PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Boss chorus and chorus ensemble?

birv2
November 17th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I don't use chorus much but figure I will find uses for it. I currently have a Dano Cool Cat Chorus (old version), but I'm looking at a one of the Boss's. Specifically looking at at CE-3 and a CE-5. The CE-5 is called a chorus ensemble. Why?

I like the smaller footprint of the boss pedals and am trying to conserve space without sacrificing tone. Oh, and I'm also looking at the Digitech Chorus Factory.

Any suggestions?

markb
November 17th, 2009, 06:09 PM
The chorus effect was invented by Roland/Boss. All the CE models are known as "Chorus Ensemble" even if they don't spell it out. The CE-5 got the name on it because they introduced the CH-1 "Classic Chorus" at the same time.

Any Boss CE-x will get you that original Boss tone. The CE-1 is the original mains powered Chorus/Vibrato box, expensive and bulky. The CE-2 is great but getting expensive (buy a Taiwanese one, there's really no difference), the CE-3 has stereo outputs and a mode switch a la JC-120, the CE-5 adds tone controls.

birv2
November 17th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Mark.

So is there any good reason to choose the 2 vs the 3 vs the 5?

For someone who just wants something to set and forget when the time comes, what would you recommend?

markb
November 17th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Mark.

So is there any good reason to choose the 2 vs the 3 vs the 5?

For someone who just wants something to set and forget when the time comes, what would you recommend?

I've had 3 CE-2s and a CE-3 over the years and I've got more or less the same sound out of all of them. I've never used a CE-5 but have no doubt it'll do the same job. I'd buy a Boss but choose on what's available and price to be honest if I wanted a chorus.

sunvalleylaw
November 17th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I like my CE-5 I got used. I like having tone knobs. I have not used the others. I do not use a chorus in the blues or blues oriented playing Birv, but I enjoy it when I am playing around with 90s era rock/pop/grunge, and sometimes just for fun. My DS-1 combined with my CE-5 makes some good Nirvanaesque noise.