PDA

View Full Version : What are the amps being modeled on a modeling amp?

Retro Hound
November 17th, 2009, 08:26 PM
OK, I have another question. What are the amps being modeled on the Vox VT30, Fender G-DEC, Peavey Vypyer, and any other amps you can think of. This is probably a no-brainer for those of you familiar with a thousand different amps. I've been able to discover one description.

I found this for the Roland Cube30x:

Amps:
Clean: Based on Roland JC-120 jazz chorus
Acoustic: Based on Boss acoustic simulator
Black Panel: Based on Fender Twin Reverb
Brit Combo: Based on Vox AC-30TB
Tweed: Based on Fender Tweed Bassman
Classic stack: Based on Marshall JMP1987
Metal: Based on Peavey EVH-5159
R-fier: Based on MESA/boogie rectifier
Dyna amp: An original amp sound by Roland that responds to picking dynamics

Thanks a bunch.

duhvoodooman
November 17th, 2009, 08:58 PM
The ones that seem to almost always be present are a Fender Tweed (usually a Bassman or a Deluxe), Fender Blackface (usually a Twin Reverb), a Vox AC30TB, a couple of Marshalls (usually a Plexi and something more recent), and a Mesa Boogie Rectifier model of some kind. Beyond that, they vary....

markb
November 17th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Download the manuals. They usually say unless they have to be coy for trademark infringement reasons or something.

The Vox VTs have an amazing list including three tweeds, four or five each of Voxes and Marshalls and even a Trainwreck Liverpool.

bcdon
November 18th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I have a Vox VT30 and it has two banks (A/B) named as follows:
A1: Boutique CL
A2: Deluxe Tweed
A3: Super 4x10
A4: AC15TB
A5: AC30HH
A6: Express Train
A7: AC50CP2
A8: UK 25th
A9: US '90s
A10: UK Modern
A11: Boutique Metal

B1: Modded CL
B2: Tweed 2x12
B3: Tweed 4x10
B4: AC15
B5: AC30TB
B6: Boutique OD
B7: AC30BM
B8: UK '80s
B9: Cali Metal
B10: UK '90s
B11: Metal Bull

bigG
November 18th, 2009, 03:45 AM
The Boutique and Boutique OD in the Vox series (ADxxVT and VT) are based on Matchless amps, according to my local Vox dealer's info. (I asked when I bought my AD50VT. He had a list of what some of the other less obvious ones were modeled after, but that's the only one I remember...although I think I remember the US Higain setting is a Mesa.)

Retro Hound
November 18th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Download the manuals. They usually say unless they have to be coy for trademark infringement reasons or something.

That's just the problem, they don't spell it out. I have a Vox VT30, but what is UK 25th? US 90s? Super 4x10? This may be obvious to people who have been playing for years, but I'm trying to learn and get a handle on which amps I like and what the different amps sound like.

And on the G-DEC they just use Tweed 1, Tweed 2, Blackface 1, etc. That means nothing to me.

marnold
November 18th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Here's all the amp models for the Vox Valvetronix VT series.
http://www.valvetronix.net/forums/new-vt-series-amp-models-t2464.html

And the XL series:
http://www.valvetronix.net/forums/vox-ad15-30-50-100vt-xl-amp-models-t3147.html

And the AD series:
http://www.valvetronix.net/forums/ad15-30-50-100vt-series-amp-models-t186.html

valvetronix.net FTW!

Retro Hound
November 18th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks Marnold! That's what I'm looking for!

markb
November 18th, 2009, 01:22 PM
That's just the problem, they don't spell it out. I have a Vox VT30, but what is UK 25th? US 90s? Super 4x10? This may be obvious to people who have been playing for years, but I'm trying to learn and get a handle on which amps I like and what the different amps sound like.

And on the G-DEC they just use Tweed 1, Tweed 2, Blackface 1, etc. That means nothing to me.

Well, I can answer UK 25th and Super 4x10. The former would be a 25xx model Marshall later reissued as the Slash signature and the latter would be a blackface Fender Super Reverb as it's the only amp that fits the description. US 90s is anybody's guess. I think the VT rather overdoes the number of models.

tot_Ou_tard
November 18th, 2009, 01:45 PM
The Boutique and Boutique OD in the Vox series (ADxxVT and VT) are based on Matchless amps, according to my local Vox dealer's info. (I asked when I bought my AD50VT. He had a list of what some of the other less obvious ones were modeled after, but that's the only one I remember...although I think I remember the US Higain setting is a Mesa.)
I thought that the Boutique Clean and Boutique OD were based on Dumbles.

Brian Krashpad
December 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Fwiw, here's the list of voicings on the Fender Super Champ XD (and I believe also for the Vibro Champ XD):

SUPER CHAMP XD
VOICES
TWEED
1 A vintage tone based on early Fender® Tweed Champ® amps.
2 A fat vintage tone based on early Fender® Tweed Bassman® amps.
3 Heavily overdriven Tweed tone.
BLACKFACE™
4 A bright vintage tone based on early Fender® Blackface™ amplifiers.
5 A bright, slightly overdriven vintage tone based on early Fender® Blackface™ amplifiers.
6 A bright, heavily overdriven vintage tone based on early Fender® Blackface™ amplifiers.
BRITISH
7 A bright jangly tone reminiscent of early British combo amplifiers.
8 An overdriven vintage tone based on early high-gain British stack amplifiers.
9 A high-gain distorted tone based on modern British stack amplifiers.
HOT ROD
10 A high-gain overdriven tone based on the Fender® Hod Rod® series of amplifiers.
11 A high-gain distorted tone based on specialized boutique amplifiers.
12 More gain, more sustain!
METAL
13 A darker super high-gain scooped metal tone.
14 A sustained super high-gain scooped metal tone based on modern heavy metal amplifiers like the Fender® Metalhead™.
JAZZ
15 A clean amplifier tone optimized for jazz styles with the character of the Fender® Jazz King™ amplifier.
ACOUSTIC
16 A super clean amplifier tone with the character of an Acoustasonic™ amplifier good for acoustic finger-picking.

I tend to use the #7 voice for distortion a lot-- it'd appear to be modeled on a Vox (probably AC-30) given the desription. 8 and 9 are the vintage Marshall and modern Marshall voices I reckon.

Geoffrey Charles
December 5th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for that BK.

Retro Hound
December 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks Krash. I'm thinking of trading in the G-DEC for something else like the SCXD anyway.

Brian Krashpad
December 6th, 2009, 07:25 AM
No prob guys.

I chanced on a like-new SC XD in a pawn a few months ago, which I picked up for $175. Have been using it as my stage monitor in church, lined out to a bigger cab via a PA head. Has a lot of cool models, and is a tube amp to boot.