PDA

View Full Version : Ab blues solo

Robert
November 19th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Another lead jam I recorded last night.

Using the exact same settings as on that other C blues jam (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=13577), but this time I used my Suhr Classic, and I used the 4th position on pickup selector (bridge+middle pickup). Otherwise, settings are identical to the other video.

Pedal - the Rabid Rodent (http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/RRv2.htm). Great RAT-inspired distortion pedal. I get really fat and rich tone with this pedal and my GEM. The amp is a Mack GEM (http://www.mackamps.com) and I am playing at very low volume in the 0.4 watt setting. I used a Boss DD-20 delay too. Everything recorded through the camera microphone.

nFPuzk1Cu8g

Tig
November 19th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Wow, what an incredible combination for some seriously sweet tone!
Oh, and that guy's playing isn't so bad, either! ;)

Very nice playing, Robert. That really hit the spot.
I see Mack has your demo video on their site as well.
http://www.mackamps.com/gem-head-combo/

M29
November 19th, 2009, 10:37 AM
That is great Robert! I am curious at what general setting do you usually have the volume set on your guitar, on a song such as this. The Suhr in this case? In past videos? Just your average volume setting?

Thanks Robert as always.

M

Robert
November 19th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I always vary the volume control on my guitars. I prefer to have it set to about 9 on my Suhr. In this example, I have the volume down to 4-5 on that second solo, and I am using no pick for a bit too, so you should be able to hear a softer tone as a result. I am always adjusting the knobs on my Suhr when playing, just trying to get the best tone for the occasion. Trust your ears.

sumitomo
November 19th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Wow! that was great,I'm really liking that little GEM,too bad I'm such a tight wad or I'd get one alittle out of my $ range at the moment.Sumi:D

M29
November 19th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks Robert. Being somewhat new to this guitar thing I have been leaving the volume wide open. Mainly so I don't get any surprises when I accidentally hit the volume knob in a gig. Yikes.:eek: My tone is extra crispy though, this is something I want to work on.
Thanks again and great job, I love that little GEM:AOK

M

duhvoodooman
November 19th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Mmmmm, baby!! That's some meaty tone there, RR! :AOK :applause

tjcurtin1
November 19th, 2009, 06:42 PM
OK - I won't be trying to transcribe THAT one any time soon!

I somehow can't wrap my head around the tone and apparent volume level with the fact that I can sometimes hear the unamplified sound of the pick against the strings...! Nice work, once again. BTW, I like the lighting and setting that you are using these days - lookin' pretty professional:dude

street music
November 22nd, 2009, 07:23 AM
very nice as always

Jipes
November 22nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Nice greasy sound !

Robert
November 22nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks guys, glad you likey!

piebaldpython
November 25th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Damn....Great playing again Robert. Nice tones.

What setting did you have the Rabid Rodent on for this tune?

Robert
November 26th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Damn....Great playing again Robert. Nice tones.

What setting did you have the Rabid Rodent on for this tune?

Thank you!

I used the same as in the other clip - the knobs were on 1 o'clock and the selecter switch on notch 3.

Neal
December 2nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
That would make a very nice training vidio pfoject:happy

Bluenote
December 3rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Some very nice bending Robert!

baldgit
December 8th, 2009, 06:21 AM
great blues riffs! great tone...I enjoyed listening!!....Dan

Robert
December 8th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Thankee-sai - it is fun to just jam and play whatever "comes out" in the moment. Sometimes it sounds decent when I do that, sometimes not... but hey, that's how you can learn. Listen to yourself playing, analyze it and critique it, and play again and again... over time, you will get better at it.

guitardan777
December 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Robert, that was bad to the bone....
Thanks for sharing !