 16th, 2009, 01:27 PM
That rings a bell; didn't Metalocalypse make fun of Estaban guitars, or at least the guy that promotes them? Maybe it wasn't Metalocalypse, but I swear I've seen that guy spoofed somewhere.

Brian Krashpad
November 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
That rings a bell; didn't Metalocalypse make fun of Estaban guitars, or at least the guy that promotes them? Maybe it wasn't Metalocalypse, but I swear I've seen that guy spoofed somewhere.

I believe that's correct. The seller Esteban dresses like Zorro and pretends to be a protege of Segovia and such.

I couldn't resist the kitsch factor.

FrankenFretter
November 16th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I believe that's correct. The seller Esteban dresses like Zorro and pretends to be a protege of Segovia and such.

I couldn't resist the kitsch factor.

Well, I think that's awesome. I hope it came with all those fantastic DVDs as well. That's even better than a Hannah Montana guitar. Sweet!

marnold
November 16th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Considering the fact that it has already been well established that you never met a guitar that you wouldn't buy for a deal, I'm completely unsurprised. Once you've gone Hello Kitty and Daisy Rock, nothing else can faze me. And hey, if it's cheap and it works, who am I to argue?

Does it say "Esteban" on the headstock?

Back when I got my Model 7, I was thisclose to getting a Stratacoustic. I'm not sure if it's the same kind you tried. This was one of the first to get to the stores. It played almost as well as an electric and it sounded glorious amplified (through a very expensive acoustic amph). The acoustic tone was quite dull, but not as horrific as some had claimed. I played it in the shop for a long time before tearing myself away.

duhvoodooman
November 16th, 2009, 02:27 PM
All you need now is one of those cheesy bolero hats....:poke ;)

Brian Krashpad
November 16th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Well, I think that's awesome. I hope it came with all those fantastic DVDs as well. That's even better than a Hannah Montana guitar. Sweet!

Alas, no accessories. :thwap

I shall however haunt the globe looking to collect them all!

After all, it's a collector's item! There are only 14,999 of these out there besides mine! Not counting the ones that have imploded or burst into flames and such.

Brian Krashpad
November 16th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Considering the fact that it has already been well established that you never met a guitar that you wouldn't buy for a deal, I'm completely unsurprised. Once you've gone Hello Kitty and Daisy Rock, nothing else can faze me. And hey, if it's cheap and it works, who am I to argue?

Does it say "Esteban" on the headstock?

Back when I got my Model 7, I was thisclose to getting a Stratacoustic. I'm not sure if it's the same kind you tried. This was one of the first to get to the stores. It played almost as well as an electric and it sounded glorious amplified (through a very expensive acoustic amph). The acoustic tone was quite dull, but not as horrific as some had claimed. I played it in the shop for a long time before tearing myself away.

Haha, I've owned TWO Daisies (sold one), but haven't owned a Hello Kitty.

It does indeed have Esteban's signature on the headstock, which fortunately is not very legible. ;)

Brian Krashpad
November 16th, 2009, 03:23 PM
All you need now is one of those cheesy bolero hats....:poke ;)

And shades baby! :cool:

evenkeel
November 16th, 2009, 03:31 PM
YIKES!!! :what

OK the no go on the Stratacoustic was a good decision. Terrible guitars amped up or otherwise. As to the, can't bring myself to type the words....

Hey, if it works for you and sounds good .

Brian Krashpad
November 16th, 2009, 04:01 PM
YIKES!!! :what

OK the no go on the Stratacoustic was a good decision. Terrible guitars amped up or otherwise. As to the, can't bring myself to type the words....

Hey, if it works for you and sounds good .

Well, they have cheap Rondo Music SX steel-stringed acoustic-electrics for like $80, plus shipping, which would probably get me near $100 anyhow, and the SX only has vol and tone controls, and no cutaway. So I got a cutaway with a 3-band EQ for about the same as an SX with no cutaway and single tone control.

And a picture of Esteban, baby!

Hey, it was cheap. It was here. If it lasts for 4 months (the probably length of this gig), it'll have paid for itself after the first month. It does actually sound and play way better than the only 6-string acoustic I have, which is the one I learned on

The funny thing is, it's not bad. It does play better and has a nicer tone than my 6-string no-name MIJ acoustic that I learned on, and better acoustic tone than the Stratacoustic I was thinking of buying.

You can tell it's a MIC cheapie, there are some minor finish flaws that would've never gotten past a really decent QC department, but for having been constructed from cardboard and spit by 11-year-old girls chained to CNC machines, I can't complain. All the sliders (vol, high, mids, bass) work with no noise, the action is acceptable for an acoustic (I can do proper barre chords without muffled notes), and the intonation is actually quite good. And a person called Qeng personally checked out the electronics in it, because he or she left a sticker with their name on it on the controls plate. The plastic is still on the scratchplate, and there are some minor scuffs and playwear, but nothing real bad to speak of.

I tuned it to another guitar (whatever was laying about) when I got back to the office a few hours ago, and have picked it up and played it for a few minutes every now and again, and the tuners are not slipping. At least the tuners have pegs with screw heads so you can tighten them if they do slip, but I usually only tighten those if there's a problem. I have not noticed any binding with the nut at all.

street music
November 16th, 2009, 04:26 PM
BRIANTHEBAN, kind of has a nice ring to it.:what :happy
Just kiddin, hey if it makes the noise you need and is easy to play, as they are advertised practically no talent required. Have fun with it and then buy you a good acoustic electric, I finally made a move up in quality in August and have no regrets with my latest Takamine.

luvmyshiner
November 16th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Brian, Brian, Brian.:thwap While I don't normally agree with the whole fake guitar thing, maybe you can scrape off the "Esteban" and put a "First Act" sticker on it.:poke

sunvalleylaw
November 16th, 2009, 05:30 PM
BRIANTHEBAN, kind of has a nice ring to it.:what :happy

or Krashteban? :help :applause :crazyguy Hey, I truly admire your "if it works, it works" attitude. What the hey, anyhow. I think it would be kinda fun to rock a hello kitty guitar, wearing some Chuck Taylors or checked vans. Power chord/power pop/punk. A HM guitar would be harder I think. She is a non playing vocalist, so she must fit that LSD profile you mentioned on the other thread. :bootyshake

just strum
November 16th, 2009, 05:34 PM
It would have been nice if it included the hat.

Looking forward to the follow-up post giving a review of the guitar. I don't recall ever reading a review of a Estaban.

Brian Krashpad
November 16th, 2009, 05:50 PM
It would have been nice if it included the hat.

Looking forward to the follow-up post giving a review of the guitar. I don't recall ever reading a review of a Estaban.

See post #15 above for a sorta first-impression review.

After a board meeting this evening I handed it to the lead singer in one of the side bands I'm in, Hoyt, of Hoyt and the Hotheads (one of my work partners), and let him play it for a couple minutes. He smiled and said it did indeed seem to play OK. He has batches of decent acoustic-electrics (I know for sure he's got some nice old Ovations), and used to do the open-mic circuit for a couple years (before he decided to go full-band), and if he thought it was terrible he would tell me.

So at least I know I haven't deluded myself into thinking it's OK because it was cheap. I know it's a cheap guitar, but it looks like it should be acceptable for getting back into playing more acoustic, so long as it holds up. I would think and hope a church gig wouldn't be too strenuous a workout.

marnold
November 16th, 2009, 06:39 PM
or Krashteban? :help :applause :crazyguy
Krashteban it is from henceforth. So it has been written; so it shall be done.

Spudman
November 16th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hey Krash

I just told the guys over at TGP that you have an Estaban. That thread should fill up pretty fast don't you think?

Brian Krashpad
November 16th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Hey Krash

I just told the guys over at TGP that you have an Estaban. That thread should fill up pretty fast don't you think?

Haha, works for me!

:AOK

Brian Krashpad
November 16th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Krashteban it is from henceforth. So it has been written; so it shall be done.

Haha, bless you, Reverend.

(Makes sign of the cross-- which many Lutherans seem to have a major problem with-- despite that it's right there in the Catechism.)

luvmyshiner
November 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Ok, it's an Estaban. Put some decent tuners on it so it will hold tune, put a bone saddle on it, and you've probably got a decent guit for playing out on the beach.

BUT, you still have to admit to your friends that you slept with the fat girl, and I don't think I can help you there Krash.:crazyguy

just strum
November 17th, 2009, 06:00 AM
When the new stock comes in you'll be set for touring or infomercials.

http://media.hsn.com/esteban-signature-hat-with-monogrammed-hat-box_p-3327845_xp.aspx

Brian Krashpad
November 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Ok, it's an Estaban. Put some decent tuners on it so it will hold tune, put a bone saddle on it, and you've probably got a decent guit for playing out on the beach.

Actually the tuners are holding fine over the first 24 hours. Why would I need a bone saddle?

BUT, you still have to admit to your friends that you slept with the fat girl, and I don't think I can help you there Krash.:crazyguy

:confused:

I've slept with ALL the girls!

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9067/axes04casakrashpad.jpg

What's your point?

:poke

:D

oldguy
November 17th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Esteban (aka Stephen Paul) has a new model being unveiled.
This guy's gonna be a major player in the market........and soon!:what

" Esteban Camaro Guitar ":happy
"This truly amazing guitar is a product of collaboration with General Motors (GM) and Esteban. Designed by the very same people that unveiled the new, ultra-modern 2009 Camaro, this guitar conveys the very essence of the raw beauty of the GM classic, and plays beautifully. The back of the guitar proudly displays the GM designers rendition of the incredible 2009 Camaro. If you, or someone you know, loves guitars - this guitar is a remarkable instrument. Guitar top: spruce. Sides and back: linden wood. Neck:maple wood. Fingerboard: rosewood. Case exterior black, interior golden-brown. Nylon strings. INCLUDES - 10-watt amplifier output with approx. 10' cord. Measures approx. 12"L x 9"W . 6"H. (10) Esteban Camaro Limited Edition Classical Guitar Instructional DVDs, over 220 hours of comprehensive one-on-one training that you can absorb at your own pace. Certificate of Authenticity with Camaro artwork. Nylon hard-sided case. Custom guitar strap. Guitar case strap. Chord chart poster. Polishing cloth. (6) picks. (6) extra strings. NOTE: This package does not include an amp. An additional amp can be purchased for $40.":AOK

:D :D :D

Brian Krashpad
November 17th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Esteban (aka Stephen Paul) has a new model being unveiled.
This guy's gonna be a major player in the market........and soon!:what

" Esteban Camaro Guitar ":happy
"This truly amazing guitar is a product of collaboration with General Motors (GM) and Esteban. Designed by the very same people that unveiled the new, ultra-modern 2009 Camaro, this guitar conveys the very essence of the raw beauty of the GM classic, and plays beautifully. The back of the guitar proudly displays the GM designers rendition of the incredible 2009 Camaro. If you, or someone you know, loves guitars - this guitar is a remarkable instrument. Guitar top: spruce. Sides and back: linden wood. Neck:maple wood. Fingerboard: rosewood. Case exterior black, interior golden-brown. Nylon strings. INCLUDES - 10-watt amplifier output with approx. 10' cord. Measures approx. 12"L x 9"W . 6"H. (10) Esteban Camaro Limited Edition Classical Guitar Instructional DVDs, over 220 hours of comprehensive one-on-one training that you can absorb at your own pace. Certificate of Authenticity with Camaro artwork. Nylon hard-sided case. Custom guitar strap. Guitar case strap. Chord chart poster. Polishing cloth. (6) picks. (6) extra strings. NOTE: This package does not include an amp. An additional amp can be purchased for $40.":AOK

:D :D :D

Nothing says "class" like a Chinese-made acoustic-electric classical guitar that's red with black racing stripes!

oldguy
November 17th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Nothing says "class" like a Chinese-made acoustic-electric classical guitar that's red with black racing stripes!

Well, I guess we can't blame that on/give credit to him, tho...........it was the unveiler/designer people's fault the way I read it.

"Designed by the very same people that unveiled the new, ultra-modern 2009 Camaro, this guitar conveys the very essence of the raw beauty of the GM classic, and plays beautifully."

(so the very same people who unveiled the '09 Camaro designed this guitar....wow, I missed the unveiling, I wonder who they are?)

msteeln
November 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I swear I've seen that guy spoofed somewhere.Actually, he doesn't have a problem spoofing himself, so you may have see that.
There have certainly been worse than him. And who knows how many musicians he has spawned while easily paying the rent?

Krashteban = :AOK

Tone2TheBone
November 17th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Ummm good luck keeping it in tune Brian. LOL ;)

luvmyshiner
November 17th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Why would I need a bone saddle?

Believe it or not, a bone saddle on an acoustic, in my opinion, is the single most cost effective upgrade you can make. Even on a cheap laminate the difference in sound is amazing. Something about the way it transfers the vibrations of the strings to the guitar top.

markb
November 17th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Have you got your hat with a ponytail attached yet, Brian?

You may enjoy the Esteban world tour.

http://estebanworldtour.blogspot.com/

Brian Krashpad
November 18th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Ummm good luck keeping it in tune Brian. LOL ;)

We're on day 2 and it's still in tune. Have made only the most minor of tweaks.

Should not be a problem.

Brian Krashpad
November 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Ooh, I took a pic, here, look quick before it dissolves into dust!

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/197/esteban.jpg