PDA

View Full Version : Let's say there's a fire...

Eric
November 18th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hypothetical question:

If all of your guitars disappeared and you had to buy one today (assuming nobody loans you one), what would you buy? Let's say you only have about $300 in the bank.

This isn't a question of what you'd recommend for someone, but rather what you would get for your own use.

sumitomo
November 18th, 2009, 01:10 PM
:what Eric don't even think thought's like that brother!But if that happened I would probably buy a acoustic in that price range,because all my little amphs would be up in smoke as well.:cry::cry: Sumi:D

Eric
November 18th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Initially, I'm thinking I would get one of the budget all-stars like an Agile something-or-other.

R_of_G
November 18th, 2009, 01:24 PM
i'd buy a squier telecaster (approx. $180) and whatever i could get as an amp with what was left over. :)

Eric
November 18th, 2009, 01:28 PM
i'd buy a squier telecaster (approx. $180) and whatever i could get as an amp with what was left over. :)

I'm assuming my pedals, amps, capos, cables, and other such accessories are indestructible and unaffected by fire and other such disasters...

red
November 18th, 2009, 01:29 PM
If I wanted an electric guitar, I'd get a Telecaster. $300 might not be enough, but I would first try to get an old ESP Telecaster, or a second-hand Japan-made Fender Telecaster, or maybe a Fender Baja Telecaster. If all that fails, maybe a simple MIM Fender Standard Telecaster.

If I wanted an acoustic, I don't know. Some Takamine, maybe. They seem like good value for the price.

R_of_G
November 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I'm assuming my pedals, amps, capos, cables, and other such accessories are indestructible and unaffected by fire and other such disasters...

in that case i would buy the best tele $300 would get me. :)

hubberjub
November 18th, 2009, 01:48 PM
If you are just looking for our idea of the best guitars available for $300, I would also recommend a MIM Fender. I'll also second the idea of looking for a used ESP Tele or Strat. That's ESP, not LTD. However, if you have $300 and are looking for a new guitar I would wait. You currently have a guitar or to already. I'd keep saving for a few months and try to get at least $500-600. You are looking in the price range where spending a little extra money can get you a much nicer guitar. I've never spent more than $400 on any of my Fenders and they are all the American Standard series. 4-6 hundred can also get you into some used Gibsons. You live in a pretty big city and that increases your chances of finding a great deal on some good gear.

Eric
November 18th, 2009, 01:53 PM
If you are just looking for our idea of the best guitars available for $300, I would also recommend a MIM Fender. I'll also second the idea of looking for a used ESP Tele or Strat. That's ESP, not LTD. However, if you have $300 and are looking for a new guitar I would wait. You currently have a guitar or to already. I'd keep saving for a few months and try to get at least $500-600. You are looking in the price range where spending a little extra money can get you a much nicer guitar. I've never spent more than $400 on any of my Fenders and they are all the American Standard series. 4-6 hundred can also get you into some used Gibsons. You live in a pretty big city and that increases your chances of finding a great deal on some good gear.

Oh no no. I'm not even remotely interested in another guitar -- just curious about how you personally would approach such a question. I guess your answer is that you'd quit playing until you could buy a more expensive guitar?

This seriously is 100% hypothetical -- no basis in real life.

Algonquin
November 18th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I'd go hunting for a Squier Classic Vibe Tele...

piebaldpython
November 18th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Hmmm...for a regular guitar, I'd go with one of the Squier Teles for $300. Other than a regular git......a used Supro Lap Steel.

sunvalleylaw
November 18th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I would look for another good used MIM 60th Std. Strat like I have. I may not be able to get one for 3 hun, but I might!

deeaa
November 18th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Ok..that's a pretty interesting question. 300, eh? Hmm. It'd be tough.

Most likely, I'd go for something used. Find some older MIM Strat or equivalent perhaps, or a good Gibson copy. If new...I'd say I'd look into a G-400 Epi SG probably, and see if I could upgrade mics to actives.

But yeah, Epi most likely.

FrankenFretter
November 18th, 2009, 02:51 PM
That's a tough one, Eric. In all likelihood, I'd probably look for a used Schecter. I love the one I have, and I didn't pay much for it used. I might also consider an Agile LP copy, but I'm not sure it'd play as nice as a Schecter.

NWBasser
November 18th, 2009, 04:40 PM
A pretty easy answer for me.

After I wiped away the tears, I'd try to find an old used Peavey Foundation.

Hands down, the best bass bargain there is.

For around $100 to $200, you get quality comparable to an MIA Jazz bass.

msteeln
November 18th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Virtually all my stuff is in storage, and the bldg. is far from fire-proof, so a fire would decimate me if it happened. I wouldn't even want to know until long after. But it's not going to!

$300 is a sad number, but better than nothing.

The accoustic route is probably the most prudent, but not for me.
I'd go for a cool cheapie from J&D/FretCity for Spanish electric, or most probably a Rondo 6 str. Hawaiian steel guitar, and a MicroCube.
That combo could be had for the $300 limit, and on a good day maybe a little be left to get a bar and picks. And since the fire would take the house obstensibly, I'd be able to play anywhere I was to hang my hat, or busk and make some more $.

Happy thots, happy thots...

zagatron1
November 18th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Hmmm...$300. Well, if I had to get an amp as well, I'd get one of those Guitar/amp pack things for about $275 or something. Otherwise, I'd get a Squire Standard Strat or Tele for about $249, since I'm a Fender type of guy.

marnold
November 18th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Well, I've got replacement cost on my insurance, so I'd get the money to replace my Dinky! Even at that, I got mine on sale at GC for $299. They seem to have similar blowouts on those every year when the new models come out, so I could maybe pull it off again.

250Keith
November 19th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I would find a used or second EPI LP. I realy like that gutiar

sunvalleylaw
November 19th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I would look for another good used MIM 60th Std. Strat like I have. I may not be able to get one for 3 hun, but I might!

If I could not get the 60th, I would look for a used MIM '06 - '08. I have seen them on Craigslist for close to two hundred. Then I could use the rest troll for for a used Blackheart, Epi Valve Jr. or Vox DA-5. If I could not get a guitar and amph, I would look for a used Epiphone Masterbuilt acoustic to have something to play.

sumitomo
November 19th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Where are you guys plugging these amph's into?After a fire aren't you homeless?Sumi:D

ibanezjunkie
November 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
i think my $300 would go towards replacing my computers and stuff in the event of a fire...

but nonetheless, Tanglewood LP copy.

Retro Hound
November 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
I'd probably get an acoustic/electric.

drunkinminer
March 4th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Another MIM tele that I can convert into another Esquire.

MichaelE
March 4th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I'd wait for the insurance check to come and buy another Turner Model 1.

Katastrophe
March 5th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I probably would go for a decent used acoustic of some sort.

MAXIFUNK
March 5th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I'd wait for the insurance check to come and buy another Turner Model 1.

Co-sign then REPLACE IT ALL LOL!

BUT to answer the question a used MIM Fender or used Hagstrom.

Brian Krashpad
March 5th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Not to cop out, but I'd see what popped up locally used. If I only had 3 bills to work with, I'd want it to go as far as possible.

Looking at what appears to be available right now in the GVL, here are the things I'd check out on that budget:

Kent SG copy w/Gibby hardshell case, $159:
http://images.craigslist.org/3k53m33p85O25P85R4a356b5509ba33461b68.jpg

1969 Royce ES-335 copy, $250:
http://images.craigslist.org/3k13m73o25T85Pf5R2a34715b2f73349e1804.jpg

And for bass, this Hagstrom, $250:
http://images.craigslist.org/3nc3m43p85Oa5Pf5R7a33b8643bf45a201405.jpg

I'd probably wait a few weeks rather than pounce on any of those 3 though.