PDA

View Full Version : LP Studio V.S. LP Standard

MAXIFUNK
November 18th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I have a chance to get a used LP Studio and hard shell case for $800.00 US have not seen yet nor am i sure of the year.

Anyway I told a friend of mine and he said,"Get a standard or whats the point of having an LP"

So, you Gibson players and fans. Whats your own opinions on the pros and cons of either the studio or the standard.

Do tell!!!!

Beat Regards,
Maxi........................................: dude

OK here is the skinny its a cherry red classic LP he said it was a 72 or a 92 drawing a blank on the year he said, I had it all wrong.
Still have not seen it yet.

hubberjub
November 18th, 2009, 04:28 PM
What does your friend play? Why is he so set on a Standard? Why not a Custom or an R series? Play it. If you like it you should think about buying it. I think you could find a used Studio for cheaper than that. If it's in good condition it might be worth it. Buy something you like. That's the most important point.

Brian Krashpad
November 18th, 2009, 05:48 PM
An LP is an LP. Be more concenrned about whether you like the pickups, sound, and playability, than whether it has neck or body binding.

I have a Les Paul Studio Doublecut, and a Les Paul Classic. They're both great guitars, though neither one is a Standard.

No offense, but your friend is being a snob.

ZMAN
November 18th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I have a Studio, and a Standard and a Classic. We are not talking apples and oranges. There are several types of Studio. The later ones are chambered. The usual pickup set for a Studio is the 490 498. A lot of standards have the same pickups depending on year. 800 is an average price for a studio. I purchased a 96 Standard for 1400 Can. I also purchased a 2008 Studio for 1099. My classic gold top was 1900.
The studio depending on the year would have a 50s style neck. The Standard could range anywhere from a 60s to a 50s also depending on year.
Full binding on the Standard to no binding on the Studio. Usually the same electronics, and the same hardware.
In 1980 Gibson did some funky things with the studio. Sales were down and they took Standards and painted over the bindings and sold them as Studios, they were an extremely great buy. Some of the earlier Studios had ebony fret boards.
Without knowing the year and type of Studio it would be hard to say.
Let us have more specs on her and we can probably steer you right.

Plank_Spanker
November 19th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I own two Studios and one Standard - they are all equally nice guitars.

The bottom line for you, maxi, is going be if you like the guitar - plays good, sounds good, feels good, looks good, etc. If you're happy with the Studio, life is good.

Your friend is sniffing corks.

hubberjub
November 19th, 2009, 10:28 AM
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/22634b0571f5a0486.jpg

Eric
November 19th, 2009, 12:25 PM
So, related question: is there any point to a binding other than it looking cool? I've read they're purely decorative in electrics, yet you still find them quite a bit.

hubberjub
November 19th, 2009, 01:03 PM
So, related question: is there any point to a binding other than it looking cool? I've read they're purely decorative in electrics, yet you still find them quite a bit.

Pretty much decorative. Sometimes the fingerboard binding covers the end of the frets. Some people feel a difference.

markb
November 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Binding just hides the joins nicely on acoustics so you don't see the end grain of the top and back. Use on electrics just seems to be Gibson house style from the hollow body electric days where it served the same purpose.

Plank_Spanker
November 19th, 2009, 05:15 PM
The binding is eye candy, but I do love the feel of a bound neck. Good until first refret.......................:)

Kazz
November 19th, 2009, 05:16 PM

The bottom line for you, maxi, is going be if you like the guitar - plays good, sounds good, feels good, looks good, etc. If you're happy with the Studio, life is good.

What did you say he was sniffing again? LMAO:what

Plank_Spanker
November 19th, 2009, 05:18 PM
What did you say he was sniffing again? LMAO:what

Sometimes I just feel the need to call 'em as I see 'em.................:D

MAXIFUNK
November 20th, 2009, 05:52 PM

LMAO @ CORK SNIFFER!!!!

ZMAN
November 22nd, 2009, 08:24 AM
Maxi: I just noticed your update on the original post. That changes everything. The Classic started in 1990, as a reissue of the 1960 Les Paul. They were similar to the historics of today. They listed at over 4000 dollars originally and were actually more expensive than the Standard. They had open coil ceramic humbuckers and are a very collectible guitar. By 92 they had some very flamey tops on them. They even came out with a Premium plus edition. If it is a 92 Classic and is in any reasonable condition I would be all over it. I missed out on a 96 premium plus because of lack of knowledge about them, so I did some homework.
Losing this guitar also taught me a lesson.
I asked a question about the guitar on the Les Paul forum. One of the members noticed where I lived and asked a couple of questions about the location. At the time I didn't know this guy lived 10 miles from the dealer.
He went and scooped it that day before I could get there. Then bragged about it on the forum.
If you can snag it for 800, they are worth in the 1500 to 2000 range all day long.

Kazz
November 22nd, 2009, 08:32 AM
Just to weigh in on an actual opinion instead of just a sarcastic comment :-)

I make frequent trips to Guitar Center to play the typically snobby guitars....and to date my favorite is still the $799 Gibson Les Paul Mahogany. It is a Studio with no frills what so ever but has that dark raw Les Paul sound that IS classic rock. NO BS no flamed maple tops no binding just real Gibson sounding PAF love.

When I picked up my Parkwood acoustic a couple of years back there was a used one there for $549....have kicked myself in the tail every day since then for not snagging it. You will do the same if you pass this one up. $800 bucks....we have all spent that on various guitars, amps, pedals etc.....just tone chasing.....get it....love it....enjoy it. Thank me later.

ZMAN
November 22nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
Kazz: The latest edition of those Mahogany Les Pauls have the Burstbuckers in them. No wonder you like the tone. They are actually a very nice guitar as well. The only experience I have with them is with the SG Mahogany model. That had the open coil 490 498 combo and was an exceptional sounding and playing guitar as well. I have seen some of the mahogany ones polised up, or coated with a couple of coats of clear poly and they look great.
There are a lot of variables out there for sure.

ZMAN
November 23rd, 2009, 09:35 PM
Hey Maxi what was the outcome on the guitar? We are all waiting breathlessly

MAXIFUNK
November 24th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Hey Maxi what was the outcome on the guitar? We are all waiting breathlessly

OPPS, my bad Zman. The owner of the Guitar is my V.P. he has a 59 reissue which he said was #1 now. He Gave us the week off for all of our hard work over the past few months. Well, anyway I'll get to see the LP next week when I am back in the office. I'll update everyone once i have seen it.

Maxi............................

Brian Krashpad
November 24th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Good luck Maxi.

MAXIFUNK
December 2nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
UPDATE:

I NOW have the 1992 Gibson Les Paul Classic in my hands. Cherry red flame top.
I am going to take it to the place I have bought my other 3 guitars and let them give it the once over 1st and if the they say its a go it is a done deal.

He only wants $700.00 for it and will take installments.
Which is totally unbelievably cool I can not believe my luck on this one.
This type of thing never happens to me. :happy :happy joy joy...........
I just now have to find the money after the holidays to start paying him off.

I know I owe you guys a bunch of pics from other post so I'll try to take some tonight and post them by this weekend.

Then once its payed off I am going to have it Pleked since there is a place that does it locally in LA now for only $220.00 USD

http://www.frettek.com/index.html

Maxi..........................

ZMAN
December 2nd, 2009, 07:09 PM
Like I said before you just committed a criminal offence. What ever you do don't tell the shop what you are paying for it. Those are Very desirable guitars. It probably has the original open coil pickups. How is it for marks and dings. If it is pristine I am calling LAPD. LOL

hubberjub
December 2nd, 2009, 09:31 PM
That's a great deal on a classic. Congrats man.

Plank_Spanker
December 3rd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Congrats, Maxi! :dude

Duff
December 3rd, 2009, 09:57 PM
I like the idea of these older gibsons.

I'm concerned about all the weight relieving and chambering that they have been doing to the bodies which was not done to the older gibsons before the eighties.

I'm wondering what the opinions are on the chambering and weight relieving being done presently on the new gibsons and am going to start a new thread to see if any of us have ideas about this procedure.

MAXIFUNK
December 4th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Well guys here you go pics of the 1992 LP Classic needs to be cleaned and setup. Anyway here she is in all her glory.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42960307@N08/4156897553/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42960307@N08/4156896491/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42960307@N08/4156904405/?eOrig=4157656214

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42960307@N08/4156890971/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42960307@N08/4157667830/?eOrig=4156897039

Brian Krashpad
December 4th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Wow, congrats! That is a great deal on a killer guitar, beautiful! :dude

But you beat the crazy deal I got on my '99 LP Classic by fifty bucks! :mad

;)

Plank_Spanker
December 5th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Great looking Lester, Maxi, congrats! :AOK

M29
December 5th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Congrats Congrats Congrats!!!! :rockon

ZMAN
December 8th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I hope you realize that that case is worth between 200 and 300 bucks alone.
A couple of scratches on the back but nothing major. Also a bonus is the inlays are not the greenish tinted ones on the later Classics.
A sweet deal for sure. I would have it appraised. You will be amazed at what it's actual value is.
One other thing. What is the approx. weight on it?

MAXIFUNK
December 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks everyone I am going to take her to get cleaned and set up this weekend.

MAXIFUNK
December 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I hope you realize that that case is worth between 200 and 300 bucks alone.
A couple of scratches on the back but nothing major. Also a bonus is the inlays are not the greenish tinted ones on the later Classics.
A sweet deal for sure. I would have it appraised. You will be amazed at what it's actual value is.
One other thing. What is the approx. weight on it?

I have one of the guys I bought my other guitars from looking into what is actually worth.

i have not weighed it either and have no idea where our scale since we moved 5 years ago. LOL

tele911
December 15th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Wow, that thing looks amazingly hot:cool:

ZMAN
December 15th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Maxi: taking another look at the pictures and that is definitely a Classic plus. They had the Flame maple tops. When I asked about weight, you can probably tell if it is a 10+ pounder or in the 8 to 9 pound. I have a 96 Standard that has the most beautiful tone. It is in the 9.5 range, compared to my Studio and Classic Gold top in the 8 pound range.
How does she play with after a set up?

mrmudcat
December 16th, 2009, 12:56 AM
sweet!!!

Danzego
December 24th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Kazz: The latest edition of those Mahogany Les Pauls have the Burstbuckers in them.

They all have Burstbuckers. That's not something they recently began including. :)

ZMAN
December 25th, 2009, 08:04 PM
The original faded series was in the SG. They came with the open coil 490 498 combo. Then about 3 years ago they came out with the faded Studios. Unlike the other studios that come with the 490 498 combo these had Burstbukers.

Danzego
December 25th, 2009, 11:23 PM
The original faded series was in the SG. They came with the open coil 490 498 combo. Then about 3 years ago they came out with the faded Studios. Unlike the other studios that come with the 490 498 combo these had Burstbukers.

Right, that's what I'm referring to: the Faded LP's. They've always had BB Pros in them, not just the latest edition (as you mentioned). Unless I'm mistaking what you said and you're simply saying the latest ones have BB's, just like the rest of them always have (with the exception of a special UK model that had P-90's in it).

If that's the case, I read what you said as only the latest ones having them because of a lot of confusion over which pickups Gibson uses on the Mahogany Faded Studios. It seems Gibson had the 490/498 P'up combo listed on their site for that model for quite some time, up until a couple of months ago. Understandably, it threw a lot of people for a loop.

ZMAN
December 26th, 2009, 10:45 AM
OK. Heres what I should have said. The Faded Studio series have burstbuckers in them, unlike the regular painted Studios that come with the 490/498 combo. Happy? I didn't know there would be test later! LOL
Merry Christmas.

Danzego
December 26th, 2009, 01:15 PM
OK. Heres what I should have said. The Faded Studio series have burstbuckers in them, unlike the regular painted Studios that come with the 490/498 combo. Happy? I didn't know there would be test later! LOL
Merry Christmas.

Dude, relax. It's not like I'm being anal here, so please spare the sarcasm. :thwap I'm simply trying to clear up any possible confusion you may have (your statement CAN be taken that way, as I was politely trying to explain) or even confusion that your statement could potentially cause for others. That's all. :cool:

ZMAN
December 26th, 2009, 09:00 PM
if you read the whole thread you would see that Maxi was not sure if he had a Studio or Classic. He had dates ranging from 72 to 92. As it unfolded he found it was a 92 Classic.
I am sure you will agree with me that 90% of the Studios out there have the 490/498 combo? And that the "latest" editon of the Faded LP Studio would have been after 92. So really do we need to go over this again.
OH and BTW I wasn't being sarcastic, but now I am. The LOL would mean I was laughing about it.
After 1000 or so posts here I am sure both Robert and Spudman will tell you I do not conduct myself in any manner other than to help.
And again Merry Christmas. Case Closed.

Danzego
December 27th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Yes, I read the thread in the first place. I'm not talking about all of that, so I don't know why you're bringing other models into it, especially SG's. That's not my concern and I was only referring to ONE thing you stated that has nothing to do with ANY of that.

Here. Brass tacks: Kazz mentioned the Mahogany Studio Faded. You said "the latest edition of those Mahogany Les Pauls have Burstbuckers in them." I stated that they all have Burstbucker Pro's in them because they all do. There has been one run of the Studio Faded, from what...2004?...on to today. There is no latest edition of the Studio Faded since 92 or whatever. That's all I'm saying. Does it need to be drawn out any further than that? No, not really, nor does it seem to elicit the eventual response I got from you when trying to explain myself, thanks. But that's two days ago, so whatever. It's done.

So yeah, with that said, one last thing and then I'm done: no offense really, but the ONLY thing that you having over 1000 posts means to me is that you hit the "Submit Reply" button over 1000 times. I don't view it as a sign of someone's reliability, trustworthiness, intent, or any other weird sign some seem to think it should be taken as. It's not that big of a deal. :what

guitars1969
April 25th, 2010, 01:31 AM
OPPS, my bad Zman. The owner of the Guitar is my V.P. he has a 59 reissue which he said was #1 now. He Gave us the week off for all of our hard work over the past few months. Well, anyway I'll get to see the LP next week when I am back in the office. I'll update everyone once i have seen it.

Maxi............................

there is many ways to look at this I own 14 gibson guitars many of witch are Les Paul models. Now the Difference is in the quality of the wood Exotic woods are very expenssive especialy curry maple of Flame maple these are considered grades ...Sometime they are graded as AA or AAA meaning the rarety of the wood In Classic Les paul You will often see AAA (tiple A grade Flame top ) what that means is the Block of wood they used for that guitar is a High Exotic Wood big Bucks because its rare and the way they prepare it is as such... they take this deseased wood (exotic flame wood ) that measures 8 inches wide by 6 inches thick and the cut it perfectly in the midle creating the perfect twin wood to the next one because it follows the same grain and thats how you get a high AAA grade Flame top ..the split of the wood is in the midle of the Les Paul only you will see these in Clasics, Costoms ,and Standards only depending on its grade AA or AAA ...when you start going into Deluxe and Studio your using regular Maple and or peaces left over from the high grade ones sometimes ending up with three pieces on the Body instead of two this creates a lower end Les paul ..Still sounding ok but not getting the sustain tones from the exotic woods you would find in the Classic,,Custom,,or standard .. Hope this help a little